Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a bit of an issue this year and I'm hoping you guys can come up with some ideas to make Halloween a bit more fun.

Last year we moved to a new area, in stark contrast to the area we moved from there is absolutely no acknowledgement of Halloween. No kids trick or treating and no decorated houses or gardens. This is a bit disappointing and detracts from the fun but I can work around it.
Problem is Mrs Yoohaloo is going to be out of the country and I work from home so won't be seeing anyone during the day.

With no-one around to enjoy the day with my enthusiasm has taken a big hit and it may be that I'll do nothing this year. What would you guys do if you found yourselves in the same boat?

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's a shame when you find yourself alone on Halloween. However the holiday is as much a state of mind than anything else. So here's what to do to have one helluva solo celebration. :cool:You'll need a few decorations (they're for you, so chose your favorites), about three of your favorite Halloween/horror movies, an un-carved pumpkin, some newspapers to spread on the floor, some hot spiced apple cider (you can mix this with rum if you like, but non-alcoholic is just as good if you don't want any booze) a big bowl of Halloween candy (once again, your favorites) a Halloween mask and some sort of video capable camera. Now, here's what to do: Put out the decorations, turn them on if you need to, and spread the newspapers on the floor in front of the television. Pour some apple cider, set yourself in front of the TV and carve yourself the absolute, no kidding, best and most awesome Jack O' Lantern you have ever conceived while watching your favorite Halloween flicks. While you're doing this, call your mates and your missus and share some stupid Halloween jokes you found on line. You won't have an trick or treaters, of course, so you'll have to be all them as well. So here are the rules: Every time you reach into the candy bowl, you must first put on the mask and say "Trick or Treat" at the bowl. Then, and only then, can you have some candy. Take the camera and make a documentary of all this -- making it as sinister and silly as you can -- to share with your wife and friends for a good Halloween laugh later on. When you're done with the Jack O' Lantern, put a candle in it and display it for yourself or put it in a window or outside the door -- whatever makes you happiest. You'll find you've had a lot more fun that you might think, and if you do all this right, the Great Pumpkin might just stop by and pay you a visit!:D

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Some scarey movies and a couple of carved jacks will at least set the tone. But don't they do something for Guy Fawkes Night in the UK? I lived in North London for a short time and I recall sometime shortly after Halloween we had bonfires and fireworks...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll never forget my first Solo Halloween!!

I was in college and renting out a house with a classmate. She had plans to go out for the evening with her BF and I didn't feel like driving an hour to my parent's house to hand out candy with them.

So I decided to hand out candy myself for the first time. Boy did I feel like an "adult"! Even though you won't get trick-or-treaters- you can still have a good time. I ordered myself my favorite pizza with whatever toppings I wanted. I also had a case of beer and a blank pumpkin canvas.

There is always something spooky on TV Halloween night and I ended up watching whatever MTV show was popular at the time. (I recall it being a show where they give kids missions to do in scary settings). Anyway, it terrified me.

I lit a bunch of candles, turned down the lights and activated whatever decorations I had set up. I answered the door, ate candy and pizza, carved the pumpkin, and drank beer. All alone. It was awesome. I'll never forget that night.

You will have to tell us what you did and how your night goes! DavyKnoles has some great ideas above there too.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I am a fan of the above ideas-staying in and having a scary movie night alone with a bowl of sugar :) That sounds like my kinda night!
However, do you have the option of going to a haunt? Think how scary it would be alone? Or maybe someone you know would go along?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my self indulgent post, there are some great ideas in there.

I think you`re right about the pumpkin, sweets, movies etc, it`s exactly what I`ll do. We tend not to have haunts in the UK but I can swap that out for a spooky early evening walk with my cowardly beagle in the forest.

Bonfire Night is on the 5th of November and is held to celebrate the failed attempt by Guy Fawkes to blow up parliament in the 17th century. Fireworks and bonfires for that evening.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can't tell from your description if you're in a remote area where you wouldn't get many TOTs or if they just don't do Halloween there. If it's the latter, you could be the Halloween emmisary. You could just be the local crackpot who decorates for Halloween. Dress up in a costume, sit on your porch ready to hand out candy, carve pumpkins out in public - have a few extras for visitors to carve. Play some classic spooky movies in the window or on a portable video player or just spooky music. If you did some window projections or put up a sign explaining what was up, you might get some TOTs or at least curious onlookers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yoohaloo

we were the first in our neighbourhood, although several years ago.

why not stick a pumpkin (or a turnip!!) in the window and see if anyone comes.

think field of dreams - if you build it - they will come.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a few decorations out last year but the street seemed to be deserted all evening.

My house is a bit unusual. We live on the corner of a Cul de Sac but the garden is completely encompassed by a ten foot high hedge. It makes the garden ideal for decorating, unfortunately no-one can see it until they walk through the gate in that hedge.

I may have a crack at decorating the gate and the hedge but I get the impression that we just don't have the same community spirit around here as in the previous place. We bought a bigger house but had to compromise on the area a bit, if you know what I mean.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
davyknowles said it better than i think any of us could.

my first (and only) solo halloween was 2 years ago... i was living in a basement apartment. i had set up a few decorations inside for my viewing pleasure, bought a big bag of candy to pass out to trick or treaters and i sat in the dark living room watching tv all night... i dont remember if i did a horror movie marathon or if i just watched my usual tv shows... didnt end up getting even a single TOT so i was kind of bummed about that, but over all it wasnt a complete waste of a night.

davy's suggestion is the best one though. that sounds like way too much fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts