Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legend of Rayburn Drive flying spector.jpg
Halloween 2013 was different for us at the Rayburn Drive Creepy walk this year. Instead of sending TOTs into the woods behind my home or through various scenes in my backyard shielded by makeshift screens and site blocks, we wrote and performed a 5 act play. The Legend of Rayburn Drive.

So why would anyone care about the legend of my street? They wouldn’t. But when my scare actors and I sat down in September and tried to figure out what we could do to change things up again this year, the only exciting idea that hit the table was a performance including all the actors in one location rather than spread out as normal. And with my street containing the word “burn” in it…it was a natural progression to sell a fictitious character called Ray Burn who was essentially a pyromaniac.

The story line follows the narrated tale of Baby Ray (our branded character) who loves fire. We then see him in his teen year, his adult years, returning as a specter and then finally possessing his beloved mother. This ensured that the legend would continue. A must for any spooky tale.

Highlights of the event for me was the fact that we turned over a new crowd in less than 12 minutes (performance was 8 minutes) and our spooky specter who zooms in from my upstairs window through the scene and into the woods. Sadly the video doesn’t showcase our special effects due to lack of light but as new videos and pictures come forward perhaps I’ll have a better shot of it in action. The fake fire we used to show that poor Ray was burning up in the shed was also pretty cool. Once again, the video doesn’t do it justice. No matter. And finally when Mother Burns becomes possessed you only hear her yelling but don’t see that her mouth was glowing and she looked incredibly disheveled as she raced at the crowd flicking a lighter.

I was shocked that out of the eleven performances we did with over 300 people coming through, not one tomato was tossed or mean comment. In fact a few TOTs actually said, “This is the best part of Halloween to me!” So what more can you want?!!!

Next year we might do something similar. Change the location. Change the story. Add in some more jumps outs and scares for sure. We had retired the chainsaw but maybe it'll be back. LOL. But after eight years I’m proud to say I’m still having fun and am thrilled that my neighbors haven’t run me out of town.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnl0TyIHfPQ
Our Face Book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rayburn-Drive-Creepy-Walk/246821702033913

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! My neighbors have been great. A town Face Book page showcased a conversation in which people were upset that "non neighborhood" kids were being dropped off near their homes costing them more money in candy. A few people from my own street actually posted on that same thread and encouraged people to come into our neighborhood knowing we do our thing. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts