Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of us like to make props that are based on creatures, or characters, or scenes from movies and television shows, and we make them because we liked the look of them, or the storyline, or the acting in the show, but we often forget there are folks just like us who design and make the props that we're copying. And just as we all like to hear compliments and positive feed back from people who like our props, the folks who make the originals like to get that feedback as well. Actors are always getting fan mail, but how often do you think make-up and effects folks get any? I would like to suggest that everyone who makes props based on movies and TV to take a little time, find out who the designers or fabricators are, and look around to see if you can find an email address or locate them on Facebook and send them a message, and compliment them on their work and share some pictures of your work.

I first did this when I bought a hat and mask for our Jeepers Creepers Creeper from Brian Penikas's shop out in California, and on a whim I sent him some pictures of the finished prop. I was pleasantly surprised to not only get a very enthusiastic reply from him, filled with compliments about how well the prop turned out, but also a request to send the pics I sent to the director of the film for use in a pitch he was making for funding for the next film in the series.

When we were making our Dog Soldiers werewolf, I didn't understand why there was grey on the wolf's head but the body was all brown. I found out a gentleman named David Bonneywell had designed the wolves, made the suits, and did the make-up, and I found him on Facebook. I sent him a message asking why they had used grey on the head but not the body. He sent me a very nice message back, and explained their budget limited them to making only two suits, but they had five heads for the different wolves (one black, two grey, and two brown), so they had to pick a body color that would compliment all three head colors. This was a great bit of background information that I had never heard before. When our prop was done, I sent him some pictures and he immediately wrote me back and said "Your werewolf looks fantastic…you've done yourself (and the movie) proud!" Think reading that from the guy who created these monsters made me happy? You better believe it!

So if you get a chance to thank the folks who's work we're paying tribute to, you should definitely take the opportunity to thank them, express your appreciation and respect for their work, and let them know what an influence they are to us. And you'll likely find that they appreciate you taking the time to reach out to them and they'll let you know how much they like your work. It's a win win. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
wow you were right! Brian wrote back to me! how neat!! (Twice! I had to correct myself and point out my husband made that fabulous tombstone!) You don't ever think they will respond, so you don't bother. But it is worth the effort, even if they don't respond. they deserve the accolades!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian is a pretty awesome guy to deal with. I told him what I was planning to do with the hat and mask, and he sent me a bunch of behind the scenes and design shots of the costume that I was able to use when making my figure. He also sent me a handout he makes for people who want to make a costume using off-the-shelf costumes and mashing them together. All of that was very helpful to make our Creeper.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,890 Posts
Brian is a pretty awesome guy to deal with. I told him what I was planning to do with the hat and mask, and he sent me a bunch of behind the scenes and design shots of the costume that I was able to use when making my figure. He also sent me a handout he makes for people who want to make a costume using off-the-shelf costumes and mashing them together. All of that was very helpful to make our Creeper.
I agree about Penikas, on your recommendation, I bought the economy mask and he also sent me the tips and he even autographed the tag on the mask and also autographed a replica of the magazine but I never thought of sending a pic of my Creeper. I think I will hopefully he doesn't think I'm a spammer or thinks my email is a virus

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never thought to do that and I do love their work. I will nake sure to do that with pics of my completed props. Great pointers for us all. Thank you! And I'd love to give them the kudos they deserve!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts