Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...so, I stopped in my local Goodwill today. I saw a fairly realistic plastic/rubber bat decoration for .99...then another, then another...as I searched, I found six in total. I carry them all to the front of the store and dump them in a pile on the counter in front of the cashier, who then starts to get a little freaked out. Mumbling high pitched random exclamations, she won't touch the bats, lol. Another associate has to come over and bag them. I start talking to the second associate, while the first continues to quietly freak out and ring them up, and we talk about how realistic they look over other dollar bats (more quiet exclamations and eews from first cashier) and I say how cute they are. First cashier says something along the lines of an exasperated and incredulous, "No, they are not!" Second cashier and I both continue to laugh at first cashier. I pull out my card and hand it to first cashier, she then freaks because I am wearing a spider ring. She says she won't look at it. I go, oh, I am wearing a bat necklace, too! I hold up my little bat necklace proudly for her to see. (...all the while, I am quite amused and still laughing, so is second cashier.) First cashier backs a bit away from me more, still exclaiming that she won't/can't look at me. She says, "Oh, I bet you dress like that for more than just October, too, don't you?" Hahaha! I devilishly tell her, "Maybe..." then I quietly laugh as she carries on a bit more. To make her feel a bit less scared of me, I proceed to tell her I actually love all holidays. She then exclaims, matter of factly, that Halloween is NOT a holiday...even though SOME people around here seem to think it is and make it so. This makes me laugh, roll my eyes and say happily, "of COURSE it is!" with a big ol' crazy smile. (Second cashier is still finding the whole exchange amusing, but keeps quiet, lol.) At this point, I can tell she is one of those people who greatly disapproves of Halloween...I felt the urge to combat her on the topic, but I bit my tongue and smiled. She would never listen, anyway. When the transaction was over, she politely said her usual have a good day, and I reciprocated overly happily and in the friendliest tone possible. Ahhh...it was a good laugh. Some people just make me shake my head sometimes...

Here are the culprits...aren't they just evil and terrifying?!? Hahahaha! :rolleyes:

20141020_140530 (500x294).jpg

20141020_140621 (500x281).jpg

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Nice find. I need to hit our Goodwill this week to look for pants and shoes for a zombie kit we are finishing. I never find anything cool there. The last time I went I only ended up with a stained tie and a pair of pants with a comb in the back pocket. THAT is scary!

They looked great on our zombie though! ;)

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to think she was just joking around with me, at first...but they way she acted, she seemed like she really just didn't like the bats, my plastic spider ring, bat necklace...or anything to do with Halloween, in general. Lol. Who knows...maybe she really was just messing with me...but I doubt it. I wonder how she would have reacted had I brought up skulls or something to the counter, lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
She'd hate Tucson, Arizona. My parents have this great bridge near them where you can observe the bats taking flight into the sundown. There are a bunch and it is so exciting. My girls love watching for them. You can even see them from the front yard just wonkily flying in the sky as the sun sets.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy, somebody did a number on that cashier. Poor thing, I wonder what she would have done had you been wearing a pentagram?
Too bad the bill didn't ring up to $6.66...
Actually, I do carry a pentagram (pentacle) on my key chain for protection, lol...good thing she didn't see it! Then I'd probably have to have an argument with her about it not being a sign of the devil.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She'd hate Tucson, Arizona. My parents have this great bridge near them where you can observe the bats taking flight into the sundown. There are a bunch and it is so exciting. My girls love watching for them. You can even see them from the front yard just wonkily flying in the sky as the sun sets.
That would be awesome! I love bats...so darn cute!! I see them flying around here and there, but to see a bunch in one place would be great!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although I could tell she didn't like all of my awesome Halloween items (whether it was because she didn't like Halloween, or she is just scared of bats/spiders...I'm not sure which was the case...) she was, at least, fairly nice to me still. That's why I can laugh about it.
Now, had she been mean to me about it, I would've been more angry than amused.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,580 Posts
thats such a funny story witchykitty, the bats are adorable :) In Home Depot yesterday and nothing was on sale but they still had a fair amount out, despite the HD down the road who is sold out of all Halloween (they said it went to ultra clearance).

I was checking out a skeleton that would shake then he stopped working, a cashier for self checkout was nearby and was looking at me funny. I mentioned the skeleton stopped working on me and she said, "GOOD!" I hate those things. Then made a sour face and shook her head. This person looked to be in her lid 20's, maybe younger.

Like you, witchykitty, I just shook my head and rolled my eyes at her. I cant recall what I said on the way out but it was something like "Thats too sad, Happy Halloween". lol

oh and about things ringing up $6.66, as a cashier i take advantage of that in the good ol south here and upsell to get them out of the $6.66 total.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Had a similar experience with trying to purchase a leopard spider at Michaels last year. Sales Associate would not touch it and tried to put as much room between her and the spider as she could. I just don't get it. Today I picked up a tiny baby brown snake in the parking lot that got lost and was trying to find it's way back to grass, wouldn't anyone do that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts