Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Witness your car going uphill in neutral!
One of Florida's best-known free attractions is Spook Hill, in Lake Wales. Located on North Wales Drive (Fifth Street) just a few blocks from the National Historic District, this mystery of nature attracts many thousands of visitors each year.

Children and adults get a thrill as the family car rolls uphill while in neutral, tugged by invisible forces which defy the laws of gravity

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Yea, it's some kind of weird thing where to the naked eye it looks like an incline, but really it's a decline.
That's what I've been told, anyway.
I've seen something about it on TV, Dave and I think you're right. It's some kind of optical illusion caused by the surrounding terrain.

There's a similar thing here in the UK inside a house. it has a table inside which appears to be on an incline. If you place a ball on the table, it appears to roll upwards. It doesn't really, of course..it's something to do with the way the house has settled in it's foundations.

Must be a really strange feeling though....

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
The Old "Haunted Shack" at Knott's Berry Farm had a room like that. The host would break a rack of Billiard Balls and the damn things would roll "uphill" and fall into a corner pocket. Very cool thing to watch.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAH! THats in Florida, I had no idea!!! Im in Florida!!! I am so taking the family there this summer, we have got to do that!!! Thanks for posting girl:)

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Oh one more thing, Super cute shirt there girl:)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I remember seeing Spook Hill on "That Incredible" in the early 80's! Glad to see it's still around!

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is too cool. There is something similar here in San Antonio. We have some railroad tracks where a bus load of kids got hit by a train and if you stop at the tracks your car will get pushed over them. One real popular thing to do is put baby powder on the bumper and when you stop there will be finger prints in the powder. I've lived here 30+ years and have never been to it. A lot of my friends have and the storeies are all the same. Now I have something to do this weekend....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to go past Spook Hill on a regular basis. Glad to know it's still there.

BTW there's a list I found on wikipedia of similar places under "List of magnetic hills".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts