Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if there is already another thread for this...I am new to this website. Heard it's one of the best places to get help.

Anyways, I am looking for something to make waterproof spider webs. I know you can go to the store and buy the bags of the cotton stuff, but the problem is, I need this to last all season, and if it decides to rain (which it often does) that cotton webbing ends up being ruined and my scare loses its feel. If anyone has any ideas on how to make (or something someone has purchased) waterproof spider webbing (specifically to be strung between sticks, trees, etc..) then please let me know.

Thank you all, and good luck this upcoming season!

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
How about this?

This is one of those jumbo webs you can buy that is supported with fishing wire all over the place. Then stretch webbing on top of that. Should last a long time. You'd probably only have to replace or restretch the stretch webbing every once and a while.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Hello & welcome ! As for waterproofing that cotton type store webbing,.....the only thing I can think of would be to use a clear ( gloss or semi gloss ) Krylon spray can ( art supply stores ) & spray a few coats on it. Not sure how that would end up working out to completely water proof it,.......you would have to test it. Can't think of anyone waterproofing that type of webbing or anything out there specifically for doing that.
Other than a glue stick web gun for waterproof webbing, just not sure if there is a bullet proof waterproofing for what you are using........

Maybe another member here might have a thought on this.

·
The Haunting Girl
882 Posts
I've never waterproofed my webs and they've always made it to Halloween. Sure they're not the same as when they went up, but it goes along with my neglected look. I usually 'lay it on' thick to account for any rain or wind.
I've been looking into other 'webbing' options for this year too. I'm going with a spider theme and I'm trying use different webs to simulate what different spiders would do. I look forward to what others have to add.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are great! Thanks for all the information. I will play around with the gloss-type covering. The only issue I have with letting it get all soggy and droopy (for lack of a better word) from rain is the fact that I have TONS of people walking through it every night. I don't want many "loose ends" that people can tug on or get snagged on, risking damage to the entire structure.

I will try to post pictures and updates on my findings! Again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I use one of Minion's Web web guns and I can say that the webs created by the web gun will withstand most nasty weather.

Last October we had a lot of damp mornings and a few days of rain just after Halloween and the webbing withstood all of it.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
I use one of Minion's Web web guns and I can say that the webs created by the web gun will withstand most nasty weather.

Last October we had a lot of damp mornings and a few days of rain just after Halloween and the webbing withstood all of it.
I agree - I have an older Minion gun as well as the Webcaster (which takes glue sticks which are much cheaper than the brand ones), and they do really well in the rain. I usually web twice in the month (we're up all month) and it works out fine. Wind is alot harder on the web, so if we have nasty Santa Anas - then I re-web. I highly recommend the guns....My Minion gun is probably almost 10 years old and works great still. I've also heard of people putting baby powder on the webs to make them more aged and visible....

·
Registered
460 Posts
+1 for the web caster gun. I have one that I made and it does great. Nothing more waterproff than thin stringy hot glue blown everywhere...:D

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Here's a picture of a typewriter that we had inside our living room for Halloween that was webbed with a Minion's Web gun and then "baby powdered"

The baby powder part really makes a huge difference as far as visibility goes. I was even thinking of possibly using fullers earth and see what that did.

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
Here's a picture of a typewriter that we had inside our living room for Halloween that was webbed with a Minion's Web gun and then "baby powdered"

The baby powder part really makes a huge difference as far as visibility goes. I was even thinking of possibly using fullers earth and see what that did.
Beautiful pic Dminor!! Would diatomaceous earth (sp? the pool filter stuff) work as well, do you think? I love your typewriter!

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
That's a really cool picture and great webbing, Dminor!! Never having used a gun, I may just have to get one after looking at that shot. Do you brush the baby powder on with a paintbrush? How do you stop the powder from getting everywhere?

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Anyways, I am looking for something to make waterproof spider webs. I know you can go to the store and buy the bags of the cotton stuff, but the problem is, I need this to last all season, and if it decides to rain (which it often does) that cotton webbing ends up being ruined and my scare loses its feel.
I think that the bagged spiderwebs are actually made of a synthetic material, not cotton. They stretch out a looooong way, whereas cotton would stretch very little. They're water repellant, so they should last a long time outside, even if it rains on them. You may need to spruce them up a little every week or so, but they should last the season.

I remember someone here on the forum saying the webbing will catch falling leaves, and that adds some realism to the overall effect.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,084 Posts
I think that the bagged spiderwebs are actually made of a synthetic material, not cotton. They stretch out a looooong way, whereas cotton would stretch very little. They're water repellant, so they should last a long time outside, even if it rains on them. You may need to spruce them up a little every week or so, but they should last the season.

I remember someone here on the forum saying the webbing will catch falling leaves, and that adds some realism to the overall effect.
That was probably me. :D I am the queen of cheap and easy... when it comes to Halloween props anyway!

I adore the bag-o-webbing, and I put it up early just so the wind, rain and leaves and other elements turn it into a more realistic looking display. We get some HEAVY rain during October, and yes, the webbing will stretch out and droop due to that, but all it takes is a few minutes of pulling the really low hanging parts up to the anchor points, and it looks sooooo creepy.

It isn't cotton. It is polyester/acrylic. If you get the stuff that feels sort of scratchy, it's the right kind. PUT IT BACK if it feels slick/silky - that's the stuff that just pulls apart and will fail with any weather.

This is right before we re-anchored one year. It's a little low, but we just pulled up from the middle I think maybe two points and that got it up high enough to walk under, but still droopy to look nice and neglected. You can see the stray seed pods and leaves entangled with the web, and it looks so old and spooky when it gets lit up...

Another year, Halloween night. It was up probably a minimum of 3 weeks, and we just pulled up a few points and it was ready to go!

·
The Haunting Girl
882 Posts
Ooo Frankie's Girl I love you webs! I do the same thing too. I love putting mine up early just so it can 'age'. I'm actually so cheap that I save the webs and reuse them next year. I do stock up on bags when I can get them on sale though. You can never have enough. Especially this year for me since I'm doing a spider theme.

·
Super Moderator
5,742 Posts
That was probably me. :D I am the queen of cheap and easy... when it comes to Halloween props anyway!

I adore the bag-o-webbing, and I put it up early just so the wind, rain and leaves and other elements turn it into a more realistic looking display. We get some HEAVY rain during October, and yes, the webbing will stretch out and droop due to that, but all it takes is a few minutes of pulling the really low hanging parts up to the anchor points, and it looks sooooo creepy.

It isn't cotton. It is polyester/acrylic. If you get the stuff that feels sort of scratchy, it's the right kind. PUT IT BACK if it feels slick/silky - that's the stuff that just pulls apart and will fail with any weather.

This is right before we re-anchored one year. It's a little low, but we just pulled up from the middle I think maybe two points and that got it up high enough to walk under, but still droopy to look nice and neglected. You can see the stray seed pods and leaves entangled with the web, and it looks so old and spooky when it gets lit up...

Another year, Halloween night. It was up probably a minimum of 3 weeks, and we just pulled up a few points and it was ready to go!
I've always said there's artists with the stretchy web stuff, and here is a prime example....

I'm not going to embarrass myself by showing what looks like a pillow factory exploded that my attempts at it look like.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts