Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend disassembled a copier and gave me the solenoids and cylinders... does anyone know if I can use this and if yes, how do I hook it up. I'm used to using rainbird valves and washing machine valves...this is new to me.

thank in advance...

The valves say 24vdc 0,25A 6.0W

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
this will work for operating a double acting cylinder when you want to use air pressure to raise and lower the cyclinder shaft. Finding a portable 24v power supply may be a little difficult.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,462 Posts
If you check this out it will answer your questions.http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/77731-beginners-guide-props-pneumatics.html The center port is air in , the bottom 2 ports are for cylinder extend and cylinder retract, the top outer 2 ports are exhaust ports . The 2 coils control which way the valve shifts and whether the cylinder extends or retracts. the link is very helpful. As for the power supply try MPJA - Power Supply, Power Supplies, Security Cameras, LCD, Fans, Etc. they have a large selection and seem reasonably priced.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS! Let me go play around with this thing now...

Dennis

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is another one....

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,462 Posts
That's a manifold set-up , there should be an inlet and exhaust port on either end. One air inlet will supply all the solenoids. Nice score!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
those won't work at all - you need to send them to me right away so that I can dispose of them properly! - Just kidding!

Great find - the exhaust ports on the second one are on the top of the manifold with silencers attached to them.

I hope you have a big air compressor. Looks like these came out of the starship copy machine that used to be fairly common in the early 90's. I used to hate getting a paper jam in those - it would take you three days to find where the jam was.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can someone explain how I hook this thing up...air in/air out. I hooked up but got air out of all ports...do I have to plug the ones I'm not using?

I plugged the end and had the air coming in from the right side...

I'm lost.

Thanks in advance...

Dennis

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Can someone explain how I hook this thing up...air in/air out. I hooked up but got air out of all ports...do I have to plug the ones I'm not using?

I plugged the end and had the air coming in from the right side...

I'm lost.

Thanks in advance...

Dennis
Do you have a picture of the inlet side ? I would think that once you put air into the manifold, all of the "A" ports or "B" ports will pass air. When you power up a particular solenoid, it should switch the air flow from A>B or oppostie of where it was. cylinder out, cylinder back. There may be 2 inlet/outlet ports on it since it was used commercially. might have had an airline going to another block that you need to plug. Would help to see the other side of it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks...

Here are some pics of the Left - Right - and Front. I put a plug on the left side when I first tried to figure out how to use it...

Dennis

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,462 Posts
Have you tried hooking up the coils for the solenoids? When activated the air should switch between ports. You might also try connecting a cylinder to the ports and see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts