Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go into Spirit here and there when they pop up around me, but I'm never overly impressed with the props. This year I found a few things I would like to buy, but I want to wait until Nov. 1 when it drops to 50% off. Do they only do the 50% off decor in store or is it online too? I've never really paid attention in the past.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You know why you're not overly impressed with the props? Because the props aren't really worth Spirit investing much in. And why is that? Because too many people wait until Nov 1 to buy them. Props are not much more than loss leaders for Spirit. They pick stuff that's good enough to generate interest and get people to come to the store to buy costumes, which is where Spirit makes their money. Then they sell out the props and other stuff at a fractional profit on Nov 1. It's not like Spirit makes it hard to buy before Halloween. They're always offering 30-40% off coupons before Halloween, and still people won't buy until Nov 1.

Maybe if people started actually buying props the way they buy costumes and candy, i.e., before Halloween and at a better mark-up for vendors like Spirit, we would get more impressive props and decor items. Sorry to rant, but I just get tired of reading comments from people bemoaning the quality of props and decor items and then talking about waiting till Nov 1 to buy anything. :(

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not the type of person to wait around just to get a deal if I find something I like. Where I live there are a few costume stores that do Halloween all year long and have quality props. Nothing ever gets marked down and I usually prefer to spend my money in their stores and support a local business. I have never been a huge fan of Spirit, I usually end up with 4 or 5 stores near me, I'm never overly impressed with them. This year I found a couple of decorations that I liked. But $30 for a cheap plastic decoration that could be blown away in the wind is beyond ridiculous. I bought a few items that I thought were fairly priced. But I refuse to pay an exorbitant amount of money for some cheap Chinese crap. If I got my hands on some 40% off coupons I could be swayed to go in and buy something before November 1st.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I DROVE a distance to go to a Spirit Store. This was a week and a half ago. The Store was out of two of the Props that I wanted to buy and was out of the fire and ice spots that I wanted. I would have thought that 2 1/2 weeks before Hween I would have been safe. If you wait till Nov 1st you may be out of luck. If the item is not a must have then you should be safe. If you want plastic swords and spider webs you should be fine. Me I was disappointed.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,573 Posts
I've said this before & will continue saying it, Spirit isn't really a store for most of the folks here who are into home haunting & making their own props. If they had $300 props that worked well & didn't die in the first hour of running, people would still complain it's too much money. Spirit has tons of costumes (which most people will need) & stuff for the people having a party on Friday or Saturday that will use that prop for a few hours & then move on. Their props aren't meant to be outside 24/7 for a month or more & never have been.

Not that members here don't go there to buy stuff but most go in knowing what they're getting & getting into. Plus, no matter what you think of the store & the quality (or lack thereof), it's still pretty cool to go into for ideas & the fact that it's one of the few seasonal Halloween stores around. Spirit is better than no Spirit or any kind of seasonal Halloween store.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I usually buy several items from Spirit each year when they first open. Last year was my first time going on November 1st for deals. I bought a few things that I did not open until the last week or so and I was disappointed in the quality of two of them. My bad for waiting but the point is that to get the best stuff at Spirit, go early in the season, there are plenty of coupons available, not as good as the Nov. 1st deals, but worth it for the selection. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I'm looking at the zombie lawn jockey. They have him priced at $30, but looking online today I found him at Party City for $15. I also liked the little baby gargoyle, I might go back and get him since they are sold out online.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
You know why you're not overly impressed with the props? Because the props aren't really worth Spirit investing much in. And why is that? Because too many people wait until Nov 1 to buy them. Props are not much more than loss leaders for Spirit. They pick stuff that's good enough to generate interest and get people to come to the store to buy costumes, which is where Spirit makes their money. Then they sell out the props and other stuff at a fractional profit on Nov 1. It's not like Spirit makes it hard to buy before Halloween. They're always offering 30-40% off coupons before Halloween, and still people won't buy until Nov 1.

Maybe if people started actually buying props the way they buy costumes and candy, i.e., before Halloween and at a better mark-up for vendors like Spirit, we would get more impressive props and decor items. Sorry to rant, but I just get tired of reading comments from people bemoaning the quality of props and decor items and then talking about waiting till Nov 1 to buy anything. :(
Sounds kind of like the chicken/egg argument.

If there's something I really want at Spirit I will usually buy it (with coupons) early because it may be sold out by Halloween. I disagree with the premise that we need to buy the crappy props early at full price as a way to encourage stores to stock better merchandise. All that will do is convince them we like crappy props.

This clip, which I still remember more than 30 years later, explains it better than I can:

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
It seems as if the opportunity to go in for after-Halloween clearance at a Spirit store must be a regional thing - most stores in the Southern California area are done and closed after October 31st.

Outside of the occasional minor costume accessory or decor item, I have found little at Spirit (or any other seasonal Halloween store) in the last 7 or 8 years that is able to entice me to part with my money, whether it be full price, 40% or 50% or whatever.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
I buy my must-have props fairly early in the season using my 20% coupon. I don't go every year to the day after sale, kind of depends on whether there's any money left and how motivated I feel. On the years I have gone I have to say I came away with some nice props. Apart from some of the popular props that get snagged as soon as the doors open, lighting items, foggers and fog juice, and step-pads and AC adapters are pretty fast sellers. Some people jump at the chance for some of the more expensive costumes too. It helps to have a plan for the coming year and have a shopping list to work off of.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I go Nov 1st every year. Totally agree about quality of props. The most off coupon I ever could get my hands on was a 20% off. I go in just for the feel of Halloween, not many stores are totally devoted to Halloween. lol To answer your question, I believe the used to do 50% off online, but not anymore. They do have some sales after Halloween, but not an across the board 50%off online. Sign up for their email alerts, I made a score on a prop I'd had my eye on for a couple years and got it for well over 50% back in August.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Depending when Halloween falls, affects which items and how much is discounted. Last year, (Thursday), they stayed open through the weekend.
Props and decorations 50% off and Costumes 30% (I think) on Nov 1. The theory being that on Friday 11/1 there would still be Halloween parties.
I would expect the same with this years Friday Halloween, Saturday props 50%, costumes 30%-25%, Sunday 50% everything, that's still on the floor.
Some items get packed up earlier and are not on the floor day of 50% off.
I am a Spirit store supporter and visit and buy/visit from 5-6 different each year. That said, just from second hand comments and in store visual, some props get opened and resealed (returns with problems?) and can be sold in the store or over website (after being sent back to warehouse).
The Fire and Ice lights gone for several weeks along with the attic (?) light, now I can't find ANY stores with any of the outdoor LED lights.
Last night in a Lowes, they were out of the projection led lights (the blue fire and ice).
So if you want it (or must have) buy it, if your willing to travel to several stores on 11/1, you can save money, but check what your are buying in the store.
There are some Haunters that sell this years Spirit items right after Halloween on e-bay. They keep themes fresh and don't want to store.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I normally use my 20% off coupons for stuff I want before Halloween. Props are so sketchy that I normally wait until Nov 1. One year we went on Halloween morning to visit Spirit and there were several props that had been returned that were broken. We got some $60+ pieces for $10. We used the pieces to make our own props.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts