Halloween Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an earlier thread I asked if anyone knew how to make the sound activated Spirt Halloween Graveyard Lanterns stay constantly lit instead of the momenary light after being activated by sound. A few replies, but nothing concrete on how to do it, so I decided to take it apart myself and see what I could do. I have no clue what ohms mean or what resistors are or how they even get those circuit boards to function, so I have no clue why this worked. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in and advised. Also, after hacking the circuit board, I let the lantern run all night long. 10+ hours and the circuit board did not fry, overheat or stop lighting. Be advised that this will also stop the sound from working.
I hate the sounds that come with these props anyways so that was no problem for me. The only tools you will need to complete this hack is a small phillips head screwdriver, a soldering iron, a pair of scissors and a hot glue gun.

The first step is to unscrew the 10 small screws holding the two halves of the lantern together. There are 4 in the bottom section, 2 in the handle and 4 more in the top section. Once they are all unscrewed, separate the halves and remove the globe and bottom piece that contains the circuit board. Room Tripod Floor Camera accessory Hardwood

Here is the circuit board panel after being removed from the two halves. Electronics Technology Circuit component Auto part Electronic device

The next step is to locate the two yellow wires that are soldered to the sound activation disc. Pry these wires off of the disc. Try to pry them off without removing the solder. This will enable you to use the existing solder to connect the wire to its new home. These two pictures are of the circuit board with the yellow wires removed from the disc and the yellow wire with solder still attached. Electronics Technology Electrical wiring Circuit component Clock Cable

Now locate the two wires attached to the bulb. One is white and the other is striped yellow/white. Take one of the wires you removed from the sound disc that still has the solder on it and solder it to the circuit board where the white wire is connected. To make sure you have the connection right, leave the batteries in so that you can play around with the connection until you find the sweet spot where the bulb stays lit. Once you have found this spot, solder it in place using the existing solder left on the wire. Make sure you do this with the white wire. It will not work with the striped wire. After the soldering, take your hot glue gun and put glue on the connection, so that you know it will stay in place. Now take your scissors and cut the other yellow wire to shorten it up. Electronics Wire Electronic component Electrical network Technology

After the hot glue has solidified, put the lantern back together and you now have a constant running and flickering graveyard lantern. No momentary on, no sound triggering and no stupid sounds. The first video shows the light remaining constantly on. The second video shows the comparison between the hacked lantern and the normal lantern.

Hope this helps out some of you!

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Congrats! Just an FYI though, you basically just routed power directly to the LED which is what I had suggested. You actually got lucky that the LED didn't burn out because typically more than 2V without the proper current limiting resistor will fry an LED. The power connection you made to the board obviously has a resistor inline. A circuit board isn't needed to light an LED, only the proper resistor. There's lots of LED resistor calculators online. Anyway, congrats again!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts