Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Cyclone Jack and Doc Grim's awesome swaying zombies I decided to build one for myself. He is almost entirely built from PVC except for the waist platform which is half inch plywood. Hard to see in these pics, but the legs were heated and bent to give him a little more of a realistic pose. He is running on a 5 volt Monster Guts wiper motor mounted to one of Haunted Parts awesome wiper motor brackets. The power pack is hidden in his shoe. The swivel is designed around a set of slip-T fittings that we sell on the site. I've been determined to find a use for them in a prop. I tried 3 different designs before I settled on the slip T's. Still have to build a mesh upper body shell for him to bulk him up a little and do a bit more tweaking. The head and hands came from one of our customers http://art2zombies.com/ I've decided to call him "Smiley".

I am hoping to get him wrapped up over the weekend. I am also hoping to put together some basic plans. :)

D.

swaying zombie 032.jpg
swaying zombie 029.jpg
swaying zombie 027.jpg
swaying zombie 028.jpg

Here's a quick video of the mechanism running. the clicking sound you hear is the neck moving around. You won't hear that when he is assembled. :)

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have also made one think I might consider the slip joint as an alternative.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the Slip T's work really well for this application. I just had to make a set of keepers to keep the pipe from sliding out. Those rings are actually a couple of pipe sockets cut off of a 4 way cross fitting. ;)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Really nice job! The movement is spot on. I'd be very interested in seeing the plans for this once you put them together. Agree that the head/hands are perfect!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where to get the slip T fittings plz.
You can get those fittings at a couple of different sites. We sell them at our site in my signature. that is also where the mounting bases for the PVC pipe came from. ;)

Really nice job! The movement is spot on. I'd be very interested in seeing the plans for this once you put them together. Agree that the head/hands are perfect!
Yep, I will make sure I get this one all on paper. Going to try to make a PDF I can upload to Spider Hill so anyone can access. This is a pretty easy prop to build and with the right PVC parts and a wiper motor bracket, you can build something really solid and still not break the bank. Not a lot to go wrong with this guy. :)

Thinking he should last a while.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is a pretty easy prop to build and with the right PVC parts and a wiper motor bracket, you can build something really solid and still not break the bank. Not a lot to go wrong with this guy. :)

Thinking he should last a while.
ding, ding, ding...this is what's key in that our homemade jobs will likely be much better than most store bought products.

I started getting stuff out yesterday, and I played around with one of two ground breaking zombies I picked up on the cheap after Halloween last year.

I powered one up to test and in watching him I remembered how sick I felt last year when my insane killer stopped triggering from a remote on the day of Halloween. At the time, he was a central part of one scene.

Watching the ground breaker do his thing I wondered if the same fate awaited me this year.

Seeing this build makes me want to toss the few animatronics I have and go with something more solid just for peace of mind.

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
this is awesome,, love the movement!!!!

I happen to be one who agree's with evil eye,, I think most things home made are better quality, and will last longer than anything you could buy. from anywhere!!!! And when you do campgrounds like I have in previous years,, other people can have the same exact prop. while I had one of a kind items!!!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks Diabolik! you solved a couple of issues i was having in my design. i am currently working on 2 of them crawling out of the ditch, and the slip "T" solves the issue. i am using a 2" cross reduced down on the sides as my "rattle point" for the swivel stick. i just need to figure a way to attach the stem of the motor to it.
sweet job! HM

1 - 20 of 39 Posts