Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three of the amber spotlights this year. Used two of them tonight as we were doing a light test on our display. After less than two hours, one of them stopped working. The bulb became very dim and while there is a very faint light, it obviously is defective. So it's 4 days until Halloween. I don't have the receipt as it worked when I bought it. what are the chances of them replacing or refunding my money? Sad part is they don't have any more in stock. Supposed I'm hosed for the 25 bucks?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sorry for the disappointment- and hopefully you can get store credit. Was this spotlight made by Gemmy? I bought many spotlights from Home Depot made by Gemmy. I wonder if they have a decent lifespan, or if they are flimsy and I should expect them to not last long?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own several of these in different colors and so far this is the only one that malfunctioned, but really? Two hours of use!? I just want them to make it right. Hoping they do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought 2 of these lights as well & have been running them for the past few nights, have had no problems as of yet. They look & work great thus far. Sucks that you got a bad one, but I am sure if you take it in & let them know they might be able to swap it out for you?

·
Registered
896 Posts
After 10/16 all sales are final with Spirit if you got it in the store and I had issues with returned stuff at my store. They do sell those type lights at Home Depot and Lowes but I haven't seen amber colored ones.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Gemmy produced a product that crapped out and I don't see how that is Spirit's issue. Spirit allows returns/exchanges thru the 16th since they are a temporary seasonal store. If they were year round they probably would have a 30 day return policy like many other stores. By not buying early and not trying out stuff until the last minute, you run the risk of running into their cutoff date.

I don't know whether manufacturers routinely handle returns/exchanges on defective mdse or not but I'd be asking Gemmy for an exchange on a defective product. They would probably want to see a sales receipt to see when you bought it.

·
Mummy Dearest
1,149 Posts
We bought "black lights" bulbs and returned them yesterday because they were "red" and not uv blacklight like we wanted. They gave us a store credit. It was pretty easy. But, our lights weren't broken.
:( I feel you though. Just got my fire and ice spot light and it arrived broken.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The one Spirit store we went to emphasied about if we needed to return anything it had to be by the 17th. My main halloween is the first 2 weekends in Oct for teh Halloween campouts so I get to use everything before the return date. I bought 2 Toxic, 2 Fire and Ice, Green spotlight and Black spotlight and they all worked good without any issues.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Called them today and explained the situation. The guy said they could give me an even exchange with no receipt, but if I just wanted to return it I'd need one. I told him the exchange would be fine. Of course they have every color but amber so he said he'd hold the color of my choice for me until tomorrow. I took the defective one and removed the lens cover on it. Plugged it in again and it works fine! WTF. Put the lens cover back on and tightened it down but noticed if I tighten it too much it won't work. I loosened up the one screw and it's fine. I'm not sure but its working now and at least its the color I want so guess I'll keep it and call them tomorrow and let them know what happened.

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
Called them today and explained the situation. The guy said they could give me an even exchange with no receipt, but if I just wanted to return it I'd need one. I told him the exchange would be fine. Of course they have every color but amber so he said he'd hold the color of my choice for me until tomorrow. I took the defective one and removed the lens cover on it. Plugged it in again and it works fine! WTF. Put the lens cover back on and tightened it down but noticed if I tighten it too much it won't work. I loosened up the one screw and it's fine. I'm not sure but its working now and at least its the color I want so guess I'll keep it and call them tomorrow and let them know what happened.
Made in china???

Let's see......

WTF....

World .....

Trade....

What does the "F" stand for again? I keep forgetting that one...

·
Registered
503 Posts
you're lucky, the ones here are out of the lights. They do in a pinch. I bought 3 blue ones after last season and they are working great outside, even though "inside use only." I have two of the color change ones I need to rehome. I will probably add a couple of stand alone red and greens just to mix it up a bit. I do plan on adding 1-3 more units to my darklight system if I could find a good vendor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts