Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding a few new grave markers to our cemetery this year. Got three sheets of foam in varying thicknesses. Foam was cut, epitaphs were printed and routed out using a dremel. I'm in the process of making the base boxes for two of the smaller stones. The largest will be about 5 ft tall when done and I'll post pics of that once I start on it. Here's the progress so far on the smaller ones.
The cut foam. Each pile is a stone. The papers are just the cut lists for each

mock ups of the stones

epitaphs routed out. The foam panels are held together using nails until the adhesive dries. works very well.

Boxes glued

Should finish the gluing of the small markers tomorrow and can then start the aging and finishing.
Will post more pics as progress is made

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of those look terrific! I wish I could motivate myself to make some more tombstones. Or better yet, some grave markers like you made.

Great work!
Thanks Dave. The motivation was the hard part this time around. Once I got to assembling them and routing out the epitaphs it got to be fun again.

Can' t wait to see them finished Really nice. Did you make the standing figure?
Thanks! They should turn out pretty neat. I bought the Pleurant statue from Design Toscano a few years ago. It works well for a cemetery setting.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have the most amazing graveyard. I love your stones!!
Thank you for sharing.
Thanks Angel. The graveyard has grown over the years and will make a big comeback this year. We didn't have it last year due to the different theme, but it will play nicely into this year's ideas!

Wow you are off to s a great start, can't wait to see the final photos!
Thanks! I'll be posting more pics.

Yes, awesome start! Your cemetery is a wonderful inspiration in stone diversity, as well
as adding height & dimension. Thank you for sharing~looking forward to seeing the finished
products! :D
Thank you! We try to have a nice mix of flat stones and dimensional markers/monuments of different heights. It does lend interest to the scene. I'm anxious to see how it comes out this year too!.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love your stones! What did you use to cut the foam? Your lines look so clean.
I rough cut each piece a bit larger than the desired dimensions, then use a table saw for the finish cutting. Gives a nice straight edge, really helpful when gluing them together!!

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:) I love the Jacob Taft stone! It's awesome! Did you get the statue from Toscano? I've seen one like that there....I really want to get one like that. Do you attach the statue, or just sit it on top?:)

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,004 Posts
How do yall crank out a bunch of stones, then just toss them aside to finish later? lol I HAVE to finish one before I start another. I have to agonize over the epitaph, tombstone shape, color, font, and other minor details for hours, then dive in and keep plowing ahead till finished. I can't imagine pre-carving epitaphs, then coming back later to make the finished stone. lol

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great! What type of glue do you use? Will you fill in the nail holes or monster mud over the top in the next stage? I'd like to try this!
Thanks! I always use Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction adhesive. It has never failed me! The nail holes and joints will be filled with wood putty or joint compound, then sanded. After that, I'll rough them up a bit, add some chips, cracks, etc, then paint. They're fun to do and not really that difficult.

:) I love the Jacob Taft stone! It's awesome! Did you get the statue from Toscano? I've seen one like that there....I really want to get one like that. Do you attach the statue, or just sit it on top?:)
Yup! The Pleurant statue is from Toscano. Perfect for a grave marker. I just set the statues on top. Makes for easier moving/storage.

How do yall crank out a bunch of stones, then just toss them aside to finish later? lol I HAVE to finish one before I start another. I have to agonize over the epitaph, tombstone shape, color, font, and other minor details for hours, then dive in and keep plowing ahead till finished. I can't imagine pre-carving epitaphs, then coming back later to make the finished stone. lol
LOL! I think the more unfinished pieces I have laying around, the more motivated I am to complete them! I wanted to get the smaller two done first then will move onto the large monument, hopefully by next week. I've got foam everywhere and Mrs. Dubbya is after me to get things cleaned up. I kind of do them in stages then I can come back fresh and pick up where I left off!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I love teasing you about your "I am going to start scaling back" comments from a couple of years ago. I cannot believe how early you are starting this year. Working with LewLew has certainly added jet fuel to your Halloween fire. I assume the cemetery is going back in the front yard this year.

I really hope that you find a way place an actor in the cemetery set-up. Having carnival activity last year in the front seemed to add another layer to your haunt experience. It was like an appetizer to the drive way main course.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks great!! I need to build some myself and get an electric dremel..... very inspiring!!
Thanks! I had sold of a few stones to another haunter who liked the designs, thinking I had enough to spare. Well, I do, but...! It gave me an excuse to make some new ones and come up with a couple new designs.

I love teasing you about your "I am going to start scaling back" comments from a couple of years ago. I cannot believe how early you are starting this year. Working with LewLew has certainly added jet fuel to your Halloween fire. I assume the cemetery is going back in the front yard this year.

I really hope that you find a way place an actor in the cemetery set-up. Having carnival activity last year in the front seemed to add another layer to your haunt experience. It was like an appetizer to the drive way main course.
Tease away my friend! lol! I truly did have intentions of scaling back and while that's definitely in the plan for the next few years, right now we're having too much fun with the expansion. Yes, lewlew coming on board really rekindled the haunt fire and I couldn't be happier. We have a lot of projects for this year so starting now is a must. Mark is working on large foam blocks that will be the entrance hall to the crypt. We have the floor plan mapped out. I've been collecting skulls, some masks and costumes and have made about 30 pvc candle clusters. It seems early but we all know the time will fly. We definitely plan to have an interactive element in the graveyard this year. We're actually planning two cemeteries; the main on in the front yard space and a smaller one as part of the walk through scene in the back portion of our driveway. The footprint has been expanded again for this year to make it deeper and allow for a few more scenes we wanted to incorporate. Suffice it to say that the detail in some of the rooms is going to be insane, much like lewlew and myself!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The two small markers are glued and now ready for sanding, aging (chips, cracks,etc) and paint. All of the edges will be sanded, and I'll use a heat gun, small saw and a soldering iron to add some character. The taller one is 39" and the child stone is 22.

My chief critic at work

All seams and nail holes will now be filled/coated with wood filler, then sanded smooth

The bottom section and top cap of the tall monument. It will be over 5 ft tall when done. Still have the top box to assemble

1 - 20 of 24 Posts