Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my soundtrack for my cemetery this year. I have a lightning track with it for some lightning fx boxes I have.
This is the first year I'll be doing something other than blaring some spooky sounds from a bookshelf system and I don't know where to begin.
I was thinking of using a cheap surround sound system but I have no idea how powerful of a system I should get. My yard area is about 50 feet across or so and where I'd put the speakers is about 15 feet off the sidewalk.
I don't need to get any noise citations, but I do want people to be able to hear it from the street.
What do you guys use?
Any suggestions?
HELP!

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
If you want decent volume don't bother with SS.... unless you want to spend some serious money.

I use SS but I use it for directional sound and to facilitate 8 sound channels from my computers.

You could use Y splitters and multiple stereo speaker sets if you want small area coverage with multiple speakers, it will probably prove a lot simpler than SS

for my front graveyard sound I use a 1000W PA system, its capable of chucking out a LOT of noise, but at lower volumes you get pretty good sound coverage.... and my neighbours dont complain since they are out helping me with the haunt.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Jlb307, I just use an old Kenwood reciever from the 90's. It works good along with a 5 Disc Cd player. You could find one at a pawn shop or goodwill cheap. I also use Bose outdoor speakers that I set behind the hedges and this year I am going to use a Powered Bass Speaker. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the past I've used a "bookshelf" system by Aiwa and years later added a subwoofer and it yielded good results. Had to crank it up a bit to get decent volume outside, but it did the job. This year I've upgraded. I've got a slightly more powerful home theater receiver on the way, 4 decent outdoor speakers and a more than decent JBL sub to go with them which should be louder and clearer than ever. I plan on putting the outdoor speakers out before Halloween for some ambiance, but the sub isn't outdoor proof so that will probably stay in 'til Halloween. But yeah, unless your yard is huge and/or you want "concert" volume levels, a decent home system should do just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
P.A. System

I have this system that I use as a portable setup for wedding ceremonies with my DJ business. It's only 100W but it has a great and loud sound from it. When I setup on the beach you can hear the echo going up to the 20th floor. I also use it every Halloween. I can set the audio level just enough to be heard across the street ( about 100 to 150 ft ). I've run this system almost every weekend for the past 4 years with no problems.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just use a large boom box on the floor of the porch tucked underneath a prop. You can hear it 15 houses down if it's cranked. sorta ghetto but works just fine! Plus the music gets louder the closer you get so it helps build the suspense.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just keep it simple after all. My wife found her old Aiwa system that seems to work pretty well.
Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts