Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember where I read this idea but it's something I'm excited about trying. On those days when you are fortunate to find a beautiful spider web spray it with a coat of white paint from a distance that will not destroy the web. JUST BE SURE NOT TO HARM THE SPIDER! Immediately place a piece of black paper behind the web and gently pull forward to attach the web while the paint is still wet. When the web is dry your natural art piece spray it with a few coats of varnish to seal it. Then you can frame it. I think there are many ways these webs could be used in Halloween displays so I'm going to give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Also works with hairspray. You don't get as much of a contrast, but you also don't get any smears if the wind kicks up or your hand isn't quite so steady.

Favorite childhood activity of mine.

Went well with the 500 species bug collection. Had samples of each spider's web next to it.

My wife made me get rid of the collection when we got married. :(

But, it's at the local University still, teaching kids, so can't complain too much.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
madame, that is a beautiful work of art. i am going to have to try that. i do hate real spiders though. i think you make spiders mad when you tear down their webs. one needs to be careful.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
yeah, make sure it's not poisones. lol They will be a little ticked off but, will create another one that is just as unique. Great ideas.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
That is a really cool idea. I just don't think I have the heart to destroy a spider's web for my own personal benefit. :( If I can find a nice orb-weaver this summer, I'll catch her (to protect her from the paint spray) and feed her a couple crickets in exchange for the web. At least then I'd have a clearer conscious. :)

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a really cool idea. I just don't think I have the heart to destroy a spider's web for my own personal benefit. :( If I can find a nice orb-weaver this summer, I'll catch her (to protect her from the paint spray) and feed her a couple crickets in exchange for the web. At least then I'd have a clearer conscious. :)

I have a big friendly spider that lives by my back door. He or she makes a huge web everyday because we have to knock it down to get out the door every morning. When we chase him or her off they just run for cover inside the light fixture. It's like a daily game. Beautiful web though. At least preserving it means all that hard work doesn't go to waste.

·
Queen of the Night
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also works with hairspray. You don't get as much of a contrast, but you also don't get any smears if the wind kicks up or your hand isn't quite so steady.

Favorite childhood activity of mine.

Went well with the 500 species bug collection. Had samples of each spider's web next to it.

My wife made me get rid of the collection when we got married. :(

But, it's at the local University still, teaching kids, so can't complain too much.
You are certainly a man of many talents UnOrthodOx. I'm very impressed. I remember when I had to do a bug collecting project for school. Broke my heart to put the poor little buggers in the killing jar and then have to stick pin a through them. But even worse was the frog dissection project. I had to refuse. It was either that our lose my breakfast in a an unpleasant way. I think Hooch would understand why I didn't pursue a career as a nurse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts