Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a dumb question but I just want to be sure. Is there any difference between Spirit Halloweens Try Me buttons and the Step Here pad. I ask because this weekend I picked up the Sickening Reaper and Pumpkin Nester. In store, both use the Try Me button. The instructions for the Reaper say you can use the Step Here pad for activation. The Pumpkin Nester has a connector that looks like it would work with the pad, but in the store display its hooked to the Try Me button. The instructions for the Nester say nothing about the Step Here pad. It seems like that is something you would push, so people buy the extra step pad, and the sound activated Nester is annoying, I'd rather the pad. I don't want to try it, and fry it. That would be my luck. Thanks in advance.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
I saw a bucket full of those "try me" buttons at Spirits. I thought I could use it with the jumping spider but it wasn't on the list on the back of package, bummer.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The new step pad is the one you should try and get because it has both adapter connectors on it. Look closely and confirm the one you're buying is the new one. Old step pads are still out there mixed in. And they will work, but only with props that take a step pad, not a try me button. The new pads work with both. And don't worry about frying the props. Just use care when inserting the plastic connector for the step pad into a prop. Put it in facing the correct way, don't force it, and remove it by the plastic- don't wank on the wire. The step pad connector is the more delicate of the two.

And I'm with you Larry- a large size would be great.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It is surprising that Spirit doesn't have more trigger options with their higher end animated figures (infrared, laser, etc).

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Didn't realize there were two different step pads out there until seeing this thread. If anyone has the the two step pads out and can post a comparison photo showing the differences I'd appreciate it.

Also I picked up a few buttons and step pads last year during their after halloween sale. Would these be the old version then? I noticed from the link posted above that the step pad on the SH site is yellow. Believe mine are all green. Is that the quick way to tell the difference?

@@Crazy4holidays, nice choice of props. Admired them both in the store.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The way to tell the difference is the new pads have two connectors- the plastic plug for typical step pad and an 1/8" jack, found on try me buttons. The back of a new step pad package is clear so you can look closely at the back of the package to make sure you have the two different connectors. I did a video on the new pad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just tried which one, the pad or the button? And you do have it set to the footpad position right?
There is no switch for anything on the nester. I tried it again, and i guess i didn't "Step Here" hard enough the first time because on the second go it worked.

@@Crazy4holidays, nice choice of props. Admired them both in the store.
Thanks. They were must haves for me.

·
Registered
602 Posts
be careful if there is a separate port for the try me button it might not give the performance you want, I purchased a talking funeral urn the try me button would only play one of the messages not cycle through all of them

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Also, keep in mind that the "Try Me" button is exactly that... a button... a switch. It closes the circuits and things trigger. The old-style step pads were NOT switches, as many have sadly discovered. Not sure what the new step papds are like. Perhaps they have changed them up to act more like a switch, which would be preferable.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Also, keep in mind that the "Try Me" button is exactly that... a button... a switch. It closes the circuits and things trigger. The old-style step pads were NOT switches, as many have sadly discovered. Not sure what the new step papds are like. Perhaps they have changed them up to act more like a switch, which would be preferable.
Nope. The new style step pads look like this inside:

0902131754.jpg 0902131756.jpg

That is, exactly like the old Spirit (Tekky) step pads, but with a double wire so that the same signal can go to two different plugs.

No. They just close the circut to activate the prop.
Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Spirit's step pads don't act as a closure switch, they instead have a piezoelectric disc inside (see the second picture above) that generates a small voltage when disturbed. They're only going to work reliably with props that are designed for them specifically. Like CreepyCreations said, the try me buttons are just simple switches. The "Step Here" pads are active signal generators, NOT switches.

·
Registered
500 Posts
does anybody know if this step pad will work for 24 volt. I have to air blasters with 24 volt valves.
Nope. The step pad piezos aren't going to be generating more than a few volts, and even if they could go up to 24V (piezos are capable of generating fairly high voltages when really flexed), the current generated would be vastly too low to operate a valve solenoid. You're better off making your own closure-type step pad and switching a 24V source off of that. I'm slightly uncomfortable putting 24V through a aluminum tape or foil contact step pad - it might be ok, but especially driving a solenoid, that's getting into territory where you might get more resistive heating than you want. Safest would be to use the step pad to run no more than 12V (and preferably more like 5) through a relay, and use that to switch the 24V.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Shellman/CDW, I don't think the output from one of those step pads would even run a relay on its own. They generate more of a very short pulse, which isn't going to do much for a relay. You'll need some sort of a circuit that uses the step pad as a trigger, then uses that to fire a relay or whatever.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Shellman/CDW, I don't think the output from one of those step pads would even run a relay on its own. They generate more of a very short pulse, which isn't going to do much for a relay. You'll need some sort of a circuit that uses the step pad as a trigger, then uses that to fire a relay or whatever.
Good point - I should clarify that I meant to use the home-made closure-type step pad with the relay, not that you can use the Spirit pads with a relay. The Spirit pads can't be used with much of anything other than the props designed for them. Has anybody made a circuit that will reliably trigger off of a Spirit piezo step pad? It probably wouldn't be too hard to make, but it also doesn't seem like something there's much demand for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts