Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm about to start on my first animated prop, and need some advice on the best type of motor to use. I'm making a skeleton that will rise slowly (say every 20 seconds or so) from a coffin. I'm guessing I need something with a low gear ratio but with reasonable torque.

What kind of motors do the kind folk on the forum use, and can a source be recommended?

Thanks in advance,
Grant
Australia

·
Registered
902 Posts
My advice to you would be to use a linear actuator motor, they are a little pricey but will do what you want, and some of them will move up to 500 lbs, let us see it as you're building that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks craigsrobotics. I hadn't heard of tmart before. I'll contact fright props and check shipping to Australia...it's usually surprisingly expensive to ship things from the U.S. to here.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
You may want to consider going with pneumatics instead of a motor. Either method will work, I personally prefer pneumatics. A lot of people get scared off from using them if they're not familiar with it, pneumatics are really pretty simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all...food for thought. As expected, shipping the motor from the U.S. to Australia was about $40 USD, about $60 AU, which really starts to drive the price up. I will take a look at local sources and see what I can find.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yes, look locally for a motor. No sense paying all that money for shipping.

A lot of the speed controllers are shipped directly from China, or you may be able to find someone on ebay in Australia who sells them.

I don't think pneumatics would work for you. Much too fast.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Unfortunately, the "cost" of using pneumatics (not only monetary cost) in this application is far greater than using a motorized solution. I usually prefer pneumatics in more complex and robust animatronic applications. For this simple effect, however, pneumatics would be, IMO, overkill and far more monetarily expensive as well...would also require a compressor, fittings, cylinder, valve, regulator, controller etc....

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Unfortunately, the "cost" of using pneumatics (not only monetary cost) in this application is far greater than using a motorized solution. I usually prefer pneumatics in more complex and robust animatronic applications. For this simple effect, however, pneumatics would be, IMO, overkill and far more monetarily expensive as well...would also require a compressor, fittings, cylinder, valve, regulator, controller etc....
True you need a compressed air source but you would be surprised how cheap the other parts are available on ebay. :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
The best and proven motor is the wiper motor. Go to the junk yard and explain it is for your kids school project. they will sell it half the price or give you a pile for low money. motor has 2 speeds with alot of tourqe. Power adapter you will need is 12dc 5 amp (looks like or is a laptop charger.) lower ampage you will loose the tourqe or it wont even budge. you could use a cheap car battery charger for testing.

there are many impressive things to be built with this motor and later with better understanding and knowledge you can move up to pneumatics, servos, stepper motors, controllers ................

best of luck.

Fletch

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually, I was having issues using one of those speed controllers with a wiper motor for my witch cauldron. The the speed controller caused the motor to emit a lot of noise when slowed down, (most people hadn't experienced that problem, but for some reason I was) so madmax suggested I use a lower voltage power source (less that 12v) to slow the wiper motor, which did the trick perfectly, and still had plenty of torque. He was even kind enough to send me a couple of lower voltage power supplies. Great guy, that madmax is. In other words, go with the wiper motor, and use one of those cheep speed controllers, or you can play around with different voltages that are less than 12v to obtain the speed you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts