Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1097 Posts

·
Spooky Express
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a thread has not been made for this yet I thought I would make one. Spirit released their first 2019 sneak peek today, and it is the "Terror Dog", also known as Zuul from Ghostbusters. It is a high price point at $499.99, but he is a licensed prop made of foam-filled latex and almost 5 feet long. When you compare him to props like the crouching devil from 2007 or the crouching witch from 2008, which were both 3 feet tall by about 2 feet wide and long for $250, the price seems more reasonable (Assuming he is of similar quality). Not to mention a 20% off coupon knocks $100 off the price.

The dog's dimensions are 30 inches tall by 30 inches wide by 59 inches long, so he's a very large prop. He also has red light up eyes.

Here is the link to the Terror Dog's page on Spirit's website, as well as the official sneak peek video below.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for making this. I checked about a week ago to see if anyone had made one but thank goodness there's one now. And yeah there was a pretty interesting potential blunder from "Spirit" with the listing already up for it when they released the teaser for the sneak peek lol.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Considering how the 20% coupon is pretty much (correct me if I'm wrong) the norm and there 24/7, $400 definitely wouldn't seem too much of a rip off in relation to those older animatronics you've mentioned.

·
Spooky Express
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering how the 20% coupon is pretty much (correct me if I'm wrong) the norm and there 24/7, $400 definitely wouldn't seem too much of a rip off in relation to those older animatronics you've mentioned.
Exactly. It's a high price point regardless compared to other props Spirit has sold, but that's because none of the other props they've sold compare to what this one is. Also you're correct, there's pretty much always a 20% off coupon at Spirit. :rolleyes:

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,507 Posts
Yeah, $500 (really $400) is almost twice what I'd pay for this, regardless of size. And there are too many additional costs that go with it. I mean, you need 2 of these, then $1,200 for a 16' Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Add proton packs, ghost traps, a P.K.E. meter, etc. It's just way too expensive of an endeavor to take on. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
True. Hopefully, that means that it won't sell out and on November 1st I can get 2 for the price of one xD.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
And also I hope that the price tag doesn't foreshadow what's to come with the lineup prices lol.[/QUOTE

Responding to both of your comments here. As there are no stores open at moment, "Online Only" may not refer to its availability in season, but if I had to guess I would say that it most likely will not be in stores, so no 50%. They also aren't gonna order a lot of these.

I suspect that this prop will be a one-off, and that there won't be other props like it. Their bread and butter large props are framed characters that box up small. Helps with both shipping and storage. While those props have gone up over the years, and maybe especially over the last few, I don't think the price of this prop indicates a rise in prices, as this is a latex/foam one-off.

It will be interesting to see if this is an exclusive. Last year Spirit had the Winter Dragon for $499. Other places sold it for cheaper, and if memory serves, one site offered a blink and you miss it sale on the Dragon for $150-ish. I actually could have taken advantage of that price (and maybe I regret not doing so), but I have too many props as it is and didn't really need a dragon. And it should not have been more than $200 anyway.

But I was pretty excited when I got Spirit's email yesterday. This seems a smidge early for them, but I could be mistaken.

Getting excited for the season again. Once the summer heats up it's Halloween buying season!

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree with most of your points. Not sure if I said this anywhere, but I too think that there will not be too many of this particular animatronic produced. Perhaps there will be other Ghostbuster-themed props as well, however. Speaking of Ghostbusters, I believe, like last year with the release of the Michael Myers film and the reveal of the new animatronic corresponding, this is a one-off early animatronic reveal to fit in with the 35th anniversary of Ghostbusters. The rest of the lineup will likely begin revealing around June 28th.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I agree with most of your points. Not sure if I said this anywhere, but I too think that there will not be too many of this particular animatronic produced. Perhaps there will be other Ghostbuster-themed props as well, however. Speaking of Ghostbusters, I believe, like last year with the release of the Michael Myers film and the reveal of the new animatronic corresponding, this is a one-off early animatronic reveal to fit in with the 35th anniversary of Ghostbusters. The rest of the lineup will likely begin revealing around June 28th.
They've been doing Ghostbusters props for at least a year now and maybe longer. I can't recall all of them right now but they had a nice Slimer last year.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
I picked up Winter Dragon from Shindigz last year for a superlow price. Didn’t hesitate when some on HF mentioned they saw it and bought it and glad I didn’t because they pulled it like the next day or so. Most likely a mistake in pricing but they did honor my order and it shipped right away. He’s huge. Super cool and great looking, flaps wings, great blue eyes, breathes fog, honestly he’s worth much more in my opinion although I never would have bought him at full price. Now that my husband and I are finally getting around to watching GOT, I stupidly realized he’s the dragon of the North from the Winter King. Had no idea when I bought him. I just thought he was cool looking and a great deal at the time. Big box too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
They've been doing Ghostbusters props for at least a year now and maybe longer. I can't recall all of them right now but they had a nice Slimer last year.

Sorry, there was a maintenance issue around 9 AM for me so couldn't reply. Anyway, I do know of previous Ghostbuster props, as I run a wiki/archive-type thing on everything "Spirit" sells. However, the Slimer was only a tabletop, not a life-size or what one would think of when the word "animatronic" is thrown around.

Also, the quote wasn't copied: as for the Winter Dragon, sounds like a great deal! I literally had no idea it was licensed, anyway. Lol thanks for that.

BTW is this article accurate? https://spirit-halloween-store.fandom.com/wiki/Spirit_Halloween_2019:_Latest_News

·
Registered
291 Posts
At 30" tall I don't think it will be that impressive in person. I think the $500.00 price tag might be more terrifying.
Lol, but $400 dollars with that coupon that's always around is a better price regardless. If it's in stores, $400 dollars is not a bad deal for your average hardcore Ghostbuster fan. As well as this, licensed animatronics usually get more recognition and promotion from their respective communities and articles, so more people will hear about this animatronic rather than a cheaper, original one.

Also, for the second response, I do wish it had movement, but all things considered that would have made it much more complicated and expensive. Overall, if it does have audio, that may buy over more people.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I meant they would not have other large foam and latex props, not Ghostbusters. Slimer has been around for 2 Halloweens at least (I remember him from fall 2017). Proton pack last year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Spirit is somewhat of a coin flip. Some props they put out are great, while others are crappy quality. Its a huge leap of faith with their current track record to buy something unseen/touched for $500 (400 with coupon...but 40$ back on for shipping of oversize item). But you also run the risk that they are trying to use pre-sales as a gague as how many to produce, ship out to stores (IF they ship to stores), etc. So if they dont sell well you run the risk of NEVER getting one.
I have the slimer and its great quality...if they are using same manfu. Their other static props were shitty and falling apart this last year. I just dont know if I can justify 1 prop for $400...or get 5 middle range quality items for the same

1 - 20 of 1097 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
98 Participants
slash
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing