Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!

I'm hoping to finish a giant spider this year, to sit on the roof of my covered porch. I'd like to give her a web, but I think given the size and shape of the space, I'd prefer a triangle to a full circle.
spiders_webs.gif t_triangle_spider_web.jpg

The idea would be to anchor it at the roof by the spider, and stretch it out to be either staked in the ground or attached to a tree.

I've seen some round web tutorials. Any thoughts on how to go about this one? I like the thin webby-ness of the fishing line ones, but I'm wondering if it'll make me go insane at this size. I don't mind the rope ones, just think thinner line looks a little more real.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I made an orb web out of rope that is probably 1/4" diameter. I tied little notes at each 'intersection' and then a dab of hotglue to make sure it wouldn't slide. It turned out just okay.. I think for this year I will still use the rope web but fill in the cavity with some webbing shot from a web shooter to make it more realistic. I guess whatever material you use might be dependent if you plan to hang anything or rest anything on it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No plans to rest anything on it, I don't think. Kite string is a good suggestion! A little thinner, but not miserable to work with. Thanks!

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
I've done two versions of giant spiders. We have done different types of yarn webs, but weather always ruins them. We have found the best option to be just bagged spider webs. I usually buy the big bag available at Walgreens. Sometimes Spirit carries it as well. The web is more like a roll rather than individual stuffing that breaks apart easily. If we have a heavy rain or wind we can easily reshape or just add to it.

Here are some photos...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I was thinking the bagged stuff would be *less* weather resistant, not more. Interesting that you've found the opposite to be true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts