Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1077 Posts

·
Spooky Express
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When it comes to Spirit, the manufacturer plays a tremendous role in whether or not a prop is worth the price. Up until 2014 it was easy to determine who the manufacturer of a prop at Spirit was, as the abbreviation for the company was in the link of the prop (For example, Gemmy was abbreviated GM-, Tekky Toys TK-, Seasonal Visions SV-, etc.). This allowed for anyone with past experience with these props to determine if the quality was worth the price.

Now, it is not so easy to determine the manufacturer of props. The manufacturer abbreviations are no longer in the links for the items, and Spirit consistently replies to people asking for manufacturers of props with "All you need to know is that the prop is sold at Spirit" or a similar response. The problem is the price point for each prop is determined by the amount of movement, size, licensing, etc. of a prop, and the company that manufactured the prop has little influence.

This leads to props made by Crazy Create LTD, one of the poorest quality manufacturers Spirit has ever purchased from, to cost the same amount as props made by Seasonal Visions that are relatively equal in size, movement, etc., despite the fact that Seasonal Visions generally produces much higher quality props.

Because of this, I personally never purchase a prop from Spirit without knowing the manufacturer. The variation in quality among manufacturers is so blatant, yet disguised by the similar price points.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts

Spirit does these sneak peaks but they are always shot with quick edits, dim lighting and lots of fog so you really can't get a good look at anything, probably because the quality is usually lacking. This seems to be a Morris Costume's (not the manufacturer I assume), Rotten Ringmaster. I believe you get a better view of it here on Morris Costumes channel:

They should have carried this one instead, but I assume FrightProps, and others will.

·
Registered
328 Posts
$350. Ouch. Looks like I may have been wrong about Spirit prices not leveling up.

I kind of like this one. Would definitely hit home for kids coming up the walkway Halloween night.
I would almost guess this is a reskin of Morris Costume's stew brew witch (https://www.frightprops.com/stew-brew-witch-w-kid-w-fog.html) which is currently $308.00 on FrightProps, but at that price you also get a fog machine for the witches kettle. No fog machine with the Spirit prop it appears.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,329 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about this "children in peril" trend in props. On one hand, they are scary & the clowns look good, especially the mouth movement addition, but on the other hand, it's a kid being put in a cage(oh the political overtones you could get into with that one), potentially torn in two & hung over a cauldron of boiling liquid.

Now granted it's being done by scary unrealistic clowns & witches, but I'm not sure if I approve or not. I honestly don't know.

But then there's much, much gorier things out there & if you don't like it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think, considering this is an online only animatronic, as well as not an exclusive, the pricing and details should be taken with a grain of salt. In terms of "Spirit's" quality, haha that's quite a statement. To be honest, the vast majority of their animatronics have lived up to the hype for most in the past, even in person, so "Spirit's" effects just bring out the best in each one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That was a long wait between previews... Both props look fantastic, but it is too bad that Spirit's prices seem to increase without fail every single year.

I can see where RCIAG is coming from with the use of props involving tortured children; if most of the trick-or-treaters are incredibly young, and often leery of creepier decor to begin with, probably best to skip the caged kiddos and such.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That reminds me of one time when I was in my Spirit store in 2015 and there was a mother carrying her baby around near the front swamp display, then the Flaming Black Widow prop went off and the baby started making noises and the mother looked at me kind of jokingly and said “Oh she no like that one!”

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think, considering this is an online only animatronic, as well as not an exclusive, the pricing and details should be taken with a grain of salt. In terms of "Spirit's" quality, haha that's quite a statement. To be honest, the vast majority of their animatronics have lived up to the hype for most in the past, even in person, so "Spirit's" effects just bring out the best in each one.
Has there ever been any animatronic product that Spirit has dramatically reduced the price of as the Halloween seasons approaches. I am going to guess not. The price when it hits their website is the price you will be stuck paying, as well as the oversized shipping fee. The only price drops I can think of are after Halloween when they desperately try to get rid of the stock they don't want to carry till next year, but that really doesn't count because there's no guarantee that something will be available. I would love to know the wholesale price of some of these props.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Has there ever been any animatronic product that Spirit has dramatically reduced the price of as the Halloween seasons approaches. I am going to guess not. The price when it hits their website is the price you will be stuck paying, as well as the oversized shipping fee. The only price drops I can think of are after Halloween when they desperately try to get rid of the stock they don't want to carry till next year, but that really doesn't count because there's no guarantee that something will be available. I would love to know the wholesale price of some of these props.
I’ve seen several props drop in price over the years but it really depends. I know some Spirit exclusive props make their way to wholesale after several years of being an exclusive. Check out this website: http://www.jmarcus.com/halloween_lifesize_midsize.htm

·
Registered
291 Posts
Obviously, of course lol. To clarify, I was speaking in terms of the other, as yet unrevealed animatronics for the 2019 Halloween season. Considering this animatronic will have no relation to the others, no one should make any calls based on this one's pricing. By the way, I recall several cases each season with 10-20 dollar price drops from sometime in July to October, but overall they stay the same.

·
Registered
604 Posts
In the four+ years I have been closely following Spirit, just about every year there are two or three items that get their prices reduced for the rest of the season. Generally in store, first year props, $20, or $30 reduction. I suspect what happens is that sometime in early to mid-October they look at inventory/sales of their animatronics/large props, and mark down a couple or a few that aren't selling as well as they had hoped. I would guess that it tends to happen to the in-store props (more often than the online only) because they order a greater volume of in-store.

But I certainly wouldn't rely on them doing that for a given prop.

·
Registered
359 Posts
21 - 40 of 1077 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
98 Participants
Screaming Demons
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing