Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I plan on buying a styrofoam head, decorating it and putting it on a fan motor, in which it would spin around and around.

but I have one problem. I think if i just shove the head onto the motor it will just keep spinning in the head and cut a hole and not spin. I need some ideas on how to make the head spin on the motor without it just making a hole. If ya understand what im trying to do :p.

Heres a pic of the motor (not a good one) I guess it will do.

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
My thoughts would lean towards gluing a wooden dowel rod into the wig head. Then if the rod was large enough, drilling out the center of it and using a good epoxy to glue it to the rod on the fan motor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It looks like a black plastic hub is left on the shaft from the old fan blades, correct?

You could try some liquid nails/foam/etc to adhere the plastic hub to a void in the styrofoam head. But it may be best to try and pull that off, or somehow adapt it, so there is something more 'L' shaped to the shaft. One common item found in most hardware stores is a "U-bolt". Get a small one where the curve of the U will fit your shaft. Tighten that down and you will have this big hund of metal to again better glue into the foam.

harder to find for smaller diamter shafts, but a pulley would be good. now you get a large circular area to screw or glue onto the base of the wighead.

Glue the wighead to a round board first, that may be easier to secure to your mechanism without it drilling a larger hole in the soft foam.

Now question - is this a true fan motor? Meaning something high RPMs? If so, then nothing homemade is really going to last. That wighead will eventuall wiggle/fly loose. You need the shaft to be turning quite slowing for this to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crap. yea i just tore down an old fan that was just sitting in my room. you think its going to be to fast? got any ideas to maybe reinforce it?

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I think if you attach the head directly to the fan motor it will spin way too fast, a lot of people use fans to animate props, they use the oscillating type and attach the prop directly to the fan housing and then is moves side to side but does not spin around.

You may be able to slow the motor by using a dimmer switch.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
If you notice on the fan housing there is a knob you can pull up or push down that starts or stops the oscillation. Look closly at it, you can see that it turns at a nce reasonable rate at a constant speed. Remove the housing and the plasic part of the knob. Disconnect the armature that oscillates the fan and you got a nice slow moving shaft to attch the wighead to. If you use the motor itself and attach the wighead to it, nothing on earth will prevent the styrofoam from breaking apart at such high speeds. It would look ridiculous anyways .. all you would see is a white blur before a snowfall happens. It would be fun for about 3 seconds to see it though, so if you do this, please take video! Demolishing a wighead on a fanmotor would be so entertaining!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know this has nothing to do with the materials you already have but I did a spinning head once using the base of a spinning Christmas tree. They spin nice and slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts