Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently most of my lighting is driven by low voltage power or by 110 AC. However I was wondering if anyone has tried using mostly solar lights. I see advantages and disadvantages of each but I wanted to start a discussion. Powering the lights with Low voltage or AC requires many more wires but does mean I can turn on everything all at once. I also do not have to be concerned with overcast days leading to not enough power for the solar cells. Of course the solar lights would eliminate the wires and simply turn on once it is dark enough. What are other people's feelings on these. I am particularly curious to hear from people that use lots of solar powered lights.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My experience with solar lights has always been that they are never anywhere near as bright as low voltage sets. The also fail due to cheap batteries and poor sealing around the solar cell.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
We live in Oregon where by the time Halloween rolls around, most days are cloudy. We've tried using solar lights for walkways and some props, but they never lasted more than two hours into the evening. Some of the solar lights we use for props were rewired so that they would stay lit all night. For us, they didn't work out. Depending on your sun exposure, you might be luckier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts