Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was going to buy over $100 worth is stuff today for their 50% off sale, but the shipping charges were $57. Ouch. It wasn't anything heavy wigs, a mask odds and ends. I expected @$15 . My savings for items is eaten up and them some in shipping. I usually don't complain but $57 in shipping for maybe 5-10 lb is excessive.:mad:

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
That is ludicrous, matrixmom. If they are not online-only items and you can manage waiting until Fall, you may be better off buying them in-store with coupons.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I kind of expected the same thing in that they always seem to kill you with shipping, but I loaded up the cart and found that shipping was actually reasonable. I had a few masks and a costume. All lightweight stuff but when I kept piling it on the rate only incremented by a buck. I ended up only getting a costume and mask, and shipping was $6.99.

I know what you mean though cause I remember during their last sale where it was absurd that a prop was 50% off, but they were more than making up for that reduction with the absurd shipping costs. Needless to say, that cart got deleted.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've given up on Spirit's online store. Last year I was going to order a foam skull and a pair of plastic hands to use as parts for a prop. The items were on sale and the total was $10 but the shipping was $15.:eek: Needless to say I passed on that "deal".

What I do now is get one of their online discount coupons that is also good in the retail stores and print o stack of them. They usually have a restriction of one item per purchase so I just get one item at a time. If I have to go to the store multiple times so be it. A 50% or even a 25% coupon makes even the inflated retail prices reasonable.

I do the same thing with Michael's and Harbor Freight coupons. It's amazing how much you can save this way.

I'm lucky in that all of the stores are along a single street and that street is one my wife can take to get home. So when we want something she just stops at whichever store and picks up one of the items.

A bonus at Harbor Freight is they almost always have a free item per purchase coupon as well as the discount coupon

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
I've seen a lot of crazy shipping prices lately, too.

I have two, separate orders currently on their way to me for the same prop: Creature from the Black Lagoon Grave Walker.

One of them, I placed an order at TransWorld. The prop price was $49.00. They finally contacted me to arrange shipping. Shipping was $50.00!!!! for a 10lb box.

The other one, I found online after I thought the TransWorld vendor had forgotten about me. The prop price was $70.00. Shipping was only $16.00 for the same 10lb. box.

The crazy thing is...they are both shipping from the exact same place!!! The second one that I ordered, online, is just a retailer for the vendor I ordered from at TransWorld. They contact that vendor and have the prop sent out directly from the vendor to me.

How the same class of shipping, with the same carrier, from the same address, for the same size and weight box can be $16.00 from one shipper and $50.00 from another is beyond me.

It's crazy.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
The shipping charges is the biggest reason we haven't ordered from Spirit

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Yup, it's how they make their money. They lure you in with "discounts" and then jack up the shipping. It's not just Spirit either, I was on another non-Halloween site ordering two discounted Halloween puzzles and they wanted like $20 for shipping! It's been like that all over the place lately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How the same class of shipping, with the same carrier, from the same address, for the same size and weight box can be $16.00 from one shipper and $50.00 from another is beyond me.

It's crazy.
It may have to do with the contract they have with the shipper. I worked at a place that had a very good contract with ups. One time someone had to overnight ship something to us for repair and it cost them about $60 at a ups store and just under $7 for us to overnight it back.
Having said that, I agree completely. I almost bought some stuff from spirit online once. I got as far as the shipping section and decided against it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm not sure what the deal is, but getting their larger props wipes out any real savings most of the time. The 20 dollar oversize charge, above the shipping charge, is a real killer. To have a prop like ghost girl come to 70 bucks in shipping is beyond bad- that's just broken. If their shipping contract is that bad, that will KILL your chances of making money from your website. If it's just them gouging beyond belief, big shame on them- BIG. I've seen most of the large prop boxes in person. They aren't that particularly large and none are that heavy- many of them light. But even if it's based purely on size, it doesn't make any sense. I've gotten furniture for way less. But seriously, don't have a 99 dollar sale on select props and then levy a 70 dollar shipping charge. That's not gonna make anyone happy or willing to spend.

·
Registered
401 Posts
To add insult to injury, I got my shipment the other day and found a costume had some stains on it. I ordered the World War Z mask (quite nice btw for $15) and some killer/crazy clown like costume for $25. I pulled the costume out of the plastic bag and right away noticed these stains that looked almost like blood or maybe some reddish oil?

I found the only way to get through to a person to talk about replacing the order was to select 2 as if I was going to place an order. All of the other choices dump you into purgatory. Fortunately the lady was helpful and simply issued a refund. I asked if she was going to send a label so I could RMA it and she was like naaaa, it's not worth the shipping to return it as we'll just throw it away. HA, how ironic...don't want to pay shipping.

But like I said, the world war Z mask is pretty good ;-)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I highly suggest checking Amazon for this stuff, especially if you have Prime. It's worth the $75 a year. Your order gets to you in a couple of days & if you need it next day it's only $3.99. I think they may have raised that fee, or will be raising it, but even if it's raised to $100 you could easily spend that much on 3 shipments in the holiday season alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts