Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Haunters,

Getting my procrastinating butt in gear for this year's haunt of my Neverest Cemetery and I would love to add a ton of spanish moss to the trees, gates, fence and columns in my graveyard. Ebay has people selling bags of it at a pretty hefty price and retail stores only seem to sell small packages of the stuff.

Has anyone here been able to find a source for decent amounts of the stuff at a reasonable price? I could simply do a Google search, but I figured you guys would have the inside scoop on a good deal.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My local Michaels had bags of it on 80% off clearance ( I think it was down to like $2.50 a bag). It was in their spring/summer clearance floral section.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Plan a trip down to the gulf states. Just hit up any old state park down that way and harvest what you want. Don't pull that trick in a national park or forest though, they have laws against removing anything.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My local Michaels had bags of it on 80% off clearance ( I think it was down to like $2.50 a bag). It was in their spring/summer clearance floral section.
I forgot to mention that this is faux spanish moss you can use over and over...in long drape-y pieces....I bought some years ago at another store and it looks real when hanging from the trees. Here is a pic from a few years back of what I am talking about...

100_1800.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi ckenyon1964. My name is Ron Ortiz and my web site is moss4u.com and we offer Spanish moss live, dried and dyed. We ship a minimum of 5 lbs and can handle any amount you want. For 200 lbs or more we have wholesale pricing. You can call us anytime with questions, pricing, information on care, and so on. We also carry Sheet moss, Mood moss, Shag moss, Reindeer moss and Black Curly Lichen. We would be glad to help you out with you needs.

941-662-5695

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking forward to hearing from you.

I just posted on the "Introduce Yourself" section so as people will know about us. Also I am going to do our first post on tips for Spanish moss.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought a 10 lb box of it off eBay. Do your research on where you get it from or you may have to take specific precautions. For ex: mine, i found a red bug in the box which common to live in Spanish moss. I essentially ended up boiling all the moss I had then dried it out so it was the Dried kind. I still have it in a bag, but it was a little bit of a hassle but overall I ended up spending like 15 for a 10lb box. So for me a little hassle was worth it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understand your situation Dark Crop. Our Spanish moss is sprayed with Pygamic, a natural organic pesticide before it is shipped for exactly your situation. Usually spiders are the main problem, not live ones, but the eggs that might remain in the moss. If the moss is kept in the box the newly hatched spiders will die due to the pesticide. All of our mosses are "florist quality" and we Guarantee our mosses. If you have a problem we will rectify it. We will be glad to service your Spanish moss needs without the hassles. Thanks for responding.

Ron Ortiz
Moss4U

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I understand your situation Dark Crop. Our Spanish moss is sprayed with Pygamic, a natural organic pesticide before it is shipped for exactly your situation. Usually spiders are the main problem, not live ones, but the eggs that might remain in the moss. If the moss is kept in the box the newly hatched spiders will die due to the pesticide. All of our mosses are "florist quality" and we Guarantee our mosses. If you have a problem we will rectify it. We will be glad to service your Spanish moss needs without the hassles. Thanks for responding.

Ron Ortiz
Moss4U
Ron, I'd like to offer a suggestion to help you sell better to haunters.

Find a barren tree and hang the various amounts you sell from the tree and take pictures, so we can get some idea of what sort of coverage 5, 10, 20, 50 lbs. etc. will provide.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ron, I'd like to offer a suggestion to help you sell better to haunters.

Find a barren tree and hang the various amounts you sell from the tree and take pictures, so we can get some idea of what sort of coverage 5, 10, 20, 50 lbs. etc. will provide.
That is an EXCELLENT idea!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. On our other mosses we have the coverage area in square feet next to the pricing. As I am looking around for a barren tree, I am somewhat disappointed. It has rained here for two weeks now and everything is as green as can be, no barren trees. I'll figure something out and post the pictures. We get calls all the time about coverage of Spanish moss, and we tell the people it depends upon the desired thickness or the amount of whispering.

When we ship Spanish moss say in a five pound box, it is five pounds of moss plus the box, not a total of 5 lbs. It is packed pretty tight, that is why you should fluff it up upon delivery so it can breathe. Here are the box sizes if this helps.

5 lb box. 11" x 15" x 16"
10 lb box 24" x 12" x 12"
28 lb box 21" x 21" x 17"
50 lb box 16" x 16" x 40"

Oh, it's raining now, again. Pictures coming soon. As usual, you can call us anytime for information 941-662-5695. Thanks.

Ron Ortiz
Moss4u

·
Registered
89 Posts
Send some of that Florida rain to Colorado please.... and maybe some moss too - going to check out your site now!

AnD I don't mean to sound cheap or anything, but any chance of discounts on anything for forum users? Do a limited time coupon and post here and I bet that will get a fair amount of sales just off of that!

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
556boyer, funny that you mentioned that, we have been discussing this exact situation and how to do it on our site. We have to program it just right or things can get out of whack. We offer wholesale pricing on orders over 200 lbs and usually discuss with the customer the quantity and special pricing via phone. We also have discounted pricing on smaller weights of orders of 2-3 more boxes, 4 or more boxes of Spanish moss.

We have full intentions of offering a discount for forum members as soon as we can figure it out. Meanwhile, it is still raining.

Ron Ortiz
Moss4U

·
Registered
29 Posts
Moss4U is offering Halloween Forum members a 10% discount on our mosses. If you buy in quantities of Spanish moss there is an escalating discount, then your member discount of 10% is on top of that. This covers our Spanish moss, Sheet moss, Mood moss, Shag moss and Reindeer moss. Whether you are buying fresh, dried or dyed, the 10% discount applies. Our retail bags and Black Curly Lichen are not included in this offer. Additionally, our great tasting Tom's Barbeque Sauce is not discounted, sorry. it should be noted that if you are purchasing over 200 lbs to contact us by phone for special wholesale pricing.

We look forward to providing HauntWorld members with the finest mosses available at great prices.

For your 10% discount when you are in the Add To Cart section use the "Coupon Code" box with your member code. It must be typed in all capital letters.

The code word is BOO

That's right, BOO

I had to use a code that was real high on the security settings. I like complex things.

Ron Ortiz
Moss4U

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
556boyer
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing