Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides their great pipe "joints" for prop builders, they are now offering 2 animated swaying body kits.
You get all the components including the wiper motor to move it. The less expensive kit does not include the pvc straight pipe (you buy your own and cut it) The slightly more expensive kit includes the pipe and I believe it's cut to size already. A great option for those without easy access to the parts as well as those a bit nervous about undertaking an animated build on their own.

http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/Animated-Prop-Kits_c_12.html

spiderworks kits.jpg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It's funny, when you look at the parts and motor to something like this, it looks easy to build. Then if you think you want to try and build one, and you get all the pieces and start to put one together, it just doesn't quite work out the way you want it. To be blunt, NOTHING WORKS RIGHT, then you buy one from the maker which assembles in no time flat. I hate that. :p

·
Registered
265 Posts
Aint that the truth Deadview? Couple of PVC joints, a motor, cut a piece of plywood to shape, BAMN!, got it. Dag nabbit, what did I miss?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not sure if it's okay to tag onto this, but I like the look of the "child" size frame. Plus, the price isn't bad at all. Where I can't seem to get started and need a push is how to then fill out the body. Could someone direct me to maybe a tutorial or webpage that would give me some direction on that? I'd surely appreciate it soooooo much :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,519 Posts
I'm not sure if it's okay to tag onto this, but I like the look of the "child" size frame. Plus, the price isn't bad at all. Where I can't seem to get started and need a push is how to then fill out the body. Could someone direct me to maybe a tutorial or webpage that would give me some direction on that? I'd surely appreciate it soooooo much :)
I have two of these child frames. A simple way to flesh them out is to use pool noodles over the arms/legs. Chicken wire can be used to form an fuller chest area, or if you want to keep it simple, just a plastic grocery bag stuffed with papers and hung around the neck stem. Once you dress the figure, you can also stuff papers/plastic bags or fiber-fill in the clothing to fill it out a bit. Here's the goblin I made last year using the 4 foot kit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sweet! Thank you jdubbya! Exactly the info I needed. Love the goblin!! I think I'm going to have to get two of the child frames.

I have two of these child frames. A simple way to flesh them out is to use pool noodles over the arms/legs. Chicken wire can be used to form an fuller chest area, or if you want to keep it simple, just a plastic grocery bag stuffed with papers and hung around the neck stem. Once you dress the figure, you can also stuff papers/plastic bags or fiber-fill in the clothing to fill it out a bit. Here's the goblin I made last year using the 4 foot kit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay...so, I thought I'd try and save myself 60-70 bucks and make my own frame for a static prop. I HATE how it looks. I'm not even done with it and just think it looks blugh. For one, I need to fill out the bottom section and second, the long braces for feet just won't work because they show up from under the cowl. Still need to make some hands and die the cloth a weathered grey too.

That being said, I am seriously considering getting two of the child frames from spiderhill - I may just purchase them a month apart to spread the expenses out; so the wife doesn't get a little frustrated with me.

I have a question though - is there a way for the spiderhill frame to be positioned so it looks like the prop is squatting on it's haunches?? I've attached a couple of pics of my prop just roughed out to get an idea of how it would look on a frame and then a picture of the position I'd like the prop to end up in (no ladies, that isn't me in the squatting picture ;) )

20140810_193037.jpg 20140810_193049.jpg 48517853.jpg

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,747 Posts
Hi,

You can add 2 extra joints to any of our kits to create "ankles" and the figure will be able to squat all the way down to a kneel if needed.

Totally understand the budget battle. If you place an order before 8/31, use checkout code get10 and that will take an additional 10% off your order.;)

If you have any questions about our kits, feel free to drop us a line or give me a call and I'll be glad to help you out any way I can with your project.

Ryan

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the response Diabolik (Ryan)! I knew you lurked around on this thread and was hoping you'd see my question. I'm going to go order one now. I just think it'll give me more of the results I'm looking for. Thanks again!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,747 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts