Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating doing something completely different this year for our outdoor display. Rather than the tombstones, coffins and fog, I'm thinking of.....PEANUTS CUT-OUTS. You know, Charlie Brown, Lucy, Pig Pen and so on. Using larger than life plywood shapes, painted by our two daughters, well illuminated, maybe a few real Jacks and a single fog chiller. Scaled right back.

The thing I'm Leary about is, will today's kids even RECOGNIZE who those figures are? Are they still relevant? What do you guys think? I'd appreciate your input...

·
Registered
268 Posts
There's a pumpkin patch up in Denton Texas that does dozens and dozens of cut outs. There are a few Peanuts ones, Snoopy flying his Sopwith with bullet holes, Charlie Brown and Lucy with the football, Linus and his blanket. They also do tons and tons of the modern cartoon characters which the kids seem to gravitate towards. Fineas and Ferb, Amazing World of Gumball, Gravity Falls, Uncle Grandpa, The Regular Show etc.

The adults are more likely to get a kick out of Peanuts, the ToT's more modern. Some of those above have very generic shapes you could cut out. Fineas and Ferb look like Doritos.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I think today's kids would have no problem recognizing the Peanuts characters. Especially since the Charlie Brown Halloween Special is shown on T.V. every season.

Well, I'm assuming they also show it every year in American Samoa?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I love it and I seriously considered doing that very thing this year. For Christmas, I have Snoopy, Charlie, Linus, and Lucy stringing lights on the dog house, Sally on ice skates, and Schroeder at the piano. It's pretty unique, at least around here, and I get tons of compliments on it. The only thing missing for me is some 3d elements. If I ever do them for Halloween, I'll most likely also use some things like hanging ghosts, real pumpkins, etc.
I hope you decide to do it and if you do I can't wait to see pictures!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
There's a 3D Charlie Brown movie due in theatres early next year (I know it sounds horrible but it looks like they're taking a fair bit of care to be as faithful as they can in the new medium)

Anyway, someone thinks the audience is there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have been doing Charlie Brown and the gang for about 10 years now. The kids love it and they want their pictures taken with the characters. I always do a pumpkin patch with the characters and it is a little different each year. Since I live on a corner lot, I can do one theme in front and one theme on the side of the hose. Take a look at my website for some pictures over the years.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,034 Posts
Yes!!! Take pics because I want to see it!!! "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is one of my fave Halloween specials! Like others have said, the Peanuts shows are still shown for every holiday every year, and there is tons of merchandise out all the time for them, especially around the holidays. At the very least, even many of the young ones will know who Snoopy is!! I have wanted, for awhile now, to make a pumpkin patch...the most sincere pumpkin patch...and have Linus and Sally cutouts in the center of it, don't forget the "Welcome Great Pumpkin" sign...the rest of the gang in their Halloween costumes...Snoopy all decked out is his aviator gear and bullet hole filled dog house...Sigh...perfect...I hope I can do this some year, and would love to see your pics if you choose to do it!

Now I need to watch it, lol.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do it!! And please post pics. I have seen and bought several Peanuts themed Halloween items this year in stores. I think kids will have no problem recognizing the characters. :)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
I doubt anyone, child or adult, would fail to recognize Charlie Brown and the lot. Charles Shultz created one flock of characters for my generation that just keeps invading all the rest. I can't believe I was only 12 or 13 when "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" was first shown on CBS. It was the second holiday special they made. The first, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" was shown a year earlier. The Peanuts gang are still the major characters at Knott's Berry Farm back home and probably Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America, unless Camp Snoopy bit the dust once the Cedar Fair folks bought and totally assassinated Walter Knott's theme parks. 'Course, as always, I have no real opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts