Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish sometimes I lived in America just so I can get good shipping rates!!! You guys don't know how good you've got it.

I love Spirit Halloween, I love their stuff and I love their sales but shipping to my address in Canada is outrageous (and no I don't live in an igloo out in the middle of nowhere and ride a dog sled to town each day for milk and bread.) I live in a smaller town 3 hours away from a major city and 4 hours from a Spirit Halloween store.

Here is an example of the craziness:

I want to buy 8 of these:
http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/Fn-Vampire-Skull-Chain/

They were $5.00 each so $40.00 total.

Shipping for all 8 of these is $97.99

After tax I would be paying $141.19

$97.00 to ship 8 plastic pieces of chain? Come on Spirit....even when I change the quantity to 1 they still want $20 or shipping

The good websites like Amazon and most clothing websites will offer free shipping after $100 in purchases or something along those lines but I guess Spirit doesn't want my online business :(

It's not fair!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I feel the exact same way every time I calculate how much it would cost to ship an Ikea Detolf cabinet from the Jacksonville, FL area to my house, which is way less than 500 miles away. [The shipping would cost way more than the cabinet.]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I feel the exact same way every time I calculate how much it would cost to ship an Ikea Detolf cabinet from the Jacksonville, FL area to my house, which is way less than 500 miles away. [The shipping would cost way more than the cabinet.]
I can get a kids twin bed from Ikea delivered to my door for $27.00 shipping yet Spirit wants $97.00 for 8 plastic chains...go figure.

·
Registered
680 Posts
See, that's exactly why I never order anything from Spirit. Every time I even consider it, theres some wackiness going on that would make it cost-ineffective, and so it never happens.

$97 shipping, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool that is hilarious.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
wensteve, I'm in Ottawa, Spirit usually opens here mid September. If you want them come September e-mail me and we can work something out so I can pick them up and ship them to you to save you the 8 hour round-trip. Odds are they will be around $7-$8 each in store.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
That vampire chain is made by Forum Novelties and they do sell Forum products thru Amazon. I did a search for "Forum Novelties chain" and didn't see this item listed right now but you might want to keep checking Amazon back every so often if you get decent shipping from them.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Where in Canada do you live? I could get something for you from spirit when they open up and ship to you if you wanted. Could be cheaper than regular CP too because hubs gets a deal on shipping via his work. Let me know! (I'm in Lethbridge Alberta if it is any closer to you than do to)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wensteve, I'm in Ottawa, Spirit usually opens here mid September. If you want them come September e-mail me and we can work something out so I can pick them up and ship them to you to save you the 8 hour round-trip. Odds are they will be around $7-$8 each in store.
Awe I use to live in Ottawa...I miss that city. Anyway, thank you so much for the offer, I think I will just try and make them on my own. We do make a trip to Edmonton in September usually just for Halloween supplies. The Spirit Halloween store there is open year round. Thank you for the offer though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where in Canada do you live? I could get something for you from spirit when they open up and ship to you if you wanted. Could be cheaper than regular CP too because hubs gets a deal on shipping via his work. Let me know! (I'm in Lethbridge Alberta if it is any closer to you than do to)
We are in Cold Lake, AB. Thank you for the offer. We normally make an Edmonton trip every fall for Halloween supplies so I think we will just wait or make them ourselves.

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Even on this side of the boarder the shipping prices are bad. You guys have it way worse, no doubt. But a few months back I was thinking about buying an animatronic prop that was $99.99 during their "big animatronic sale", then the shipping was $99.99! WTF? I could only imagine what they would try to charge you for the same item.
I've officially started boycotting Spirit Halloween. Between their price gouging, high shipping prices, horrible customer service, poor quality and quality control, and just overall attempts to scam as much money out of us as possible while attempting to get away with selling the cheapest crap possible, I'm done.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Even on this side of the boarder the shipping prices are bad. You guys have it way worse, no doubt. But a few months back I was thinking about buying an animatronic prop that was $99.99 during their "big animatronic sale", then the shipping was $99.99! WTF? I could only imagine what they would try to charge you for the same item.
I've officially started boycotting Spirit Halloween. Between their price gouging, high shipping prices, horrible customer service, poor quality and quality control, and just overall attempts to scam as much money out of us as possible while attempting to get away with selling the cheapest crap possible, I'm done.
I understand people's complaints about SH's and other stores' shipping costs, especially when other places like GR for example have pretty decent rates. I do think with UPS changing their rate structure at the end of the year to include dimensional calculations as well (so no big boxes with light foam stuff in it going for cheap), this shipping inequality we see and take advantage of will disappear. Hard pressed to find ways to ship economically if not using a major carrier like a UPS or FedEx. I've seen the USPS rates go up dramatically over the last few years as well and if they weren't regulated sure it would have gone up faster. BTW SH uses FedEx I'm pretty sure and they (FedEx) added dimensional shipping calculations a while back. Think FedEx was the first to adopt it. I'm sure all stores that use FedEx have had potential customers balk at the shipping costs. Here's what SH's website says regarding shipping: "Our shipping costs are determined by the carrier based on the dimensional shipping weight of the package used to ship the order. Some items may even include an additional shipping fee because they are considered an oversized product." It's not like SH is making out on the shipping. So if you don't like SH's shipping charges, it's coming to UPS soon like it or not. This is going to affect everybody and probably prevent a lot of people from buying and ordering things and I think hurt the economy overall. Seeing this coming down the road, I'm glad I have been adding to my halloween haunt themes each year and not starting out.

I've had good customer service from my local SHs and have tried to make it in every year for in-store special discounts they've run locally, taken advantage of their 20% off coupon each year, and for sure their day-after-halloween blow out sales have netted me the biggest bang for my buck. As for cheapest "crap", well a lot of it is Tekky Toys and other mfgrs for the props, the same you will see sold elsewhere unless its an exclusive for them that year. And the costumes and accessories are all pretty much standard items sold to all of the halloween shops. Most people don't build their own props, have the money to spend on semi-commercial ones, and I think a lot of families keep this stuff for a few years and either donate it or do a yard sale so are just fine with what they offer. I know I'm in that boat, although I do hold onto my halloween stuff and try my best to find storage for it but alot of people just don't have room for it.

Personally I can't wait until my local stores open each year. Since I have stores close to me it would be silly to pay any additional shipping (which I 'm sure gets factored into the cost of the props on the floor anyway since they need to get it to the store). I hate that stuff in general even outside of halloween mdse has gotten more expensive for less (size, quality, availability) but don't see the need to boycott a store over it.

So where are you shopping if you're not going to SH any more?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No worries! Offer still stands if you need it! I'm envious of cold lake! You're the second person today I've talked to in my online circle that lives in cold lake haha it's a gorgeous place! Used to go there for my braces in highschool...my favorite place to eat what a little shop near the waterfront that had an old soda shop feel...they had great clam chowder haha

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
I understand people's complaints about SH's and other stores' shipping costs, especially when other places like GR for example have pretty decent rates. I do think with UPS changing their rate structure at the end of the year to include dimensional calculations as well (so no big boxes with light foam stuff in it going for cheap), this shipping inequality we see and take advantage of will disappear. Hard pressed to find ways to ship economically if not using a major carrier like a UPS or FedEx. I've seen the USPS rates go up dramatically over the last few years as well and if they weren't regulated sure it would have gone up faster. BTW SH uses FedEx I'm pretty sure and they added dimensional shipping calculations a while back. Think FedEx was the first to adopt it. I'm sure all stores that use them have had potential customers balk at the shipping costs. Here's what SH's website says regarding shipping: "Our shipping costs are determined by the carrier based on the dimensional shipping weight of the package used to ship the order. Some items may even include an additional shipping fee because they are considered an oversized product." So if you don't like SH's shipping charges, it's coming to UPS soon like it or not. This is going to affect everybody and probably prevent a lot of people from buying and ordering things and I think hurt the economy overall. Seeing this coming down the road, I'm glad I have been adding to my halloween haunt themes each year and not starting out.

I've had good customer service from my local SHs and have tried to make it in every year for in-store special discounts they've run locally, taken advantage of their 20% off coupon each year, and for sure their day-after-halloween blow out sales have netted me the biggest bang for my buck. As for cheapest "crap", well a lot of it is Tekky Toys and other mfgrs for the props, the same you will see sold elsewhere unless its an exclusive for them that year. And the costumes and accessories are all pretty much standard items sold to all of the halloween shops. Most people don't build their own props, have the money to spend on semi-commercial ones, and I think a lot of families keep this stuff for a few years and either donate it or do a yard sale so are just fine with what they offer. I know I'm in that boat, although I do hold onto my halloween stuff and try my best to find storage for it but alot of people just don't have room for it.

Personally I can't wait until my local stores open each year. Since I have stores close to me it would be silly to pay any additional shipping (which I 'm sure gets factored into the cost of the props on the floor anyway since they need to get it to the store). I hate that stuff in general even outside of halloween mdse has gotten more expensive for less (size, quality, availability) but don't see the need to boycott a store over it.

So where are you shopping if you're not going to SH any more?
FedEx, that explains a lot. I hate them too and try to avoid them like the plague. Personally I can put up with a lot from most companies. I get it, they need to make a buck and they are geared toward the people who would rather spend the money than try to make it themselves. But at the same time I'm watching them take advantage of those people by cutting corners and jacking up prices. Is the product unique to the store? No. Is everyone charging about the same for most of this crap? Yeah, pretty much. But it's been the way they have gone about it in the past year that has turned me off to them and their parent company, Spencer's.
I haven't bought much in the past year from anyone. I have been mad at the jacked up prices and overall poor quality of most the items I have seen all over. The only times I've purchased anything was at "deeply" discounted prices or on sale/with coupon if I really liked it. I've rarely purchased anything at full price unless it was something I needed or really wanted. I bought some things at my local dollar store, Lowe's, HomeGoods, Kohls, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and few other places I can't think of. Last year we only had a Spirit store near us (year before we had both Spirit and Halloween City), but it didn't open until October and had a very limited selection despite the fact that the location was large and the area was affluent (people would have shelled out good money for a lot of the stuff).
This year I'm not sure what my game plan is for shopping. I'll see what everyone has, but I've been moving more towards trying to make my own props. I'm really sad that quality has taken a nosedive overall as I remember some very nice and affordable items back when I before I could actually do any of this and I said one day. But when the day finally came, the selection was poor and the quality was questionable. I was able to buy a few things, but every year I find less and less. I know I'm not imagining things either, because I have friends and co-workers that have donated their old props to me and I've gotten some very nice things that are a much better quality from "back in the day".
I still follow Spirit on Facebook and I'm hoping they will improve, but for now I'm not buying from them. It sucks because I know they are a sponsor of this forum.

(sorry for any spelling/grammar errors, I've been working a lot of early shifts and not getting enough sleep)

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,735 Posts
Actually, Many shipping costs have been decreased this season.

Spirit Halloween has been listening to their customers and and have reduced the shipping costs on hundreds of items. You may want to return to their site and see if these reduced shipping costs in your cart http://www.spirithalloween.com/

As you may know Spirit Halloween is a sponsor of the forum. If you have any customer service issues make sure to send me a private message and I will help you resolve it.

Make sure to shop early as Spirit Halloween does have an awesome return policy as long as it is addressed by around Oct 18 (that was last year's date). During the last few days before Halloween all sales are final.

I buy many props from SpiritHalloween.com and have them delivered and have only had one issue so far. I shot them an email and had a replacement in days.

If you have any problems with any purchases this year please contact me right away and I will be happy to help get it resolved.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries! Offer still stands if you need it! I'm envious of cold lake! You're the second person today I've talked to in my online circle that lives in cold lake haha it's a gorgeous place! Used to go there for my braces in highschool...my favorite place to eat what a little shop near the waterfront that had an old soda shop feel...they had great clam chowder haha
It is a very nice little city. We are growing pretty quickly too...I blame the Oil Companies lol. The place you are thinking about is called Clark's. It's still open :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
good to hear it is still running! Yeah....I know all about oil company growth...we just moved down to lethbridge in january. we lived in fort mac previously! I miss it, but living there on one income (I'm a stay at home mom until both kids are in full time school) that isn't oil industry is tough. (hubs works in radio) we sold our little duplex up there for just under 500k, and then down here purchased a huge house with a big backyard for less than 350k....definitely worth the move lol

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Yea, I was also gonna say if anybody in Canada wants something from the $pirit Halloween $tore I'd be glad to buy it and ship it for you. Whatever it cost me is what I'd ask in return.
Yes, $pirits shipping prices are outrageous enough in the US. I can imagine how much they would balloon for going to Canada.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I have bought lots from Spirit at our local stores but haven't purchased anything online from them. Unfortunately, I can see how we get to the $97.99 quickly if this includes all the various shipping charges associated with bringing in items from the US.

You'll see it might not be Spirit "gauging" Canadians, the actual shipping using a Carrier is what adds up quickly.

Import taxes ON - (13%) = $5.00
Brokerage - if you don't have an agent this can range from $40-60 per shipment with UPS or Fedex. This is the cost to get cleared across the border.
Handling - add on to shipping most companies levy for the customs paperwork - $4-6
Actual Shipping charge - $30-$50

I know we all have gotten things cheaper from the US, but the importation of the items was probably not done properly.

How do some (normally smaller) companies get around this from the US???
Many will ship USPS and indicate "Gift" on the package even though it is not a gift, it is a purchased item. Quite frequently the USPS/Canada Post is a cheaper alternative as no signature is required unless Priority Service is selected.

There's no import tax or brokerage due on a "Gift". This alone saves $45-65 on this purchase.

This in theory is not an acceptable practice but I clearly love when the smaller companies do this to save on my out of pocket costs.
I don't think Spirit/Spencers is in a position to send anything USPS as a gift and risk angering Candian Border Services, as this could eventually lead to difficulty importing items for the Canadian Spirit locations.

In the end, the associated Import Costs stink, of which only a portion of this is the actual shipping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts