Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building an animatronic figure and i need help with speaker location? Does the speaker need to be in the animatronics head? Or can the speakers simply be placed on the stage of my animatronic? i would perfer them being placed on the stage, but im afraid that if i do that, the sound won't seem like its coming from my animatronics mouth? or does it matter?

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is better in my opinion to have the speaker close to the mouth for realism. This is usually impractical though, and a speaker set up behind or just in front of the prop will do.
Pete

·
Registered
527 Posts
Impractical in that there is not much room in the head for a speaker of any decent size. A small speaker can be pretty tinny and low wattage.
Halstaff has a good compromise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A couple of things come to mind. The biggest factor is distance from the prop to the spectators. Sound waves come out in a cone shape and the farther away you are the larger the cone. So if you are say 10 feet away the cone covers the entire figure and you can place the speaker on the floor and it will seem like it is coming from the correct position. Of course higher frequencies are more directional so they need more distance for it to work.

And the second biggest factor is the human brain. If the spectator can see the props mouth move and hear the "voice" coming from close to the location then the brain makes it seem to be coming from the mouth, even if it is lower. Again the frequency makes a difference here also but mostly you can get away with placing a speaker on the floor and it will still seem to be coming from the mouth.

This is a VERY simplified version of what is happening and of course other environment factors have an effect. If you want to get more detailed I can do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts