Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I know I haven't been very vocal on the thread lately, but I've still been building. I have completed my rebuild of the original tower and have moved on to the new crown -- THE BIG TOWER.

Picture 1: This is the first panel of the tower. I built the frame and then took a section onto the porch roof to see how it would look.

Picture 2: This is the base structure for the tower. I had to build it at the angle so that when it rests on the porch roof, it will stand straight. I still need to paint the interior of the tower and put on the window trim. I have also built cages into each corner that will hold one gallon milk jugs filled with water. This should help to keep the tower base stable and sturdy. The base of the tower is made from 3/4" styrofoam sheets. I will be painting the interior a dark grey and will paint on "siding" lines so the exterior of the tower blends more with the house.

Picture 3: This is the framework for the big tower roof. It is a larger version of the Cider Hut roof with dormers on three sides. This roof is 8 feet wide and 7 feet tall! Its a monster.

Picture 4: This is the big tower roof last night with my daughter standing next to it. She is 5'3" -- just to give you an idea of the tower roof's size. I had two pieces of styrofoam with reflective siler backing, so I put those on the solid, rear inside wall of the tower. I'm hoping the reflective nature of the silver backing will help with the flash lightning effect. The roof is skinned in 1/2" styrofoam sheets. The dormer roofs are 3/4" stryrofoam left over from the windows on the tower base.

Picture 5: This is the tower roof this morning. I went around with the chaulking gun and seeled up the corners and peaks of the dormers. Now I need to let that all dry and I can start painting. My plan is to paint a dark interior and then do the blue shake shingle paint job on the outside so it matches the cider hut.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,519 Posts
oh wow. Just wow. :cool:

Can't WAIT to see how you get the finishes and stuff on there... it will look AMAZING! :D

·
Registered
14,283 Posts
I'm floored! I remember seeing a pic of your house before and reading about your plans. Man this is quite something and quite a project to pull together. How are you going to get it up on the roof? Even with just wood framing and foam board it's got to have some weight to it. Man it will look cool when you are done.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm floored! I remember seeing a pic of your house before and reading about your plans. Man this is quite something and quite a project to pull together. How are you going to get it up on the roof? Even with just wood framing and foam board it's got to have some weight to it. Man it will look cool when you are done.
Excellent question. Each side is a seperate piece. The roof comes apart into 4 pieces, and the tower base comes apart into 4 pieces. Should be no trouble to lift each piece onto the roof and then reassemble.

I know I will still need at least one friend to help, but it's definitely manageable. I can still lift and move the roof section by myself (it's that light) -- just big.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
I knew you were probably up to something 'cause I hadn't seen you on here on a while. Well, this explains it. I don't think it' too big:) I can't wait to see it finished. What's going to be inside? Very nice work as usual!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks great! Wish we could add something like this to our house. I love the idea of a full house make over for halloween.

On an off topic note. Were going to be painting our house and have been having trouble picking a color but I really really like the color of your house. Happen to remember what the color was and what brand?

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I knew you were probably up to something 'cause I hadn't seen you on here on a while. Well, this explains it. I don't think it' too big:) I can't wait to see it finished. What's going to be inside? Very nice work as usual!
I'm hoping to rig up a lightning effect so the tower with flash and rattle. I will also have some bluckies doing stuff on the roof.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great! Wish we could add something like this to our house. I love the idea of a full house make over for halloween.

On an off topic note. Were going to be painting our house and have been having trouble picking a color but I really really like the color of your house. Happen to remember what the color was and what brand?
This green is my favorite color and I love the name!!

Home Depot, Behr Exterior Flat, "Happy Camper" Green 430D-6

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know I posted this before (somewhere else) but this is what I'm hoping my house will look like on Halloween.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts