Halloween Forum banner

Spider web from walmart

Static: 
2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Yubney 
#1 ·
Does the spider web stuff you buy in a bag from Walmart for $2 last in the rain? I'm trying to figure out how early I can put it out without having to keep redoing it.

#2 ·
Absolutely, but there are two types of the bag webbing. Sad thing is you can't tell till you feel it. If it's super-silky then it isn't the good stuff. You want the kind that feels a bit scratchy like polyester threading so it stretches and doesn't pull apart. (I think most places carry the good stuff, but the silky crap pops up occasionally)

I make it a point to put out our webbing by the end of September so it gets rained on, twigs and trash blown into it and it gets yucky and MORE realistic by the time Halloween rolls around.

At the most, you might have it stretch out a little from the weight of rainwater, and have to pull it tight and re-anchor some of it. I put it up HIGH so as to accommodate this stretching, so we have minimal damage control to do.

#4 ·
Thanks y'all and oh oh...may have to return. Walmart has the white green and purple. Maybe it's not the good kind. Will check tonight. I saw some at Party City also. Hopefully one will be not silky. I didn't think about the junk that might blow in from the yard that will look cool! Maybe I should put it up tonight!~!!! HA!!

#5 ·
The trick with webbing is to get it stretched out in all different directions (up and down as well as across) and as thinned out as you can get so the individual strands are visible instead of it being all clumped.

It looks soooooo cool once the debris gets caught in it and starts drooping ever so slightly from weather. I even had several bugs take up residence in our webbing - talk about realism!

:D

#6 ·
I found it also helps that after stringing spraying it with 3M adhesive. But remember to place a cardboard backing for overspray. This helps it stick together if you have bad "pulls" if your criss-crossing them, and pinch the intersections. After about a couple of hours of drying time dust with talcum powerder to help keep blowing leaves and the like from sticking to it as much if your leaving it up so long. I left mine un-dusted and after a few days had a wonderful effect with the bugs and other debris stuck to it, but I was also going for a spider feeding death scene along with a 5 foot spider on it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.