Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it all put away, or at least out of the yard, but I've already got ideas for next year. I realized this year that while my graveyard came out great, it was a wiring disaster. My regular plug box worked, but it was just in the middle of the graveyard behind a tombstone and I figured I needed some kind of backdrop for the whole thing, so this year, I'm building a full-sized crypt that will be 8x4x4. It can house all of the electronics for the graveyard, a separate sound system, plus I'll have a thumper in the lid and maybe other effects as I get around to building it.

I also already ordered 6 new wiper motors and 20 reindeer motors that won't show up until sometime in November and I've got a couple of ideas what to do with those, but nothing concrete yet.

I'm also going to do a new set of pillars and gates for the entrance to the haunt, with a span of about 12 feet. The initial idea is to have animated gargoyles on top of the pillars, but we'll see. Those will also be home to power and sound for that area.

Anyone else have any new ideas for 2018?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
First off, thought I would share this with you Cephus, in case you haven't seen this before. Thought it might help with the animated gargoyle idea you have. This is just part 1, there are several more videos/parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRsifXvHBk

Anyways my main plans for next year is to build a monster in a box, that will work with a motion sensor. I also want to build an animated zombie using a wiper motor that will also be on a motion sensor. Those are my 2 must do builds. I also plan on making some nicer tombstones. I will probably put my other ones in the neighbors yard, just to do some decorating there. I eventually plan on moving my whole graveyard into their yard anyways, but probably not for another year or 2. Will need to figure out what I want to replace my graveyard with. Not sure what would go with witches. I'm also hoping to build some mini spots to light up each tombstone individually. That way I can use the LED floods for other lighting for better shadow casting.
If time and budget allows I may build a mausoleum with a FCG. If I can't do it for 2018, it will go to the top of the list for 2019.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mother nature decided for me. I moved my gallows prop out to the yard and my fingers sunk into the outside of the vertical piece because of the wood rot. Lucky it was in good enough shape to use this year but next year a new set of gallows will be built. I'm thinking I can design something that comes apart for easier storage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have plans to build more fencing and tombstones as well as a mausoleum to extend the display to the other side of my yard. However, these have been my plans for several years now. I'm all motivated right after Halloween, but real life soon steps in and chuckles at all this. We'll see if it actually happens. I'd really like it to seeing as we had a real good turn out this year and positive feedback from visitors.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since we experienced such an anemic turn-out for this year, I'm going to focus on either a plan to garner more attention to my neighborhood, or go join forces with a family that has a haunted trail in their backyard, and was swamped with visitors last night. I recoil at the idea of being an "employee" or just a member of someone else's haunt plans, so there is time to weigh the options available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was also happy with my haunt this year, but like any good tinkerer (is that a word?), I’ve also been brainstorming improvements or modifications to next year. I broke the budget this year so won’t be buying up any motorized parts until well after Xmas for me!

My big addition this year was to add an atmosfx hollusion effect to the rear of my graveyard. It worked out well, however unfortunately we live on a new street that has insanely powerful led street lighting here that completely washes out my set.

Short of throwing a rock at the street light, any suggestions on dealing with it would be welcome! So far I’ve approached it by using my own led coloured spots and flood lighting to “overpower” the ambient street light. Works surprisingly well for the set, But not so well with the hollusion screen when your trying to project an image that’s brighter than its own surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to do a graveyard / living statues theme next year. I drew up a sketch for a showstopper prop of a grim reaper shoving a spear through the chest of a knight. I’m hoping to build some new tombstones and I was thinking about gargoyles, too. Thanks for posting that link, HauntedWyo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Our "Camber of Darkess" walk-thru, a huge hit, will morph into Demented Circus where visitors will meet Psycho the Clown.
The Lost Trick or Treater will be graduate to a more visible spot in the Graveyard, as will the smallest (6'-4") Sentinal.
And more lighting.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Really great night for us this year everything worked great. Sat down yesterday to look at the map layout and figure things out for next year. Decided it is time to build our horse drawn hearse for next year. And then revamping and swapping out a lot of characters for next year. Already excited.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I want to do a graveyard / living statues theme next year. I drew up a sketch for a showstopper prop of a grim reaper shoving a spear through the chest of a knight. I’m hoping to build some new tombstones and I was thinking about gargoyles, too. Thanks for posting that link, HauntedWyo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are most welcome gneebster. I can't remember what I was looking for when I found that video, but I thought it was very cool. Thought maybe someday I may try my hand at it, so I bookmarked it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts
Well I literally just learned on Halloween morning that this neighbor runs a big haunted forest in our county. His brother lives behind us & he used to live there too but moved not too far away from us.
https://calleva.org/staff/paul-brubacher/

He helps run this pro haunt:
https://www.markoffshauntedforest.com/

I plan on making some sort of connection with this guy because 12 ToTers is not worth the work.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I went vintage this year, with a slight local-history flavor.

Next year is the 100 year anniversary of the Spanish Flu, so I'm considering "plague house/quarantine" as a theme.

Realistically, I'm just focused on cleanup, then I give myself a few months break from Halloween stuff. Usually between Feb and April I'll get my first inspiration.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have so many ideas i do not know where to start. It will all come down to money. I spent way to much this year. I am thinking skelliton attack or ballroom. Maybe a large spider and beef webs. I am almost out of space to store stuff. I had things i wanted to do this year but did not have the time. I might go with all projectors. I like the idea of turning the garage into a video wall. It all just costs money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd like the weather to be warmer, and less wind mostly.

I'd also like to get night pics/video.

I want less TOTS. 650 is too many/too $$.

I'd like to start a real haunt and charge $20 a pop x 1000 in one night=$20,000.

I want to TOTS to be less disrespectful.

Actually, I'd like to just set up a display, no TOTS. Sorry, you ruined it with theft and poor behavior.

I want a police officer on site.

I want to dress up as something extremely scary, so that no one will harass me like " we not scared of you" etc.... Michael Myers isn't enough, I guess.

I'd also like to be able to leave, if I want, without traffic blocking my street.

I don't ask for a lot, I ask for EVERYTHING. As I should.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Same theme for next year. I need to build a bigger spider. Build a new entry archway as you come onto my walkway and
im going to build some more tombstones...... also get a better sound system for my main soundtracks.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I just want to have some sort of plan! :D

I'd like to say I'm going to do something massive, but will probably concentrate on building a cemetery fence this year so I can finally get some of our tombstones displayed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts