Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our 7' spider which is made from 4 layers of pink foam insulation. I made it 4 years ago and is holding up fine in storage and handling.... The legs are made from 1/2",3/4",and 1" PVC so they appear to get thicker towards the body. they are positionable at the joints. This was done with 2 12 gauge steel wires and spray foam to hold them inside each leg.

The web is made from nylon mason's twine. I used 900' for this 28' diameter web. I ran my main rund then started in the center and tied and super glued each connection point.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I love that it's coming off of the roof onto the web!! Awesome. Reminds me of the movie "Eight Legged Freaks"

oh and nice touch with the boarded up windows!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I plan to do something similar only above my front walkway. The keep out sign and boards look awesome as well!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Love the spider and web. I made a couple huge ones last year. How did you keep the legs standing str8 up with the pvc? Mine always wanted to lay over. I'm also surprised it wasn't too heavy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The legs are sections of 1/2,then 3/4 then 1" PVC. I took a piece of drop ceiling hanger wire, from Home Depot, and bent it in half. I stacked the pieces together then slid the wire down inside all three pieces. At the "knees" I spaced them apart a little. I used spray foam insulation to hold everything together. I trimmed the foam after it spewed out of the ends and the knees. I covered it with electrical tape. The leg sockets are 1"PVC 45 elbows and are glued into the insulation foam body with epoxy. After everything was dry I was able to install the legs and bend them into the correct positions. I built in for Halloween 2006 and is holding up well.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
Wow, I had thought I appreciated the look of the spider from your first two pictures, but after seeing your lastest one, I have a whole new appreciation for the detailing you did. Just love the body. Is the body solid carved insulation foam (like the pink or blue foam with layers glued together) or is it hollow?

I see that you mentioned that the eyes are lit also. Any pics at night with them on?

Just love him. Thanks for posting about him.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i couldn't find any good night pics with the eyes lit up. Each of the 8 eyes have a red LED in it. The Eyes themselves are the grocery store vending machine cheap toy containers. Because they are semi opaque the whole thing glows red. The body is 4 layers of 2" foam glued together. the only place where it isn't solid is where the legs glue in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great job....I usually do a giant spider and web in front of my house also..but looking to make a new spider this yr.
Great detail on yours.. :)

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,960 Posts
That is one amazing spider! And that web is great. How long did it take to make that web? I bet you get alot of compliments from the TOTs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The web wasn't as bad as it looks. I made it 3-4 years ago. It's almost time to make a new one. The twine is starting to look funky.... It took maybe 4 hours at the most.

·
Registered
233 Posts
something to think of I used clear neon on my slayer web so it glows blue under black light. that would look cool here too. they have different colors if you like

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Robzilla,
I checked out your slayer and web. That is pretty cool!
I wish that spider came in a 7' version. It is nice and scary!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice Spider!!
Only one thing tho.....fangs?
I might have to do one of these this year. Already have the web and the vic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts