Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may or may not happen for Halloween 2020, but I figure I should start doing the research anyway. I have zero experience in animating props, but I know given some plan, I could probably do it. Anyway, I had this idea of doing a huge spider on my roof and then have a man hanging from the front of the roof/house all wrapped up in some kind of spider webbing and the man wiggling around as though he were trying to escape. What would be extra cool would be to time it so that the wiggling would maybe happen for a couple minutes but then be still for 5-10 minutes. With all of that said, I don't see me putting a body together as being to much of an issue, but I am not sure where to begin as far as how to achieve this effect, any linkage, what would be required, etc. Any help, would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing a lot of looking on here, but I am not finding anything yet. Thank you.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
I am just useless if I tried to build things from scratch that require movement, so I cheat. I get things from other people, or I repurpose already "plug and play" type of props.

For what you're describing on movement, I'd suggest looking for the Haunted Shrub type of prop.

^I've found these for $5 or less at thrift stores, but likely could order them and see how well they work. If you do a super lightweight (cheesecloth wrapped around batting with some cheap bagged spider web) and then suspended the contraption inside it, that might do what you'd like. My shakers all make growling sounds but I think that might be nifty. I think they are sound activated, so they'd need to be nearby activity (people walking by/talking/other noise) to go off.

The do make an actual victim/body that does exactly what you're describing as well (at least, it sounds like it's supposed to do what you want it to do):

From the descriptions, it's smaller than a person, but you likely could make it look larger if necessary by using some cheap web in a bag stuff from the dollar store and lightly padding it out/extending the form (that stuff is super lightweight and several bags of it stretched out and then lightly taped/secured to lengthen the body would likely look nice).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lots of people have made a prop similar to what you are thinking but instead of wrapped in web they have a rope around his neck as if "hanged". Search Hang man prop. Most use a wiper motor for movement. You can use any old clothes and then wrap webbing around him to suspend him. The hang man is a bit controversial for some. I personally think it is a bit much for the small kids we get here... But. ok for a full "Haunt"

·
Registered
508 Posts
hmmm someone here had something exactly like that this year I remember seeing it in one of the videos I watched. Hopefully they will see this

·
Registered
398 Posts
I built a Hang Man last year. I pretty much used the instructables "Animated Hangman Prop" instructions (link is on my page below.). I assume you would substitute a web wrapping for the coveralls I used.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,925 Posts
I converted my body bag man into a spider victim this past Halloween. The original was the milk jug and 2 liter bottle covered in trash bag design, but I upgraded it a couple of years ago to have a foam mannequin head and some crossed pool noodle arms with skelly hands, which gave it a much better overall shape, then I wrapped it with black plastic table cloths and used a heat gun to shrink them over the form. Came out awesome and was MUCH sturdier and better looking than the basic jug body. To convery it to a spider victim I just dry brushed white over the entire thing, then hung it up by the feet and covered it in thick coat of webbing from my web gun. It doesn't move, but it doesn't have to as creepy as it looks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The stretchy type spider webbing like I see you already are using. Might make a better covering if you're starting from scratch. I have a smaller one, about child (small) size. It's covered first in cheese cloth then that spider web that you use in the trees & fence etc. You can give it a little "aging" by spraying paint at a distance so it just "dusts" it. With grey & brown spray can paint. One detail I'd say though. Is not to put the arms in the usual "coffin" position. if a spider got him. The arms more likely would be down at the sides or even out a bit. As if he were trying to fight off the spider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts