Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have a DIY on making a spider out of aluminum foil? Looking for something that would be pretty sturdy and would hold up over movement (it will be part of a costume). Looking to recreate this (image attached)

Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would make the legs from straight floral wire (20 ga) bend the joints as needed, thicken the sections with paper coverings or string wrappings, the body could be ready purchased or made from paper mache.. I coat things with epoxy resin to toughen them up,, if its inside only just spray paint me be fine..

·
Registered
14 Posts
this will be almost like tying a large trout fishing fly,, needs to be light but strong.. important that the leg wires do not turn once all mounted.. the long straight wires to start with are 18" floral stem wires,, the quick drawing would be my method of doing this.. a couple of small pliers will help alot.. the creatures I made for this year use this same method (plus some flattened aluminum wire and epoxy coating) they are very light yet strong and can be adjusted to the required positions.. best of luck- hope this is helpful..

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Current status. Any suggestions on how to attach the spider to the hat? I have some ideas but entertaining other options before I commit. Thanks!!! Spider Hat 2.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts