Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, First time posting. Simple front lawn decorator here and I need a little help sorting out how best to accomplish my goals here. I have 3 animatronic props that all use fog: a storm cellar prop from Spirit, a gaseous fogging zombie groundbreaker, and an 8' scorched scarecrow. Under ideal conditions, I'll have the stalker and the cellar props just sort of constantly lightly billowing fog and the groundbreaker will release periodic jets of fog. Currently my only fog machine is the 400w one that came with the scarecrow.

I'd like low lying fog as I'm not trying to just create a cloud so thick you can't see the rest of my decorations and I'm not trying to drop a ton of money on this either. I'd like to be in and out for under $150, tops.

My current thought is to get 2 more 400 watt machines and set them up with timers so I can control fog density. I could even put Froggy's QuikBlast in the Zombie since that doesn't hang around long and use BogFog in the other props. The only sacrifice there would be the low-lying fog since I understand low-watt machines can't handle the good Froggy's Bog Fog or similar high density fog juices.

Is there a better way wherein I get a higher wattage machine and run it to 2-3 props? Is there an inexpensive option that has a constant low-billowing effect? Other thoughts, feelings, concerns? What am I missing?

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
The Cheapest solution of low-lying fog is a fog chiller. I have several I've built from coolers, custom foam boxes and a 5 gallon bucket.. My favorite it the Bucket chiller, I've seen it made with a kitty litter bucket, I use and actual 5 gallon bucket with lid. Don't skimp on the Ice! I make a costco run on Halloween and come home with 4 large bags. When putting the holes in the sides, just put them high enough that you have a few inches at the bottom to hold the water as it melts if necessary. There are lots of Chiller threads here on the forum.

Another thing I use to spread the fog is congregated perforated drain pipe. Available at any Hardware store. Mine came from Menards, starts out at about 3' long, but stretches out about 15'. Great for getting a more even distribution over an area rather than one big cloud.

If you are looking just to pipe it to props, pickup some 1-2" pool hoses, you might even get them on clearance this time of year. some even come in black, if not, just spray-paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Cheapest solution of low-lying fog is a fog chiller. I have several I've built from coolers, custom foam boxes and a 5 gallon bucket.. My favorite it the Bucket chiller, I've seen it made with a kitty litter bucket, I use and actual 5 gallon bucket with lid. Don't skimp on the Ice! I make a costco run on Halloween and come home with 4 large bags. When putting the holes in the sides, just put them high enough that you have a few inches at the bottom to hold the water as it melts if necessary. There are lots of Chiller threads here on the forum.

Another thing I use to spread the fog is congregated perforated drain pipe. Available at any Hardware store. Mine came from Menards, starts out at about 3' long, but stretches out about 15'. Great for getting a more even distribution over an area rather than one big cloud.

If you are looking just to pipe it to props, pickup some 1-2" pool hoses, you might even get them on clearance this time of year. some even come in black, if not, just spray-paint.

Thanks for the insights. I’m a little apprehensive to doing a fog chiller as it’s one more thing to build and store, but I may do one given the reviews of how easy and effective it is.

I don’t really have a need to run the fog any distance from the machine to the props, unless I decide to put two or more props on a single machine. Good tip on the pool hoses, though.

I guess the underlying questions for my original post are: is there a best fogger/juice combo for low lying fog that doesn’t involve a chiller? And is there a best fogger/juice for a constant low billow? Cheaper is better.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I just send fog to where I need it with PVC pipe. I put a bigger pipe by the fog output and use couplers to reduce the size. This allows you to use a lower watt fog machine and send it to different props and using a small portion of fog. Either use a timer or even better wire it to a wireless relay. If it is too much in the yard just back off and activate it when you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can get foggers with built in chillers too. I just saw a ADJ mister kool II on amazon for $179. That's a 700w machine if I remember correctly. Probably cheaper versions out there with built in chillers. I have a 400w with a built in chiller that I think I picked up for about $100 years ago. It does alright, though I am not a fan of how often I have to refill the ice, as the chamber is pretty small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, any way to run multiple machin
You can get foggers with built in chillers too. I just saw a ADJ mister kool II on amazon for $179. That's a 700w machine if I remember correctly. Probably cheaper versions out there with built in chillers. I have a 400w with a built in chiller that I think I picked up for about $100 years ago. It does alright, though I am not a fan of how often I have to refill the ice, as the chamber is pretty small.
I like the look of that ADJ. Great suggestion. Any suggestions on rigging that up to the fogging zombie? Would be a cool effect to have him throwing up the gas everywhere and having it roll through the yard. The tube for the zombie has a standard 2”(?) connector and it looks like the ADJ has a nonstandard horizontal output.

Since that will peg out my budget, maybe I’ll try to rig both of the other props to the little 400 that came with the scarecrow. Maybe PVC for the runs? I’ve read elsewhere that you want a gap between the nozzle of your fogger and your tubing. How does that work without losing a bunch of gas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also, any way to run multiple machin

I like the look of that ADJ. Great suggestion. Any suggestions on rigging that up to the fogging zombie? Would be a cool effect to have him throwing up the gas everywhere and having it roll through the yard. The tube for the zombie has a standard 2”(?) connector and it looks like the ADJ has a nonstandard horizontal output.

Since that will peg out my budget, maybe I’ll try to rig both of the other props to the little 400 that came with the scarecrow. Maybe PVC for the runs? I’ve read elsewhere that you want a gap between the nozzle of your fogger and your tubing. How does that work without losing a bunch of gas?
I'm afraid you've lost me on that one. You'd probably have to rig up some sort of DIY adapter.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
Home Depot has what they call a 'Ground Fogger', which is a fogger with a built in Ice chamber. only aobut $60.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Home Depot has what they call a 'Ground Fogger', which is a fogger with a built in Ice chamber. only aobut $60.
Sweet! That might be the plan. Small enough for me to hide and I can use Froggy's cryofreeze in it. I suppose I'll just rig some tape to go from the long output nozzle into the circular zombie tube and then another cheap 400w for the third prop.

Maybe instead of timers this year, I'll put some quick dispersal fog in the Scarecrow and the storm cellar props, that way it doesn't create over-thick clouds.

Also, the three zombie-head fogger attachment ($20) is interesting if only just for the 3-way tubing sans the heads. That might solve some problems.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fog chillers only work if you can get the fog to a lower temperature than the ambient air. So depending on where you live, results will vary. It's typically about 40F on beggars night where I live. I've never had good luck with chillers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fog chillers only work if you can get the fog to a lower temperature than the ambient air. So depending on where you live, results will vary. It's typically about 40F on beggars night where I live. I've never had good luck with chillers.
I'm in the DC area, so it's a dice roll. It might be 80, it might be 55. We'll likely wet down the grass on the big night to try to help things along. Ordered the Home Depot ground fogger. Will post test shots and let you all know how it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started out with a 400w machine and quickly returned it for a 700w after I saw that it wouldn't produce 'thicker' fog. I now have a 700, a 1000, and a 1300. The Chauvet Hurricane 1302 will honestly do everything I need it to for my whole setup if I pipe the fog everywhere I need to (and I LOVE that machine!!!). I run Froggy's Freezin' Fog out of my machines. Just from my experience, I'd look at getting a bigger fog machine when you can - it makes a huge difference in the thickness of the fog, as well as the amount of fog that it can put out. I didn't think I would need much fog, but now I LOVE using fog. It gets cold here in Utah for halloween, so I can't always get it to stay on the ground, but I run it through a home built fog chiller anyway before dispersing it to the different locations via pvc pipe and corrugated tubing.

If you can get a 1000w fog machine, I don't think you'd be disappointed at all, but they are also usually around $100. Amazon has the Chauvet Hurricane 700w machine right now for $34 (link is below). It's a big step up from a 400w machine, and in my opinion, I wouldn't recommend a 400w machine to anyone unless it's free, a 700w is around the same price and does a MUCH better job. I'm just telling you from my experience, that once you start using fog, you'll want more. ;) A cheap fog chiller setup like the one that ThereWolf posted above would be a better way to go than the "ground fog" machines you'll see that you can put ice into... the ice doesn't last long in those and you can get a lot better results from a cheaper homemade fog chiller. Just my opinion here, but I've been through what it seems like you are asking questions about.... Fog is a lot of fun to play with when it comes to Halloween!! My fog chiller is made out of a 35 gallon rubbermaid garbage can... it's huge, but I don't run out of ice and it lasts the whole night.... I've even run 2 fog machines into it before with no issue. If you can, go for a bigger fog machine, you won't regret it. :giggle:

Here's the link for the 700w machine on Amazon:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I started out with a 400w machine and quickly returned it for a 700w after I saw that it wouldn't produce 'thicker' fog. I now have a 700, a 1000, and a 1300. The Chauvet Hurricane 1302 will honestly do everything I need it to for my whole setup if I pipe the fog everywhere I need to (and I LOVE that machine!!!). I run Froggy's Freezin' Fog out of my machines. Just from my experience, I'd look at getting a bigger fog machine when you can - it makes a huge difference in the thickness of the fog, as well as the amount of fog that it can put out. I didn't think I would need much fog, but now I LOVE using fog. It gets cold here in Utah for halloween, so I can't always get it to stay on the ground, but I run it through a home built fog chiller anyway before dispersing it to the different locations via pvc pipe and corrugated tubing.

If you can get a 1000w fog machine, I don't think you'd be disappointed at all, but they are also usually around $100. Amazon has the Chauvet Hurricane 700w machine right now for $34 (link is below). It's a big step up from a 400w machine, and in my opinion, I wouldn't recommend a 400w machine to anyone unless it's free, a 700w is around the same price and does a MUCH better job. I'm just telling you from my experience, that once you start using fog, you'll want more. ;) A cheap fog chiller setup like the one that ThereWolf posted above would be a better way to go than the "ground fog" machines you'll see that you can put ice into... the ice doesn't last long in those and you can get a lot better results from a cheaper homemade fog chiller. Just my opinion here, but I've been through what it seems like you are asking questions about.... Fog is a lot of fun to play with when it comes to Halloween!! My fog chiller is made out of a 35 gallon rubbermaid garbage can... it's huge, but I don't run out of ice and it lasts the whole night.... I've even run 2 fog machines into it before with no issue. If you can, go for a bigger fog machine, you won't regret it. :giggle:

Here's the link for the 700w machine on Amazon:
I also have a Hurricane 1302 and it is freaking awesome! And I'm running my fog through a 35 gallon trash can. And I live in Utah! What are the odds?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts