Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not really planning a theme so much. More like planning props, but yes. We have already started planning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to get all stressed out about getting stuff done, but a couple of years ago I desided to chance my plans. My motto is now "what gets done,gets done. The rest if for next year" So basically I never really stop working. I do take some time off during the winter, but I still tinker along most of the time. I have stayed with the same theme since I started in ' 04. Classic skelletons, ghosts, witches, zombies, ect. I add new stuff and retire old stuff but the theme is the same.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Starting? I started thinking about '14 months ago...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Due to chronic Triskadekaphobia, we kinda-sorta skipped this year. Instead we are gonna re-group and debut the theme we had planned for this year in '14. We plan to do more off-season stuff so we are more ready for the big day. And if the PowerBall pays off, we'll really do it up right. :eek:

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Yes, I definitely think it's time for something new. I've done the cemetery for 10 years now and even though I've added new things each year and made changes, I'm still getting kinda bored with it. I'm playing around with a few different ideas. I've thought about doing a New Orleans haunted jazz/voodoo theme, and I've also considered going completely non-scary and doing the pumpkin patch with the Peanuts gang. Not sure which will win out; maybe something else entirely, but I'm going to try and choose by January and get started so i don't feel rushed and end up going back to the same old thing again. That's what i did this year. Not that anyone else knew that - I still got great reactions and compliments on my set up. I'm the only one bored with it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Made my first prop for 2014 last night while waiting for ToT's. 2014 theme is Twisted tales which include willy wonka candy meadow in black and white among some other ideas. Gotta to get this year's display and haunt down so I can go full force in collecting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since I am basically starting from scratch anyway, I will be starting by building new tombstones. Hopefully new columns, and I would like to try my hand at Beloved. As if that wasn't enough, my daughter had the idea that a zombie wedding in a graveyard would be cool. I am sure we are biting off more than we can chew, but what the heck. If it doesn't get all done, I'll just put out what I have.

·
The Haunting Girl
854 Posts
I've been planning. I'll be doing the Garry Street Cemetery again, but building bigger and better. Gotta make more tombstones, finish the fence, redesign the window scenes, etc. Also, figure out advertising. My landlord was saying I should put up flyers at the smaller local stores that only residents go to and a few signs around the town.
Halloween is going to be on a Friday next year too, this is going to be big!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yup, I have ideas. :) I need a new arch for our entrance, since our current one has had it, and we're going to do less spiders next year since we found out our neighbors little girl is particularly afraid of spiders. I'm thinking of an Egyptian tomb theme for next year.

·
Registered
570 Posts
since we had all this rain, and it ruined this Halloween and some of my things..Im thinking maybe something new...anyone else already thinking?
Absolutely. I am in the same boat with being fed up with having to deal with the obtuse weather we get just about every Halloween. I have been doing a Magic Mirror / yard display since 2009 and almost every year (except 2011) there was some kind of weather issue:

2009, 2010 - High Winds
2011 - We had snow in the morning but it was all gone by the time the TOTs came out and it turned out to be our best night ever
2012 - Hurricane Sandy took out power to my area and I resorted to a 'Plan B' for Halloween which encompassed mostly battery operated props.
2013 - While we had a good night last night there was some drizzle and some wind, nothing too drastic, but there was always the thought hanging over my head that I could get a downpour at any time...this fear was strongest during teardown as the forcast even said that it might rain LATE at night.

Well, at about 8:15 last night I made a MAD dash to get all my rain sensitive props in the house thinking all the while it was going to come down any minute. I ended up finishing at 9:45 and I was DRENCHED in sweat from head to waistline. But luckily the rain held up.

Today (Friday Nov 1), the winds picked up even more and the rain came down in torrents off and on. I kept thinking that could have happened yesterday. So unfortunately I am thinking about doing something totally different for next year. I been doing my Magic Mirror routine for 4 years now and I do want to do something in which I can get out from 'behind the (mirror) mask'. Also next year will be a Friday night for Halloween and kids will not have to go to school the next day. So I do want to do something good for next year.

To recap this is what I did for this year:

1) Magic Mirror routine (ala Snow White) based on a digital puppet created by Imagineerieing.com. (I have done this since 2009 minus 2012 because of the hurricane).
2) Singing Pumpkins - I did this in 2010 and this year (2013), but I really elaborated on it for this year. It came out GREAT!
3) Jumping Spider - My first scare as up to now my display was all family friendly. I put the spider in the corner of the yard with ample signs telling people that a scare lies beyond the sign.

I also have some smaller static props and quite a bit of lighting that I put in the bushes and trees.

The Magic Mirror Display sits in a side entrance vestibule in which I operate the mirror from within. It is MOSTLY sheilded from the weather, except for the front. If I have a drizzle to light rain, I am OK, but anything heavier and I can just as easily close the door in front of the display.

The Singing Pumpkins are somewhat at risk even though this year I put a tarp over the electronic components of the display. For next year I been thinking about moving the singing pumpkins into the vestibule to take the place of the Magic Mirror.

I would like to move the main part of my display underneath the back yard patio which has a large awning over it. I would say this covered area is about 15' by 25' at best. It is too small to divide up into 'rooms' for a full haunt, but I could divide it into two smaller sections. One nice thing is that there is full length sliding glass door there in which I could put a scare. My main goal for next year would be to utilize this area.

Back in 2011 I wanted to use this area, but there were many issues that came up that year, but I still have the pictures of the yard up here.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/104733-haunt-2011-first-year-scares-my-canvas.html

Now after looking at that, I am curious as to how I might be able to turn this into some kind of semi-scary mad scientist lab type theme. The reason why I chose this theme is that I have a TON of electronic parts and equipment from my days as a service technician and many of these parts I could use to build props for the mad lab. The thing is that I want to incorporate it into the patio area only as it would be somewhat unaffected by the weather.

There is a small yard area next to the awning that I could make use of but in that area I would only put props that could handle heavy weather, such as string lights or other items of the like.

As of now I have not began to formulate how I would pull this off, or what gimick I could create that is still kid friendly. All in all, with NO Magic Mirror, I am going to need to replace that. At the same token, I don't want to be locked behind a setup I would like to easily get up and about or perhaps be an interactive part of the display.

I AM open to ideas and suggestions. Since I will not be looking here that often, if you have a really good idea that you would like to share with me, please drop me a PM.

Thank You,

Geo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I knew I'd find a thread like this here!!! :D

We concentrated on the inside this year, but Hubby wants to do something outside for next year. Some kind of a walk-through for the ToTs and something to keep my son and his friends occupied, as they're reaching the age where they're outgrowing going out to collect candy.

We're up in the air on specifics, but we're leaning towards either a pirate or voodoo theme and decorate the back yard. That way, nobody knows what we're setting up until Halloween night when we'll route the braver kids through the yard and give 'em a good scare! Should be fun! ;)

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
I gave away 2 truck loads of Halloween stuff all my props for dark Alice in wounderland. Not sure if I will do party next year or decorate outside. But for sure inside not really set on any theme just yet.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts