Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide to pull the trigger this year and buy the Spirit 400W Low Lying Fog Machine. Its currently priced at $64.99. A bit pricey for me but I really want the low lying/rolling fog effect. So, I was curious if anyone here has one and if they would give me an idea if you like it and would recommend one. Or if you have other recommendations. I know I could always try to make a fog chiller, but I'm just not really excited about the look of those designs. A bit bulky I think. I want to try and keep things a bit more low profile.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/low-lying-fog-machine/

So let me know what you guys think. Good deal or not?

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
I went into Halloween City and they a lot of 1000w low lying fog machines for $69.99

I really want to upgrade my 400w to 1000w for the graveyard

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have two fog machines, both are over 400w (only slightly) one is American DJ brand, sale at Guitar Center and the other is a low lying fog machine. Even with the fog chiller I made, I feel the fog doesn't lay low enough for long. It could be the way I made my fog chiller but in my opinion, even if you buy a low laying fog machine (with small ice comportment), you likely will need a chiller to get the effects. I just cover it with a black drape so its not so bad.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing other posts from the pros that can help. ;-)

·
Registered
429 Posts
You're better off buying a standard fog machine and then running the fog through a chiller. The ice compartment in the one Spirit has is small and the ice gets used up pretty fast (hot fog flows over it and melts it).

Look up the plans on this forum for fog chillers, they're pretty cheap and easy. You just need a styrofoam or plastic container with some chicken wire and a couple of plastic tubes from Home Depot. One of the easiest things you can make and then you have a much bigger chamber for the fog to flow over the ice.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You're better off buying a standard fog machine and then running the fog through a chiller. The ice compartment in the one Spirit has is small and the ice gets used up pretty fast (hot fog flows over it and melts it).

Look up the plans on this forum for fog chillers, they're pretty cheap and easy. You just need a styrofoam or plastic container with some chicken wire and a couple of plastic tubes from Home Depot. One of the easiest things you can make and then you have a much bigger chamber for the fog to flow over the ice.
This man speaks the truth! I have one of these low lying foggers from spirit, but the ice box is so small that you'll be changing out the ice in it every few hours throughout the night if you're using the fog machine continuously. I got so fed up with it that I just use the low lying fogger as a regular fogger now :) Definitely try to make your own cheap fog chiller that will require only one trip for the whole night to refill with ice.

·
The Great Crazy
42,937 Posts

I agree as well I get tiered of going out every night adding ice build a chiller.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Same, I own one of those spirit and it is a total waste, save your money to buy a better fogger and build a chiller. I use chauvet hurricane 1300 and 55 gallon drum fog chiller, it can hold a ton of ice and seals shut to force the hot fog through the cold Ice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Build your own... Don't worry about the size of the chiller, most of us hide our chillers using props or netting to make it camouflaged. I have actually played with the idea of spay gluing Staw to mine to make it look like a bail of hay and then spraying a good thick coat of Poly on it to make it indestructible. I might do it yet.

Definitely want to build your own chiller though. No question. I saw on here a year or so ago one of the members made a coffin chiller.

The other nice thing about building your own chiller is that you have a place you can put your fogger after the season is over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts