Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this weird wiggling creepy arm I got at Target, but really did not know what to do with it, other than lay it on the buffet table. (Actually, it is called an ‘animated reaching hand’.)

12777979.jpg

A few weeks ago I found an old aquarium at a yard sale for $1. Then like a lightening bolt of inspiration, I happened to watch a totally fun episode of DEAD with Dave (link below) and he shared a unique technique to age a fish tank using Great Stuff spray foam insulation and DIRT! hahaha LOVE it!! A can of GS, a handful of potting soil, some paint I already had… and I am now the proud owner of a Specimen Preservation Chamber!

1 (2).jpg

I followed this tutorial and love this effect!! He gives a beautifully detailed step-by-step how-to age the tank. You can check out 'How to Crappify a Tank' on this episode... at timestamp 2:40 to 9:45. This how-to is spot on. Easy to follow. I used potting soil, and the same paints except I substituted a 'worn penny' acrylic craft paint I had on hand at the end. When I was done, I decided I was a tad bit too enthusiastic with the cooper paint, so I did a teeny bit of stippling here and there on the brightest parts with a dark moss green to take it down a notch. I really enjoyed that a basic beginner prop builder like myself could follow this tutorial and make something so cool.

Here is an ‘in progess’ photo…

011.jpg

I also am beyond thrilled that our fellow forum member, TWISTED UK was kind enough to provide me with a few suggestions on what to call my tank, and even took the time to make me up some different name plates I could print out and use. How wonderful is that?!? Thank YOU!!

This was fun to make. It lights up too! When you tap on the glass, the fingers start wiggling. Kids are going to LOVE this. I’m not 100% done with it… I need to tweak the inside a bit, but I am happy happy HAPPY with this project!

1 (1).jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
That turned out so well! Great concept and execution. I have a spare ten gallon tank at home that is begging for some action. might have to try this. It would go well in our zombie theme this year. Love it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had this weird wiggling creepy arm I got at Target, but really did not know what to do with it, other than lay it on the buffet table. (Actually, it is called an ‘animated reaching hand’.)

View attachment 203137

A few weeks ago I found an old aquarium at a yard sale for $1. Then like a lightening bolt of inspiration, I happened to watch a totally fun episode of DEAD with Dave (link below) and he shared a unique technique to age a fish tank using Great Stuff spray foam insulation and DIRT! hahaha LOVE it!! A can of GS, a handful of potting soil, some paint I already had… and I am now the proud owner of a Specimen Preservation Chamber!

View attachment 203138

I followed this tutorial and love this effect!! He gives a beautifully detailed step-by-step how-to age the tank. You can check out 'How to Crappify a Tank' on this episode... at timestamp 2:40 to 9:45. This how-to is spot on. Easy to follow. I used potting soil, and the same paints except I substituted a 'worn penny' acrylic craft paint I had on hand at the end. When I was done, I decided I was a tad bit too enthusiastic with the cooper paint, so I did a teeny bit of stippling here and there on the brightest parts with a dark moss green to take it down a notch. I really enjoyed that a basic beginner prop builder like myself could follow this tutorial and make something so cool.

Here is an ‘in progess’ photo…

View attachment 203139

I also am beyond thrilled that our fellow forum member, TWISTED UK was kind enough to provide me with a few suggestions on what to call my tank, and even took the time to make me up some different name plates I could print out and use. How wonderful is that?!? Thank YOU!!

This was fun to make. It lights up too! When you tap on the glass, the fingers start wiggling. Kids are going to LOVE this. I’m not 100% done with it… I need to tweak the inside a bit, but I am happy happy HAPPY with this project!

View attachment 203140
Oh my goodness , Hilda! ILOVE this! You did an amazing job! (You can't see me but I am giving you a standing ovation;) )It looks like a movie prop!

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Hilda this is great!! You are def. great at prop building!
I am Pinning this as it would be a great addition to the mad lab next year!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
20 Participants
Hilda
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing