Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very surprised to see "Manufactured With Genetically Engineered Ingredients" printed on several bags of Halloween candy and snacks this year.

I'm guessing it is because Halloween stuff is seasonal and the companies had to have all of the special new packaging printed recently. We will probably start seeing the labels on "normal" products more and more this year.

I don't want to start a whole big thing because I know that people are usually very passionately for or against GMOs. Its just something I noticed while doing my usual Halloween shopping.

Was wondering if anyone else noticed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if this will contribute to more of it going straight to the bin?
Yeah - I was also thinking about that too. Or if it will hurt (or help?) sales this year?

I'm thinking that between the artificial colors, allergies, gluten, nut allergies, etc. etc. that we might just give out non-edibles this year anyway.

I guess the point of my post was also to highlight some of the changes I've seen in treats recently. For example - there is an organic treats section at Target now - an entire section!! And also, they have allergen lists that you can take with you to shop that says which candies have soy, dairy, nuts, gluten, etc. Never thought I would ever see that!

That - and also the Teal Pumpkin Project returns this year and is going more mainstream - with a feature in this Sunday's Michaels ad. I also saw "Official Teal Pumpkin Paint Kits" at the grocery store today.

I mean, I think it is a good thing that people are thinking more and caring more about what goes into their food - especially things targeted for kids.

I was telling my neighbors that this year we were giving out carrot sticks and hummus! :p haha weird kid me would have loved that!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We have done the teal pumpkins for a couple years now, and honestly...we have not had one person be specific and ask :/ we have friends that own a comic book store so we give out halloween comic books for it now. But last year we just started giving them to everyone because we had SO many!
I worry that with so many restrictions on dietary needs mire people are just getting fed up with trying to accomodate everyone and turning off the lights. Makes me sad, but I truly feel this is one reason we see more dark houses. Which makes me sad.
However, I am very accomodating because I feel halloween is for everyone and have friends with kids who have allergies, autism etc so I am a very accomodating person as it is from experience with those things. Just makes me sad to think that this is likely one more drop in the bucket of overwhelming people to not partake anymore. :(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hopelesslyinsane I am in agreeance. The only organic I buy is if what I am buying just happens to be organic haha. (like...I love the costco tomato paste. It seems thicker than other brands. And it just happens to be organic. I just worry that this will add one more facet to people throwing in the towel on halloween. :(

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I think this labeling is GREAT!

Most people who eat non-GMO and organic are people who have multiple autoimmune diseases, food sensitivities, or in some cases, a history of cancer, or are just plain health conscious. I've become one of them.

When I got really ill last year, I re-examined everything I was doing and not doing in my life, and made a lot of changes.

19 months later, through a lot of research, study, trial and error, and effort, my health is restored. I still have all the chronic conditions, but all but one is back in remission now. Wish I knew years ago what I know now. I feel as good as I felt in my 30's now.

One of my favorite educators on herbicides such as glyphosate and GMO's is Stephanie Seneff, Ph.D. at MIT. Mike Mutzel of High Intensity Health recently interviewed her... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX5OiRRNRnU She's helped and is helping so many people.

Six months into my health crisis, I started a diabetes education, support, and walking group. That's when I learned how devastating diabetes is when treated with the diet advocated by the American Diabetes Association, medication, and insulin alone after a few decades. Nor did I know that diabetes does not have to be a progressive disease and that there are better choices out there, but I do now.

Happily, for the first time, what started as hypoglycemia 35 years ago, my diabetes is in remission, thanks to the low carb diet, thoughtfully chosen, quality supplements, intermittent fasting, and walking. I'm not alone. All of our members is so much healthier now.

Some people don't have to do much of anything to maintain good health. Wish I was one of them! :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,403 Posts
It might be an unpopular opinion but I see nothing wrong with GMOs. We have corn because of genetic engineering!

I give out both candy and non food treats to every kid.
Corn, potatoes, lots of things have been genetically engineered to make them edible. Potatoes as they were originally were found were poisonous. And the Native American's corn from many ages ago is nothing like the corn of today.

Smithsonian Magazine had an interesting article on the origins of today's corn....hang on...googling...
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/to-decode-mystery-corn-smithsoniain-scientists-recreate-earth-ten-thousand-years-ago-180949708/

Evolution of corn:

Potatoes are from the nightshade family, which as almost everyone here knows as "Deadly Nightshade." If someone hadn't altered potatoes enough to be edible we'd all be dead from eating them.

I kinda don't care much either way at this point in my life but the labeling is good for those that care or are allergic to things.

I too give out both candy & non-candy stuff. Mostly because as a kid I would've loved getting candy and silly little toys.

I'd also just kinda assume almost EVERYTHING in candy isn't good for you or some weird chemical to begin with unless it's something completely homemade & then no one gives that stuff out any more any way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the labeling is fine, another mandate passed down from the State like any other. People and Businesses deal as they always have.

I personally find the hoopla around GMOs rather silly but people are inclined to believe what they like. I recall a couple years ago with the "Trans Fat" thing that me and my girlfriend went out of our way in the grocery store to find something with Transfat in it, we found Icecream. Now, I have never met anyone who thought Icecream was good for you but if putting the label on it makes people feel better than so be it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I like having a choice, especially now that I have children. Studies have shown that brain growth & development in the first 3 years is incredible, so even though it might be easy for me to know that candy isn't as good for my kiddos as vegetables, I personally feel like consumers should vote with their dollars.

I am way more concerned about pesticides than GMO's, but without going too political here, I would like to point out that there are a few companies that have a monopoly & tight hold on seed production & genetic modification that I strongly disagree with. Not to mention various environmental issues with some of these "GMO" companies & their history of poisonous chemicals that have done untold damage to the environment & wildlife.

Sooo... I think choice is good, but I do recognize that not all people will educate themselves, which is unfortunate. Science is a good thing, so "genetically modified" doesn't necessarily mean we're eating something that's produced by using genes of a fish with genes of a chicken spliced together.

Food is a complicated issue because so many of us have more feelings around it than just eating it for energy. I mean, food can feel like home, food can remind you of loved ones, food can be spiritual, food can be healing, food can be how people show their love for others, food can be a comfort, people can try to "eat" their feelings with food, etc.

So I can certainly understand that some companies oppose GMO labeling because they rightly fear that some consumers won't educate themselves & will avoid or stop buying their products if it has GMO's in it. It's true that maybe some of the Halloween candy will end up in the trash over this. But, as a consumer who strongly feels like I'm entitled to know what's in my food because I can make my own informed choices, this is something I'm very pleased about! :)

Lemme climb off my soapbox now, sorry! LOL!

To be reassuring though, I don't think candy will ever stop being popular, especially at Halloween! We might see changes in that candy gets some different ingredients or somehow becomes a little *less* bad for us, but I think the majority of people who want their kids to participate in Trick or Treating understand that candy is not only important to the process, but for some people, it's the whole point! In a way, it might even be nostalgic at some point for those of us that give out traditional treats like candy bars! Ha ha ha! Can you imagine? I remember being a kid & getting popcorn balls or raisins or even candy apples at some houses (this was in the 80s) and if my parents felt comfortable, they let us eat it. Maybe now the houses will give out apple slices or even that carrots & hummus that was mentioned, and all us giving out real candy will be even more popular than we already are! :D

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm in my mid-50's and enjoyed reasonably good health until early last year. I spent up to 8 hours a day for months and months trying to understand what happened to me and how to back my way out of it - (type 2 diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, non-celiac gluten sensitivity, subclinical hyperthyroid, angina).

With the exception of the subclinical hyperthyroid that I've been bouncing in and out of for 13 years, all my other conditions are now firmly in remission thanks to switching to a diet that is organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, low carb/ketogenic that includes nutrient dense, whole foods, and using intermittent fasting, thoughtfully chosen nutritional supplements (that are mostly created from organic, whole foods), and walking. I also eliminated grains from my diet.

What continues to fascinate me is that these strategies play an important role in managing/reversing ALL chronic health conditions, including cancer, that take decades to develop.

Why didn't I do this sooner? Because up until last year, I was fine, eating a reasonably healthy diet and doing all the things that normal people do.

I had attended a gluten-free group periodically for years. When I became ill, I began attending all meetings, and, quite by chance, met two women who each had multiple autoimmune diseases who generously shared with me what helped them. They introduced me to an entirely different way of thinking about health and deepened my interest in learning more about the foods we eat and how it affects us.

From there I began attending online health summits which generated for me a lot more questions, which I researched one by one.

During that year two things happened that rocked my world: I had the genetic test done to determine whether or not I had celiac disease - (I do not) - and I came across research that pointed the finger toward glyphosate, an ingredient in the herbicide RoundUp used on wheat, barley, oats, corn, soy, and many more crops, as a probable cause of many of the chronic conditions I have, which begs the question...Is non-celiac gluten sensitivity due to gluten or glyphosate exposure?

I was stunned, shocked. I did more research and found more studies supporting this data including the NHANES studies. I understand that correlation is not causation, but I read enough to convince me to eliminate all animal and plant foods that contain glyphosate from my diet.

It got easier after I joined our local food co-op. I now eat organic, pastured eggs, chicken, beef, and dairy, and organic oils, vegetables, fruits, berries, and nuts, but am having a hard time finding a good source of pork. I miss bacon the most and started eating it again recently. Unfortunately, toxins are stored in animal fat, and within a few weeks of resuming eating bacon, I developed itchy, red bumps here and there on my skin, so no more pork for me until I find a source that is not fed glyphosate treated crops (which is common now).

Few people have the time or interest to learn about the herbicides used on our food. I was one of them until last year.

If you, like me, have any chronic diseases, and only listen to one online lecture, I encourage you to listen to Mike Mutzel's recent interview with Stephanie Seneff, Ph.D. of MIT. Here's the link again... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX5OiRRNRnU

I'm not posting this because I want to engage in debate. That's not how I roll, and frankly, I come here to take a break from thinking about these things. I share this to pay forward the life changing support and information I received last year. :)

Edit: It seems appropriate to add this here... On Tuesday, September 27th, the first of a 7-part autoimmunity docuseries will be available for viewing. It's free. To learn more, go to www.betrayalseries.com It's titled, Betrayal. It includes 70+ interviews with experts and patients from around the world, a project of Tom O'Bryan, host of The Gluten Summit, and the producer of The Truth About Cancer series. It serves as a good introduction to how functional and integrative medicine is used to treat chronic diseases. I believe the remaining episodes will be shown in sequence over the following 6 days. Tonight I learned that one of the experts is restoring beta cell function in type 1 diabetics. I'd heard about this previously. It's exciting.

Update: Just got the email. The 7-part autoimmunity docuseries, Betrayal, with Tom O'Bryan begins at 9 p.m. EST, 6 p.m. PST tonight (10/27/16). It's free during the screening period. Each part will be available to view for 24 hours. To learn more and to register, click on the link above.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A healthy balanced diet and moderate exercise is the key, I believe, to good living. When people make the switch to Organic or Glutten-Free, let's say, they also then become more mindful of what they are eating and attempt an over all more healthy life style. Are GMOs a problem? Maybe, I am not a scientist. But Causation v. Corrilation as they say.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I agree HeathenHeart. If you add to your advice consuming adequate amounts of water and fiber throughout the day, our body may be able to eliminate and prevent re-absorption of the heavy metals and persistant organic pollutants we're consuming in our food. This appears to be true for some people at least.

For those who choose to not eat organic, they can reduce their toxic load by eating some organic foods. These two lists, the Dirty Dozen" - ( https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty_dozen_list.php ) - and the "Clean Fifteen" - ( https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean_fifteen_list.php ) - are helpful. There also is a wallet sized guide that you can carry with you here, but you'd have to register to download and print it... http://action.ewg.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=5966&_ga=1.226562845.1699258439.1474998735

Why are more people today becoming ill?

One problem is that there has been a four fold increase in gluten sensitivity since the 1950's which leads to autoimmune diseases. So for those people, I'd also add eliminating all sources of gluten including wheat, rye, barley, (and oats due to cross contamination unless they are certified gluten free) from the diet.

Who should learn more about and be evaluated for celiac disease and/or non celiac gluten sensitivity? Anyone with chronic debilitating symptoms who live a healthy lifestyle and do not respond to traditional medical treatments. There are more than 300 symptoms of gluten sensitivity.

Another big change in our diet in the last 100 years is the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA). A ratio of 1 is optimal, but for those eating the Western diet, the ratio is thought to be 15/1 - 16.7/1 which promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects. Learn more here by reading this brief abstract... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

When the government began strongly promoting the low fat diet in the 1980's, restaurants and people at home switched to using vegetable oils high in omega-6 fatty acids, and the food industry eventually switched to using transfats because they're so shelf stable.

Today, those recommendations are changing. For improved ratios, many, particularly those in the Paleo and Low Carb communities have stopped using vegetable oils - (corn, saffola, canola, peanut, soybean, cottonseed, sunflower) - and have returned to using butter, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil, (and for those who are not vegetarian, traditional animal fats).

I think you'll agree that a diet of whole foods as opposed to highly refined, processed foods is desired.

Interestingly, many of us do better on a low carbohydrate, high (healthy) fat diet, particularly those with insulin resistance - (type 2 and 1 diabetes, pre-diabetes) - and some do better on a low fat, high carbohydrate, whole foods, plant based diet, particularly those who are insulin sensitive - (in other words, not insulin resistant or diabetic). Also, the ratio of cooked to raw vegetables vary from person to person.

One way to know if the diet we're eating is right for us is by monitoring our health markers through lab tests. When I changed my diet last year, all of my lab results changed dramatically over a nine month period, and are now in the normal or just above normal range: Triglyceride/HDL ratio, A1c, and hsCRP.

I think what surprised me the most this past year was learning that insulin resistance and carbohydrates - (refined starches and sugars) - not healthy fats, drive cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity in most people. Though I should add here that obesity does not cause diabetes, the research clearly shows that insulin resistance precedes weight gain, not the other way around. Also not well known is that some people with type 2 diabetes are of normal weight, and that they have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease which leads to diabetes.

My understanding is that 4.5 out of 10 of Americans are now diabetic or pre-diabetic, and 50 million Americans now have autoimmune disease. Drugs are not going to fix this problem, only lifestyle changes will.

The reason I started an education, support, and walking diabetes group in my community is to help people find the diet that improves and normalizes their health markers because I didn't know most of the above information prior to last year, and I suspect I'm not alone. People need this information so they can begin making healthier choices to improve and maintain health.

Update:

I'm watching Part 1 of the docuseries Betrayal a second time now. This is going to be a good series on autoimmunity and how to treat it.

Part 2 starts Wednesday evening. Part 1 will continue to be available until Part 2 starts. Here's the link for Part 1... https://u3421789.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=iGHx6XS7bqFrOQ1-2B4SlyuhIIRUSO-2BZhEJcf6dRdhx0u1NwmX3H5BIBumvwFqjU2IvBFCMujbukE66qOTPhWopQyWlIVPk3Xj2lnAsGakzsDadFUxe0Y8iMAGpqA4oiGqqtzlf3O34j7iuZuAjcCEMLEeHwtREKn-2FLftxNwB6ifRU60RbesIhySXGeh3rtBcubYcubG-2BkpNliZfSXVI6X6tJJCUGAChLoQW-2BaJrnCkCk-3D_CAiSvDS1p4EUfis-2Bsa42sTXh4WWjBYxs2FhRbe4MndjPolAAw76u-2FE4O9FJp7S3sFqARRFW7tZhE2RFUGyd62HzI3fkZoKZsfWMYeMdLZchJmlj3vL1kbroZg57BXpDSejz8gp-2FDREu0M1eb2RdB4y5nF3AVREyuVknLramad7QgKYE4eURNZuIM0fmMmdETYFTohNbO5qEuGFp6-2Flra-2Fw-3D-3D If you know anyone with an autoimmune disease, share this information with them. It's free, but again, each part is only available to view for 24 hours. To see the remaining 6 parts of the docuseries, register at www. betrayalseries.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts