Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a high voltage box that closes about 90% of the way with no issue, however it jumps back open and will never go down all the way to hit the relay switch. A perfect video example is this:

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I've been working on it for a while and it looks like there may be a tooth missing on the last square shaft gear. I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have one, would have to see the inside, might be some kind of stripped gear causing the wind up and release mechanism to release.

Edit: Just read the last sentence you posted. Can you observe the gears at all while the prop is operating? From behind maybe? That would give away what is happening. If there is a tooth missing it could cause the mechanism to release.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You came to the right place! See the attached photos. It's a switch issue. The switch (mostly under the gearbox, unfortunately) has too much separation between it's two poles. Do not try to bend the top one. I used several thicknesses of electrical tape (orange)
below the bottom pole, pushing it up a little, so that it makes the
IMG_20200919_125038.jpg
IMG_20200919_125055.jpg
connection (and, if It remember correctly) which causes the door to stay shut and not pop open.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just looked at your video. I could be wrong. It could be a gear issue too, as you said. I fixed four or five of these of a while back. One was the square drive gear, one was a switch that just didn't work, and three had the issue I described above (some had more than one issue). I'll see if I can't find photos of the gear. Now that I remember, it was one tooth off the gear.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here is a picture of a broken gear. Supposed to have seven teeth. The seventh is loose and is stuck between two of the others. You can just barely see where it attaches at the bottom.

I think you are correct and it is exactly like this one. It might also have the other issue as well.

I tried to resin cast a replacement but was unsuccessful. I have not had much success resin casting gears. Other plastic mechanism parts, yes, just not gears.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Restless Acres, Thank you so much for your pictures and time!!!!!

Indeed, it is that square shaft gear. Mine has 6 teeth, and the normal one has 7.

MichaelR, you are also correct, the tooth is missing and preventing the mechanism from being able to close correctly.

I'll have to see if there's a parts unit lying around, or if I can whip up a 3D printed part. I have yet to experiment with resin or other materials.

Thank you guys again for your replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts