Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a way to set up a switch or lock to be activated by a particular sound? think bruce wayne opening the door to the batcave with a particular note on the piano. if it's possible, how involved is it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Using a microcontroller (Arduino, etc.) you press a button that plays the sound - and also secretly triggers the door. The button can be disguised as something else.

·
Registered
516 Posts
What's the application? Do you want voice control or do you want to send an audio signal that does something? Will the trick or treater's hear the sound?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the application? Do you want voice control or do you want to send an audio signal that does something? Will the trick or treater's hear the sound?
basically i'm wondering whether a door can be set to open in response to a sequence of sounds being played. it's actually not even specifically for a halloween application, but i figured if anyone would know how to do it, HF would know. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
See J-MANs post. He has a good plan there. It uses phone tones as opposed to music so it would be very unlikely that someone else would stumble upon the code. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
basically i'm wondering whether a door can be set to open in response to a sequence of sounds being played. it's actually not even specifically for a halloween application, but i figured if anyone would know how to do it, HF would know. :D
A "poor man's version" might be to have a small MIDI keyboard controller sitting there, on to which someone plays a particular melody. Sort of how they used to play some notes/chords on the piano to open the elevator to the Bat Cave. One could monitor the MIDI data stream on a computer, and look for the proper sequence. This would be easier than actually doing audio analysis/pattern matching, I feel. (Such as a Willy Wonka flute lock might require. Come to think of it, that was a keyboard too. It only sounded like a flute.) ;)

Just an idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts