Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope it's ok to post these here! I finished my prototype invitation last night, and I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few tweaks here and there I may make. I'm not overly happy with the cover...still looking at changing the design on the front - I want a smaller design, so I can stamp the word SPELLS on there, otherwise you don't really KNOW what it is supposed to be.

The invitations were made using 2 brown paper lunch sacks. You can get them anywhere - I got mine at Dollar Tree, 40 for a $1. So, I get 20 invitations per bag, not bad money wise. The "pages" are just printed, tea stained, ripped and adhered. Ripping is the longest time consuming part of it! You'l notice on the last page, my "recipe" for the party, includes all the pertinent details. BTW, the 2 spells in there are REAL spells I found on a site someone here mentioned - I tried to pick the kid friendliest ones, as to not freak out the parents! I'd also REALLY like to use the pentagram on the cover, but fear offending someone *sigh* so I won't. oh, I also slipped in the first verse of my favorite poem! :)

View attachment 5696

View attachment 5697

View attachment 5698

View attachment 5699

View attachment 5700

Please critique away, I appreciate any advice!! THANKS!! :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Great job BevAnn!!!! I absolutely love your invite!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys!! You get to where you've looked at it so much, and thought about it so much, you lose perspective of it's good, or needs more, or what, ya know?! LOL I appreciate all the kind words! :)

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theworstwitch - you know, not too long actually. I have to make 80 now, so I try to make 'em as fast and easy as possible.

Last night, watching tv, I folded all 80. Then I hole punched about half, and had to have DH hole punch the others, as my hand was killing me!! Then while still watching tv, I ran the twine through and tied. So, in the span of about 2 hours, I got the book made.

Today, here at work (ssshhhh!) I'm making 80 copies of the "pages". I'll go home tonight and rip the pages - that is the hardest part!! It'll probably take me all night, or even tomorrow nigh too.

Then after they are all ripped, I'll tea soak them - that easy enough, let them dry. Then ink the edges (another time consuming part, but not too hard) Then adhere, which is easy enough too.

The tearing is def the longest, hardest part - hand tearing looks so much better, but for time-sake, I'll probably use a ruler to tear the 80.

Like I said, I'm stumped on the front - I want a smaller emblem, so at the top, I can put each kid's name, and then SPELL BOOK at the bottom - so it'd be like Colton's Spell Book - and it would be Colton's invitation. Cuz I gotta get their name on there some way, so my boys hand them out correctly. I guess I'll head to Michael's to try to find a smaller stamp for the front. Darn, more shopping!! ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Very nice. Creative and well done. Looks like a lot of work went into it.

Quick question... in your first spell (Get someone to call you)... 4th sentence, what's the second word? Whilest? Is it supposed to be whilst?

·
Registered
946 Posts
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Those are fantastic and creative invitations. Good job. :)

Very nice. Creative and well done. Looks like a lot of work went into it.

Quick question... in your first spell (Get someone to call you)... 4th sentence, what's the second word? Whilest? Is it supposed to be whilst?
I believe you are correct.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AHHH!! DeadTed - YES it is!! I am a stickler for spelling and editing and I completely missed it!! LOL Thank you SO much for spotting that!! :D

Good thing I haven't made my 80 copies yet! LOL The OCD perfectionist in me would have never let the invite go out like that, even if they were all completed before I noticed it!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Critique away my foot! Your just fishing for compliments. And you deserve them. Those are some doing. How many bags did you use for each invite? There is alot of information there. Great job.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PTG - am not!!! LOL I really do think about them, ponder, change them up, so much and for so long, I don't get a good feel for what someone first initial impression is! And then again, the OCD perfectionist comes out in me, and I see lots of little things I could do better, or should change.

Like, the actual party information, is in the "recipe" page. But did anyone notice that?? Have I hidden it TOO well?? I have it and the map at the end - I'm thinking I need to move the party recipe to the front page so it's not looked over. The girls here at work didn't EVEN see the party data, and that's the whole point! LOL

I just used 2 bags for each invite. I bought 4 40 count - so I'll have 80 to pass out.

oh, and IF your on my card exchange, you will be getting one of these, but altered just for you! :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
BevAnn - These are great! I hear ya about the tearing part...I'm very impatient when it comes to the 'slow' part of creativity..;). But you're right, tearing makes all the difference as your invites so beautifully show. Love them! :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very, very nice indeed! I really like it! It looks pretty damn sweet as it is.

I think the cover looks good but I understand your desire add SPELLS to the cover. I might scale down the center decoration and add some decorative accents to each of the 4 corners. But again if your working with stamps scaling the center piece might not be an option without creating a smaller template.

If I were to add anything to the cover beyond SPELLS I might add some more texture items. I'm not a scrapbooking guru but I've seen some of my wife's catalogs and adding dimension and texture to the pages really adds to the over all feel of the page.

But yet again, having to do that to many, many invitations is very time consuming.

Argggh, bottom line. Great job!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh ya'll. I think I'm in troubbble. Double Double. LOL

Me and FOUR friends spent SIX hours...SIX...Saturday, and got 30 invitations done. I have 60 to go!! WTH am I going to do?!?!? This is going to take me foooorrreevverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! I may have actually overstepped my bounds on this one.

*sigh*

1 - 20 of 42 Posts