Halloween Forum banner

1061 - 1078 of 1078 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’m really glad there is so much awesome debate about Spirit. I’m definitely more of a “I’m putting lots of crap in my yard” kind of haunter and knew nothing of who made what, what really is crap, and why Spirit is and is not favored.

Thanks to all of you who have posted your opinions.
My earliest recollections of Spirit was around 1995....They had a pop up store in the mall...The only theme was a single 4X8 block wall with a castle type window, made of foam with a strobe light in it and a couple tombstones also hand made of foam sitting in front of the window....Not for sale....That was it for themeing....They had mostly costumes and rubber masks with a few props scattered about....That was about it....The earliest props I remember are a rubber latex Book Of The Dead prop I got and still have!...Crypt Keeper sitting in a chair, I couldn't afford that but it was really cool....I bought a couple Don Post masks that has since deteriorated into a melted mess I threw away many many years ago....I also got a Bates Motel sign that I sold long ago....I paid $200 or $300 for a fog machine from a local theatre effects company no longer in business....I still have it too and it also still works!....No timer, you have to hold the button in for it to work....If I needed more fog fluid I had to go to that store to get some, couldn't just order online like now....LOL...Also paid quite a bit for black lights from the same store....I bought 2 strobe lights from Radio Shack and that was it for lighting.....Back then you pretty much built everything from scratch if you wanted to have a spooky yard....I'd take an old shirt and pants and shove a bunch of leaves in it to fill it up and put a mask on it....We've definitely come a long way from that!....But, I know exactly what people are saying about the quality going way down and it has for sure....But....I've been at this long enough now that I've got boxes of controllers from old projects and the know how to make it move again if it breaks...It won't do what it did from the factory but in most cases that's not a big deal to me anyway...I never did enjoy the making a prop from scratch for the most part with a few exceptions....I'm not very artistic and am usually not happy with the end result....That's why most of my home made props are no longer around....My favorite part has always been arranging things, lighting, sound, etc....That's when I'm in my happy zone.....I buy Spirit props now mainly for the detailed sculpted heads and hands, with an already dressed, inner structure I can hack later if I have/want to....ZR

·
Registered
359 Posts
My earliest recollections of Spirit was around 1995....They had a pop up store in the mall...The only theme was a single 4X8 block wall with a castle type window, made of foam with a strobe light in it and a couple tombstones also hand made of foam sitting in front of the window....Not for sale....That was it for themeing....They had mostly costumes and rubber masks with a few props scattered about....That was about it....The earliest props I remember are a rubber latex Book Of The Dead prop I got and still have!...Crypt Keeper sitting in a chair, I couldn't afford that but it was really cool....I bought a couple Don Post masks that has since deteriorated into a melted mess I threw away many many years ago....I also got a Bates Motel sign that I sold long ago....I paid $200 or $300 for a fog machine from a local theatre effects company no longer in business....I still have it too and it also still works!....No timer, you have to hold the button in for it to work....If I needed more fog fluid I had to go to that store to get some, couldn't just order online like now....LOL...Also paid quite a bit for black lights from the same store....I bought 2 strobe lights from Radio Shack and that was it for lighting.....Back then you pretty much built everything from scratch if you wanted to have a spooky yard....I'd take an old shirt and pants and shove a bunch of leaves in it to fill it up and put a mask on it....We've definitely come a long way from that!....But, I know exactly what people are saying about the quality going way down and it has for sure....But....I've been at this long enough now that I've got boxes of controllers from old projects and the know how to make it move again if it breaks...It won't do what it did from the factory but in most cases that's not a big deal to me anyway...I never did enjoy the making a prop from scratch for the most part with a few exceptions....I'm not very artistic and am usually not happy with the end result....That's why most of my home made props are no longer around....My favorite part has always been arranging things, lighting, sound, etc....That's when I'm in my happy zone.....I buy Spirit props now mainly for the detailed sculpted heads and hands, with an already dressed, inner structure I can hack later if I have/want to....ZR
Yes Spirit never had an actual theme until 2007. There are a couple videos on YouTube that show what it was like in the 90’s and early 2000’s:

Btw that Crypt Keeper was a Spencer’s exclusive in 1996 well before they bought Spirit Halloween so that’s probably where you remember it from.
https://gemmy.fandom.com/wiki/Life_Size_Crypt-Keeper

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Instead of a giant reaper, Pennywise and scarecrows greeting you when you walk in the store, wouldn’t it be cool and more appropriate to have more water based characters like Davy Jones, Ursula, Jason, etc.

View attachment 719436
View attachment 719437
View attachment 719438

Having to explain a badly executed theme through lore that the average consumer won’t even know or care about < Creating a good theme with appropriate props that fit
I keep thinking all the pirates I bought at Home Depot makes more sense for the theme than what Spirit came up with for their own theme...LOL...I was eye balling the fish netting and fish, I asked the manager and he said they are coming up with new pricing so I should check back next week and he'll "hook me up" on the display pieces....Pretty sure that means it's getting marked up...Anyway when I got home, I looked it up online and figured out the fish is called crazy bonez you can buy on amazon for about $10 and the fish netting is around the same price....They also have a couple other sea creatures....Target seemed to have a good selection last year so I might check there for after Halloween sales....Other wise I'll just get them on amazon through the year instead of now, since my budget is already blown and then some....ZR

·
Registered
883 Posts
It’s not that the wharf is a bad theme. It’s just weird with the clowns and a scarecrow. I also didn’t get the aquarium thing.

I totally got the dilapidated farm and weird dolls last year. I can see finding a derelict, abandoned farm property and seeing rabid dogs and spiders and creepy dolls.

I think I would have preferred the clowns in outer space and then really playing up a neighborhood theme with ToT’s being terrorized by the Sanderson sisters, Sam, and Pennywise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone had issues with Spirit deliveries? I am waiting on 2 items from 2 orders and the conversations I've had with customer service are not leaving me with much confidence.

I placed the first order in June and received 2 of the items within a couple weeks. The third item, Pumpkin Patch Prowler said "expected August 28" On the 31st they processed the payment on my CC but I didn't receive an email saying the item had been shipped. I spoke to them a week ago and they said I should receive it by the 11th. Last night I received an email saying it was shipped but when I look at my account the shipping number listed isn't recognized in the searches I've done.

In July I placed another order, one items was received right away. The 2nd, Bloodthirsty Betty I am still waiting on. On August 24th I received an email saying it was shipped and also noticed a hold for the amount was placed on my CC. I called them on the 30th because this order does not show on my Spirit account so I can't see the tracking info. The girl told me she cannot see the tracking info because it's an international order (I'm in Canada) she said she'd speak to her supervisor and I should call back tomorrow. I called back and was told it had not been shipped, I also noticed that the hold on my CC was removed and they did not process the payment.
I called again on the 4th and this time they said they would re-send it? I didn't bother pointing out that in my last conversation with them they said it hadn't been shipped. As of now I haven't received any new emails regarding the order. Unfortunately, I checked at my local store and they only have the display model. They took my name for first dibs on it but after reading here that the manufacturers quality isn't the best I don't want the display model.

Is this typical of their delivery practices? These are the only orders I've ever placed with Spirit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Was able to stop at my local Spirit and snag those light up Halloween icon things. I got all three. I also got two...face masks...of all things...like beauty face masks. Weird but neat.

I saw some super cute Funko pens? of The Sanderson sisters as well as Stay Puft and Slimer but I had to pass...$6 each and I'd never use them. Also passed on this cool Hocus Pocus journal...again loved it but didn't need it and wouldn't use it. Not a journal type person. I might go back when they do their clearance sale since I have a coupon...when do they put stuff on sale? Does anyone know?

I'd probably pick up the Sanderson sister pens and the journal...just for shits and giggles.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Was able to stop at my local Spirit and snag those light up Halloween icon things. I got all three. I also got two...face masks...of all things...like beauty face masks. Weird but neat.

I saw some super cute Funko pens? of The Sanderson sisters as well as Stay Puft and Slimer but I had to pass...$6 each and I'd never use them. Also passed on this cool Hocus Pocus journal...again loved it but didn't need it and wouldn't use it. Not a journal type person. I might go back when they do their clearance sale since I have a coupon...when do they put stuff on sale? Does anyone know?

I'd probably pick up the Sanderson sister pens and the journal...just for shits and giggles.
Nov 1 and 2 everything is 50% off. That simple. I do not believe the 20% coupon works in conjunction with that but am not certain.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Surprised to find Sam in store in Brockton Ma, so scooped him up. Disappointed not a Spirit box, but maybe that's normal with licensed character props. View attachment 720012
I have not set him up yet but opened the box. While at a glance the mechanism looks similar in quality to other retail and Spirit animatronics, the pumpkin head on this thing is beautiful and very, very well made. I've gone back several times to admire it. Spirit really missed the boat not having this in their store for people to see. But most people would be more impressed by the crappy giant props anyway.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I do know that the display themes and props are marked down on the 31st. That’s how it was at my store several years ago at least.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,330 Posts
WTAF?!?!

I know it's a free market & all that good stuff, but it still chaps my butt when someone buys stuff solely for resale which keeps the real fans from getting the things they want.

From Spirit to that Rae Dunn stuft at Homegoods, those re-sellers are why we can't have nice things.

I see no way around it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I hope some of those people end up with the Halloween equivalent of Beanie Babies.

1061 - 1078 of 1078 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
98 Participants
RCIAG
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing