Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I just wanted to show this little witch house we made in the woods on our property, since the project is pretty much at the end (just interior decor - so to say - at this point).
It was a whopping 12$ and mostly for screws, since the wood was for free from the local lumber store - thank you, Georgia weather, for constantly screwing up lumber that then can not be sold!

The starting point was this:

IMG_1604.jpg IMG_1609.jpg

At the end of the day the basic skeleton of the house was ready:

IMG_1611.jpg IMG_1612.jpg

And it was time for siding & roofing (day two):

IMG_1613.jpg IMG_1622.jpg

Then, everything else went up (path, door, window, bay window, steps):

IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg IMG_1630.jpg IMG_1644.jpg

So, it looks like this at the present time:

IMG_3752.jpg

There are things that still need to be done (pumpkin patch on the side! More paraphernalia inside! More cowbell!), but we want the house to "evolve" slowly as a sort of weird countdown to Halloween. Also, since the kids in the neighborhood "discovered it", they come almost on a daily basis in the afternoon to see what's new and obviously when they ask "did you made it?", the answer is "nooooo, it just showed up over night, I'm clueless about it as you" ( :D ). So, right now is mostly working around the kids.

The idea was to come up with something that - if not realistic - was at least "possible" in the eyes of a kid. And weird. Very weird.
The plan is - if everything inside is safe enough - to let the children (one or two at at time) to come in accompanied by yours truly, the witch :)
Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Brilliant - wish we had the time, space, free wood to do something like this. Hope you plan to get some low lying fog and creepy (green?) lighting around that thing on the big night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, you are so nice!!

For this year some smoke will come out of the cauldron on the side of the house - I've never worked with a fog machine before (actually I'm pretty new to everything in terms of effects) but definitely it's something we would like to implement next year.
The lighting will be provided by a lot (a lot A LOT) of candles and torches - in a (probably silly and for sure ridiculous) attempt to keep the "realism" going on for the kids.
We will see, fortunately there is still time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! can't believe you got all that wood for free.
I know! And it's treated lumber, on top of that! It was on the back yard of the lumber store, warped and defective and taking space - they were so happy we showed interest, they even delivered it for free!
If you have a small local lumber store in your town, chances are they may have stuff like that too - no harm in asking!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow! That is super cool and really well done! I really dug your use of the really twisted pieces. Being aged gives it a great been there a while look too. As a carpenter it melts my brain a little. I'd have a hard time not "adjusting" the twisted wood to fix it. In other words, ruining the look you got haha. Idea for candles... I just got a bunch of flickering candle LED's for $.48 ea pre-wired from Lighthouse LED. There's a few tutorials on line on how to make candles out of PVC and drilled real candles. Tutorials seem really simple and would be a great, safer than flame way to light it. Like you did with your lumber yard, you may be able to get broken pvc pieces from a landscape or plumbing supply place for free or cheap.

Really nice work. Wish I could see it up close.

Edit: By pre-wired I mean the wire leads already on the LED light. Just have to wire to a 12v adapter (pretty easy).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! That is super cool and really well done! I really dug your use of the really twisted pieces. Being aged gives it a great been there a while look too. As a carpenter it melts my brain a little. I'd have a hard time not "adjusting" the twisted wood to fix it. In other words, ruining the look you got haha. Idea for candles... I just got a bunch of flickering candle LED's for $.48 ea pre-wired from Lighthouse LED. There's a few tutorials on line on how to make candles out of PVC and drilled real candles. Tutorials seem really simple and would be a great, safer than flame way to light it. Like you did with your lumber yard, you may be able to get broken pvc pieces from a landscape or plumbing supply place for free or cheap.

Really nice work. Wish I could see it up close.

Edit: By pre-wired I mean the wire leads already on the LED light. Just have to wire to a 12v adapter (pretty easy).
Thank you so much!!
Ha, I know exactly what you mean from your carpenter point of view, my husband is just like you! I would see an impossibly twisted piece of lumber and say "I shall use THIS!" and he would look like I just used profanity :D (Btw, did I mention that no measuring tape was ever used during the construction?)

LED lights! Yes! I started buying them some time ago every time I saw a deal. Realism yes, major fire hazard not so much. So inside and in the proximity of the house (and the woods) everything will be safe flickering fake candles.

It's on my list of things to do to take close up photos - once I'm done with the other projects. If I survive them, that is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts