Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some a projector I currently own (Mitsubsihi XD500U), and windows being slim and spaced rather than adjacent or picture windows, I'd like a ghost projection effect to walk across two windows in one bedroom. The only way I believe I can achieve this is by splitting the video signal coming out of my DVD player (composite), feeding the same signal to two independent projectors, one at each window, then experimenting. Either with putting some sort of mask on each lens, aiming things just so, etc. Not sure if this will get me the effect I'm after.

But how should I split the composite video signal? Is it sufficient to buy an inexpensive male RCA to two female RCA adapters, and feed the composite video signal to each projector that way? Or would the signal be too diminished? Should I be using "active" electronics to split the signal or would a passive adapter work fine?

Here is the effect I currently have. Would like the Ghost Maid to pass by both windows rather than one:

Not sure if the source video, even with two projectors, can accommodate what I want. I also have the Ghostly Apparitions DVD, where there's a Horizontal version of a ghost effect named Head of the House. I've used the Vertical version of source video for a single window. But thinking I may have better luck getting this ghost to pass by two windows, using two projectors.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
If you had the Ghost Maid video digitally on your computer, could you make a copy and play that in the second projector? You'd obviously need two DVD players also, but those are very easy to come by.
Then delay one of the projections just so, to make it look like she's walking across the room?

·
Registered
181 Posts
you should be able to spilt the component out cable i have done this many times for recordings and going to different components. so that wouldnt be a problem.

And i get what you are saying, you would display the same image but block out half of it on each projector:
split projector.jpg

·
Registered
683 Posts
Splitting the video cable doesn't split the image it doubles the image. The only way the image could show movement from one projector to the other projector is to use a device that multiplies the original image across two or more video devices, whether they are lcd monitors or in your case, projectors. There are at least that I know of right now, but you will need a desktop/laptop for ideal playback.

1.Member Barrel use multiple projectors (3 believe) to showcases his projected halloween pumpkin faces across a very wide area of lined up pumpkins.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/137543-pumpkin-patch-animation.html#post1677994

He used this, and for the price and need I think its a great investment

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-1920x1080-1600x1200-DisplayLink/dp/B004AIJE9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410817265&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+display+adapter

I bought this for my testing. Its pretty cheap nowadays for the analog model ( I only paid 25 for mine dual head version)
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/analog/

They are connected differently- barrel's unit attach to the usb ports, mine outputs from the vga port. But they the same thing. In your case, you laptop image would show the ghost on one side. if the animation was designed that the ghost moved across the image it would fairly easy to adjust the location of the projector on each room so it would look seamless when it moved from one window to the next.

Disney and other major venues that use projection bombings similar or more industrial types as above but it achieves the same effect: to space the image across an area wider than the max width of one projector

Victor

PS looking it over again using a dvd might work also- you just need an adapter to change the output from composite, S-video, component, hdmi to the matching port on the unit.

Good luck either way you go

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @Dave, @89 (your drawing was what I had in mind, using some sort of mask over each projector lens), and @Victor. Great ideas here. @Victor, wow! is all I can say about the Pumpkin Patch 3 projector effect.

Splitting the video cable doesn't split the image it doubles the image. The only way the image could show movement from one projector to the other projector is to use a device that multiplies the original image across two or more video devices, whether they are lcd monitors or in your case, projectors. There are at least that I know of right now, but you will need a desktop/laptop for ideal playback.

1.Member Barrel use multiple projectors (3 believe) to showcases his projected halloween pumpkin faces across a very wide area of lined up pumpkins.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/137543-pumpkin-patch-animation.html#post1677994

He used this, and for the price and need I think its a great investment

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-1920x1080-1600x1200-DisplayLink/dp/B004AIJE9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410817265&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+display+adapter

I bought this for my testing. Its pretty cheap nowadays for the analog model ( I only paid 25 for mine dual head version)
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/analog/

They are connected differently- barrel's unit attach to the usb ports, mine outputs from the vga port. But they the same thing. In your case, you laptop image would show the ghost on one side. if the animation was designed that the ghost moved across the image it would fairly easy to adjust the location of the projector on each room so it would look seamless when it moved from one window to the next.

Disney and other major venues that use projection bombings similar or more industrial types as above but it achieves the same effect: to space the image across an area wider than the max width of one projector

Victor

PS looking it over again using a dvd might work also- you just need an adapter to change the output from composite, S-video, component, hdmi to the matching port on the unit.

Good luck either way you go

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had no problems using a cheap Y-calbe to drive two projectors from one DVD player. One was 8 ft from the DVD, the other was 25 ft away.

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
mikeerdas,

i'm thinking that you'll want a delay in the image in the 2nd projector so that it looks like it took some time for the ghost to walk from one window to the other, correct? if that is the case, then i'm thinking that you'll need 2 dvd players and 2 projectors ... or else edit the video to that the ghost image in the video is small and as she walks she disappears in one window, (the projector is set up so that she appears large in the windows) and when she appears in the other window you're using the 2nd projector ... i really have no idea if this would be easily accomplished, but theoretically it can be done

hopefully, there is another member who has more insight in the execution than i ...

good luck, and let us know what you've done to get this effect

since the composite signal from the dvd is analog, a y splitter will work

amk

·
Registered
683 Posts
Probably the easiest method I could think of is having two dvds with the dvd player set to auto repeat. Press play on the 1st projector setup, then run to the 2nd projector setup and press play there. Its clunky and its not known whether it will repeat in sync on the 2nd but its easy to try out.

Hey, its Halloween. You were going to be running around anyways!

Victor

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There is a software that lets you project to multiple videos to multiple areas/screens from a computer source with one projector. I'm looking for it now. So you could load the same video twice and off set their timing and run them from a single projector.
I saw it used on someone's house (window, garage door, front door, and side of the wall) and in a museum exhibit (one box here and another there and so on).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Have you check to see if the space in the room allows both windows to be hit with one projector? If yes there is always mapping out each window. You'll also have better control over image size with mapping. You can control the image size in software vs how close/far the projector is from the surface.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bobby, AMK, Victor, Brad, and Icepick. Just ordered an RCA Y splitter cable, one male RCA to two female RCAs--I have a ton of male-to-male RCA cables in the house. So I'll see what I can do with that approach.

Not fond of the two DVD player idea due to the inevitable sync issues. At the risk of sounding like a Ronco informerical, I'd prefer to "Set it and Forget it." :)

@Icepick, don't know that I can get a single projector any further back such that one projector would cover both windows. And a lot of the interesting stuff the ghost projectors do tend to happen in the center of the projection space; that would be "dead" space, no pun intended, between my two windows. So video editing would be required. All I have is a PC and Windows Movie Maker (WMM). And I didn't want to purchase video editing software. Didn't see much in the way of editing options using WMM; but maybe I've missed something or perhaps there are plug-ins.

Thanks again to all for the ideas, even if I haven't responded to each and every one of them. Will continue to re-read the thread and think things over.

mikeerdas,

i'm thinking that you'll want a delay in the image in the 2nd projector so that it looks like it took some time for the ghost to walk from one window to the other, correct? if that is the case, then i'm thinking that you'll need 2 dvd players and 2 projectors ... or else edit the video to that the ghost image in the video is small and as she walks she disappears in one window, (the projector is set up so that she appears large in the windows) and when she appears in the other window you're using the 2nd projector ... i really have no idea if this would be easily accomplished, but theoretically it can be done

hopefully, there is another member who has more insight in the execution than i ...

good luck, and let us know what you've done to get this effect

since the composite signal from the dvd is analog, a y splitter will work

amk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts