Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a few weathered lanterns for my pirate skeleton crew's display, and happened upon some flame effect Christmas lanterns at Walmart! They have the larger flame led light inside frosted plastic lenses. I was going towards the check out area, when i noticed some medium sized lanterns from their home decor section. The Christmas lanterns are $9.98 and require 3 AAA batteries. The metal and glass lantern is $13.86 and is in need of aging/weathering. I had found on Amazon an LED flame effect bulb that also had a battery pack and speed/mode options, it requires 8 AA batteries, but closely resembles flames. It was $19.99, but a versatile prop for the price. I like both options, as I got to break out my brushes and paint for the glass and metal lantern, but the $10 plastic Christmas lanterns are a great flame effect prop that requires no extra work to make them look creepy. Here's some pictures, of them together for reference;
happy haunting!

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you've got an Old Time Pottery around, I think the first lantern pictured is there for $8 in the Christmas section. Thats what I used this year, just took the garland or whatever from inside the lantern then frosted the glass with a little elmers and yellow paint mixed. Also if you've got an Old Time pottery around and like plastic skulls, start checking soon. I think I got 8 last year for a buck a piece once everything went on sale. Turned them all into candles this year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love them! I went ultra cheap on lanterns (also doing a pirate scene) because I've already dropped $$$ on stuff this year. I ended up getting the $2-3 lanterns I found at 99 cents Only store and took the glass plates out because they had witches & stuff on them. So basically window-less lanterns w/ single LED candles in them. Depending on how much energy I have, they'll get paint-treated to age and probably pull some cotton "cobweb" across them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw some similar ones at Bartells at the end of the summer and should've bought them after seeing pictures yesterday and now yours. Doh! Looks really good! Wanna make me some? ;)
If you lived nearby, heck yeah I'd make some for ya! Of course, I'd be asking the same for helping me animate my pirate crew!

·
Registered
13 Posts
These are fantastic at $9.98 each (Walmart), it's a great deal for some atmosphere. They also have a timer function on them. Will stay on for 6 hours and will turn on again at the same time the next day for 6 hours. Runs on 3 -AAA batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts