Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working pretty much every evening on stuff for the haunted house for this year. Essentially the students here come up with a them they like, then I end up doing most of the design and implementation, but I don't mind, I rather enjoy it! Here are some of the more recent things I've been working on.

Rotisserie w/head (there is a giant grill outside of the house we're using, this will just sit on top of it and the wood will be painted black to blend in, smoke machine of course will be placed under it and some red flashing christmas lights)

Power box for my electric chair. I am still mixing the sound until I get something that I like, I will then program the red light, etc. to the picoboo. Also beneath the light is the plastic bat with spike that I made. I really liked the ones that I've seen on the market, but with a price tag of anywhere from $50-150 bucks it is just way out of my range. Instead I took a wiffle ball bat, some electric tape, and some glue sticks and made the bat that you see here. The spikes are made from gluesticks and are very flexible so they should be pretty safe (I dulled the end down too). Also you can see that I sprayed some great stuff foam inside of the bat to add a little weight and also to 'hold' the glue sticks a little better, even though they are in there pretty tight.

Creepy Zombie baby and babyface mask. The students really wanted a baby doll room, I personally didnt find baby dolls all that creepy, but hey I'll figure out how to make it work. I made a contest out of it and gave everyone in our organization a dollar tree baby doll, told them to make it as creepy/gross as possible and return them to me next week, should make some interesting results. The one in this picture is the one that I did in about an hour. The mask was made from a few different components and I fashioned it from a mask in the movie "The Hills Run Red", I saw the mask in a Fangoria I think.

Saw Beartrap and medical tray with teeth/eyes. I decided to make a SAW beartrap helmet thing for someone to wear, the SAW room we used last year was a big hit so I figured to expand on it, the helmet is made out of cardboard almost entirely, the small bits on the edges are just some bottle caps and stuff that I had around, and I added an actual lock on the right side. The medical tray is something that I need to work on a little more, I plan on grunging it up some more. The eyes were made from ping pong balls with some great stuff foam sprayed behind to look like nerves/muscle. The teeth are just sculpey. The 'scalpel' is a plastic knife, and the pliers were bought at the dollar tree. Everything on the tray is hot glued to it with the exception of the teeth, I mixed some dark red and brown acrylics to make the 'blood' and then poured and dripped it onto the tray. I then took the teeth and just scattered them into the paint and let the paint dry for a couple of days, the paint holds the teeth in like glue so it is perfect.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation on each one, but I like to get ideas and share ideas. Our haunted house this year is called King's Asylum (King is the name of the mascot here), essentially the set up will be a lot of Asylum related stuff to include of course cells for the patients. We will also have a Rec Room, Cafeteria, Medicine counter, Electroshock lab, and others. The cells will be different themed rooms that will have some cots and such in them to look more like a hospital. One of the coolest things we are doing this year is a bed frame with a hollowed out mattress, the actor will lay down in the cavity of the mattress and cover with a sheet, the path will force the students to walk relatively close to the bed. My thought is to make this a Freddy Krueger themed room and have Krueger come up out of the bed, should make for an effective scare. Leave some feedback, thanks for all the info you guys put on these boards, I only hope to give back!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice work there, it's amazing! The Saw mask and HRR baby face mask are terrific.

How did you make the HRR mask base? Papermache?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the compliments from everyone!

The jaw of the mask was from a styrofoam skull that I bought at Michaels, I just cut the jaw from the skull and had to expand it and do some work to make it fit onto the mask correctly. I cracked it in the back to expand it and then used hot glue to fill in the gaps. I then cut the foam teeth from the jaw and made some sculpey teeth. The funny thing was that I had some 'pearl' sculpey that I used for the teeth and accidentally burned them which gave them the rotted look. I took some latex and other random things to weather the jaw some more and make it look the way it does, it was pretty simple though.

As for the box I used for the electric chair I picked it up at a local thrift store. It is a GE main breaker switch of some sort (i'll drop the actual model # on herewhen I go home). It was $15 at the thrift store, which means it probably is kind of pricey at its normal going rate, but I dont know. I also couldn't find anything similar at lowes or home depot and just happened upon this and had to get it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey i posted this in another thread, years ago i made an electric chair and could never get the sound i wanted. I screwed two guitar pick ups to a big flimsy piece of sheet metal powered the pick ups to an amp and when you would bang your feet on the sheet metal it made the perfect Electric chair sound. Dont know if this will help you but it works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts