Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup Sunday and within an hour of me coming inside my display was turned off. Someone had unplugged my main power plug that attaches to my photo-sensor plug. I know it didn't slip out of the plug because it takes some muscle to unplug/plug it.

I replug it and let it run till morning and turned it off around 9am and went to work. When I came home Monday night I turned everything back on around 9pm and everything was still on as of 1am in the morning.

I get up around 2pm today and looked outside, my display was off again. I asked my BF if he did it and he didnt touch it. So out I go again to look.

After investigating, someone had turned the next 2 plugs after the main power plug into the "off" position. (the multi-outlet type).

I dont know what to do, using a motion light wont deter them because my house is pretty well lit with the display (I had alot of floods).

I want to use some kind of noise deterrent since I cant booby-trap with fishing line along the porch where the cords are.
What do to?

·
Crypto Hunter
1,395 Posts
Can you purchase or borrow a Game/Trail Camera? My neighbor has one to capture the comings and goings in her yard. It mostly does all the picture taking at night and does a great job too
There are many sales on them right now due to hunting season

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can you purchase or borrow a Game/Trail Camera? My neighbor has one to capture the comings and goings in her yard. It mostly does all the picture taking at night and does a great job too
This is what we put out front. Motion activated deer camera, hid in a bush pointed out into the front yard. With a 32 gig memory card in it. Take out and erase as storage starts to get full. Cheep and works well.

Kityvibe, good luck! Hope you catch whoever is messing with your display.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would start with printing some signs on standard 8 1/2 x 11 Xerox paper with the following. WARNING SECURITY CAMERAS IN USE. I personally use these as a deterrent and tape the signs to my fence. I also employ other measures but honestly believe they will work plus its dirt cheap. I recommend that you use the largest font in order to fill the page up.

Good luck

Craig

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cheapest game camera thingy was $60 and Im so broke after my Halloween buys. :(

I was thinking of making some sort of sign, but I have no plants or fences to hang them onto and it would probably need to be in spanish since the culprit could be one of the 2 new neighbors that are renting the houses on my left and right of me. I dont want to accuse anyone prematurely, but they are the only new additions this year.

edit- Im sure its absolutely someone who is bothered by the display, it would have to be someone who hates Halloween. And it must be an adult because its just shutting everything down and nothing damaged yet. (depends on how self righteous they get I suppose.)

The lights arent in anyones house, it has to be due to their beliefs.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
The cheapest game camera thingy was $60 and Im so broke after my Halloween buys. :(

I was thinking of making some sort of sign, but I have no plants or fences to hang them onto and it would probably need to be in spanish since the culprit could be one of the 2 new neighbors that are renting the houses on my left and right of me. I dont want to accuse anyone prematurely, but they are the only new additions this year.

edit- Im sure its absolutely someone who is bothered by the display, it would have to be someone who hates Halloween. And it must be an adult because its just shutting everything down and nothing damaged yet. (depends on how self righteous they get I suppose.)

The lights arent in anyones house, it has to be due to their beliefs.
There was that Christmas movie with Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito where the neighbor tried to kill the power because the lights were too bright.

·
Registered
255 Posts
my house is pretty well lit with the display (I had alot of floods)
And are any of them lighting up a neighbor's bedroom window? Do you have sound running all night (scary music/moans/groans/cackling witches)?
Seems someone is sending a message...you might want to talk to your neighbors and see if they saw anything and ask if your display is bothering them running all night...

Harbor Freight has fake security cameras (1 for $8)...make sure your neighbors see you putting them up!
or get real cameras and figure out who's doing it before they start destroying your stuff. The dvr systems are very easy to do. The $34 Harbor Freight camera isn't bad (others suck). Or Walmart has 4 Q-See camera for $80.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was that Christmas movie with Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito where the neighbor tried to kill the power because the lights were too bright.
lol, my lighting isnt anywhere near that bright, Ill get a pic later tonight. I actually am using way less lights than normal, and colors that dont throw much light to begin with, like purples.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And are any of them lighting up a neighbor's bedroom window?
No, there are no windows like that, all light is on my property, as it should be, When neighbors floods come on in my backyard it lights up my living room, so I know how annoying that can be.

Do you have sound running all night (scary music/moans/groans/cackling witches)?
Nope, no sound

Seems someone is sending a message...you might want to talk to your neighbors and see if they saw anything and ask if your display is bothering them running all night...
I asked one today and they said they didnt see anything but will look out, they love looking at my display (her words). Also, I dont usually run my display past midnight, gotta respect the witching hour :) But I have been wanting to test to see who the culprit is.

Harbor Freight has fake security cameras (1 for $8)...make sure your neighbors see you putting them up!
or get real cameras and figure out who's doing it before they start destroying your stuff. The dvr systems are very easy to do. The $34 Harbor Freight camera isn't bad (others suck). Or Walmart has 4 Q-See camera for $80.
I was thinking of the fake one with a sign but am not sure if the culprit can read English.I am worried they might devolve to slashing my stuff up.Do you have a link to the $34 HF camera? I saw a nice one at WM for $60 but its a bit pricey.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
Can you put them on timers so they'd only be on from dusk until 11 or 12PM? Maybe it would bother them less if it weren't on all night even though it's not lighting up their house.

Nevermind, I just backread & you already do that.

I'd go with the camera idea then.

Here's the page at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=security+camera

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
My first thought reading your initial post, and even after reading the thread, is that because the lights are just being turned off and nothing else disturbed is that someone objects to the lights being on past a certain hour. While they might feel it's too early in the season to be doing a halloween display (I know xmas displays run weeks before and after the holiday too), by turning them off in the cover of night they think you'll get the message without having to tell you in person, but I think it's the light pollution issue even though you don't think it's bright. JMO.

Here's my frustrating situation where I live and how I've chosen to deal with it. I have a neighbor behind me who almost always manually turns his back porch lights on overnight sending light polution inside every window on the back of our house including our bedroom. I suspect this is a 20-40 watt bulb but still noticable at night. Then a different neighbor, this one on our side, sometimes forgets to turn off their side garage walkway light when they turn it on. That fixture sends light into our side master bedroom windows. Again not that bright but it does light up our room. I swear I'm not your neighbor! However I'd try setting the timer to go off around 9pm for a few nights and see what happens. The neighborly thing to do would be to say something to you if it's disturbing them, but I know in my case I don't want to approach my backyard neighbor who I don't know well and hubby doesn't want to appear complaining (I have thought about turning our porch lights on for a few night though to shine in their bedroom to see if they get the message but they'd probably wouldn't connect the two). Instead I ended up adding darkening panels to our bedroom drapes in the back begrudingly instead of asking them why they need to waste electricty in their backyard at night, and we've planted a bamboo hedge that should cut down some of the light pollution to our first floor family room in the evening when we're try to watch TV there. I have called my side neighbor we're friendly with a few times when it's happened on their end and they've always apologized and turned them off the next day. Otherwise if I don't call it will be on for days. In their case they just forget and unless they are out at night on that side of the house they don't notice the lights on. We're good friends with them but I have to say I really hate to have to make that phone call. It must really bother them if they would go into your yard and change the setting. As aggrevated as I get about our situation I couldn't ever see doing that. Good way to get yourself in trouble lurking in the dark outside someone's house. It feel strongly that it's probably someone you don't really know well resetting your timer. Before I would spend the money on a camera, I would approach all the neighbors in a friendly way and ask if the lights are causing them any problems you might not be aware of. If you do catch them on camera, you still have to go and approach them anyway and maybe say that you know it was them because you video taped them in the act. That would be even more uncomfortable I think knowing you have turned to spying on a neighbor sort of.

I'm glad nothing is being vandalized and hope it stays that way.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
If you have a Bass Pro Shop nearby, they sometimes advertise those game cameras on sale.

I think that was called "Deck the Halls".

Yea, I was going to mention the Harbor Freight cameras. That's the best solution, I think.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
One thing to watch for on the security cameras: make certain they have the style of connectors that you can use. The RCA stye jacks are the kind found on most VCR's, DVR's and televisions. The BNC connectors are not as common, and usually are found on the more specialized equipment (like a multi-camera hub for a security system).
Also, check to see if the camera's going to need an outside power source of some form.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,849 Posts
It has to be a nearby neighbor simply from the frequency this is happening. People are lazy in general and wouldn't make so many trips to shut off your stuff unless it was convenient for them. Maybe just keep your lights on until 9 or 10 p.m. until the week before the holiday.

I would say, leave a pleasant note at your outlet box asking the person why they keep doing this (along with extra paper and pen), but the last thing you want is some crazy rant from someone.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Keep your spirits up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am very nice to my neighbors, but this summer, one of them came into our yard and sprayed wasp and bee killing spray on all our hummingbird feeders.

We keep the feeders clean, and they are gorgeous with the little birds feeding on sugar water.

I have zero idea why someone would do that. It is quite confusing when you are happily enjoying life and someone who lives around you starts getting weird.

I hope this doesn't affect your halloween fun too much. It is bad when instead of talking to you, somebody has to be all passive aggressive.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.