Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i want to build a Cave in the corner of a building but I dont wanna spend way too much on making it solid just good looking. I would like to have a enterence so people can walk it and maybe put a couch or two in there for sitting. Is there something like a fabric maybe i can wrap around chicken wire to give the effect of rock cave? Any advice would be helpful.:eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Use Monster mud

Sort of like the Grim Reapers that people are making. Soak the burlap and lay it over the chicken wire. Spray paint it for more coloring and effect when it dries after a few days.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
I have a similar project in mind for myself one of these halloweens. Wanted to do a cave entrance just around a doorway or maybe a horizontal bottomless pit (where I thought of putting a giant lurching snake), just enough "cave" so that ToTers knew what they were entering or approaching. Planned on using moss and faux vines and floral around the cave entrance and spooky trees to obscure the framing structure as much as possible. Besides it's meant for the dark in dim lighting so I'm hoping it would work out nicely. Doesn't need to be perfect just realistic enough.

I was inspired by Bear's post here on the forum. Absolutely love what he created. Here's a link to the thread. A few of his pictures are still up, so if you like the idea print out while they are still visible--I can see initial screening and then after the foaming was done. Since this would be a home haunt for me and money is a factor also, I was thinking of experimenting with screening material and cans of wall texturizing spray (for giving drywall a smack down, orange peel, etc. texture before painting). The product Bear used sounds great but out of my budget. Hopefully a few cans of texturizing spray would be enough for my project.

Since this is a future project of mine, I haven't done any tests to see how well the texturizing spray would work. Curious to see what else people have done who have made similar entrances.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I've seen cave walls made from just crumpling up rolls of brown paper(used to wrap packages) or even brown paper sacks and then opened and stapled to the walls.
Pink or blue foamboard melted with a torch also makes great rock-like surfaces.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
I've seen cave walls made from just crumpling up rolls of brown paper(used to wrap packages) or even brown paper sacks and then opened and stapled to the walls.

Pink or blue foamboard melted with a torch also makes great rock-like surfaces.

I would be very careful of the toxic fumes from the foamboard though. Original poster said that the cave was in the corner of a building. Not sure if that was an interior space or not, but could see that being a concern if it is indoors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts