Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Horror off the Highway
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping around for "the other holiday" when I came across flood lights that are solar powered. I was wondering if those are any good? I'd love to hear any feedback if possible. Thanks! :)

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
i can't tell you if they are any good or not, but would love to hear if they are. it might be a good concept for those areas where there are no plugins.

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
Solar lighting has improved a great deal over the years, but still have some set backs. The biggest peoblem with them is that after a fe years of use, the batteries that run the light in the dark will not hold the charge as long as they used to. You may still get a few good hours out of them, but not a full night. especially with a 4:30-5 sunset.
You will also have a problem if you can't place the photocell pointing true south. You will not get a full charge out of the liitle bit of sun you get in the winter time. If you still decide to get a solar light, make sure you use the most energy efficient bulbs you can find. This will get you the most light out of a charge. Hope this helps:D

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I have a set of solar LED spots and they're OK. I wouldn't use them for lighting a large area, but for casting a focal light on a specific object or prop they were adequate. I don't think I'll get anymore, though. It's hard to get teh lighting effect I want out of these and a couple of dark days and I don't get much out of them that week. We got snow this morning so I'll see what that does to them. It's covered the solar panel completely and we're getting cold enough that they may stay covered for a while to come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts