Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you give just candy? What kind - the cheapest or the expensive? I hate buying a ton of expensive candy but I'm sure other people are like us - we throw out the cheap kind! What a waste. Do you give out any Halloween toys or anything else? Last year we mixed expensive and cheap bags of candy and I threw in some spider rings (which the kids all really liked). I'm just looking for some new ideas. Please don't say toothbrushes or toothpaste! :pI swear my boys each got like 4 sets of them last year - they were not happy!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I always liked getting the bug candy when I was a kid trick or treating, So I tend to give out that. Since there are not as many trick or treaters in my neighborhood, I go out and buy the full size candy bars and hand those out too.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
With over 600 TOT's on Halloween, we go economical and hand out fun size candy bars, and glo-sticks for the little ones.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Every year I hand out the full size candy bars and a variety of about 10 different ones! It's about $100 every year but I love seeing the Trick or Treaters faces when they see I'm handing out the big ones... it's priceless. It's very cool when you get a teenager that thanks you for giving them out as well. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Every year I hand out the full size candy bars and a variety of about 10 different ones! It's about $100 every year but I love seeing the Trick or Treaters faces when they see I'm handing out the big ones... it's priceless. It's very cool when you get a teenager that thanks you for giving them out as well. :D
yeah, so totally worth spending the money on TOTs (if only my mom would have the same views as us, but oh well ;) )

·
Registered
349 Posts
In the past we gave out minis or snack size, usually by the handful since we got so few TOTs. Since we started haunting last year, I expect our numbers to go up, but it's hard to predict. We'll continue to give out some candy, but since I don't want to get stuck holding the bag (bags of candy, that is); I'm trying to accumulate treats that I can keep for the following year. I got a bunch of the better quality temporary tattoos from Spirit's after Halloween sale last year. Might try to find a deal on glow-bracelets. Have a bunch of the LED clip-on lights that I could distribute if i don't use them this year. Would love to find more stuff that isn't just cheap junk that we can hold over if it doesn't get used.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's funny you brought this up I just received my order from Oriental Trading today. I bought two boxes of airplane gliders 72 in each box for $8.50 a box. 48 zoo animal ruler bookmarks for $3.49 x 2. 100 jack-o-lantern stickers for $1.99 each x 3. 48 skull and crossbones bouncing balls for $3.99. I always like to make up goodie bags in 2010 I put together 485 bags and they were gone a little after 8:00. I like to make up the bags for two reasons to get an idea of how many TOT's I get and I think they get a kick out of it. I will be curious how many TOT"s I will get this year wasn't able to do it last year because of the tornado wasn't back in my house yet. I also bought some small play dough at the end of the season in 2010 they have been in Temperature Control this whole time I need to check them out to see if they are still ok.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
We've always done full size in the past. This year, however, we are giving out whistles with flashing LED lights in them along with Giant Pixie Stix in attempt to be different. Last year we smashed out record of 9 ToT's and had 75 total. We are predicting just over 100 this year.

This is last years candy:

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Last year, we hit the 500 mark for trick or treaters and still had to turn a few away before we could get the lights off after we ran out. Not an inexpensive proposition! I usually do a treat bag with one fun size bar and a few pieces of bubblegum or other less expensive candies. The treat bags help me keep count and to control portions when the hubby starts to be too generous.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,280 Posts
We give out the full sized bars, a variety such as Snickers, Milky Way, Skittles, Starburst , etc I like to have leftovers of the 100,000 Grand and Twix so that we can have an excuse to eat 'em throughout the holidays. Breakfast is sure good when it's a 100,000 Grand... LOL

We let the ToT (and that includes tiny kids & teens & even any adults who are dressed up) pick out the candy bar of their choice. They can then choose a toy .
I've got Play Doh, animal sticker boxes, rubber insects & spiders & Disney card games. Oh and Halloween pencils. The pencils seem to be a hit and the teens like the Play Doh.... Hey do you suppose they are gettin' high off that stuff? Is there something I should know about ;)

And as was mentioned by another poster, it is sure nice to see the smiles over the big bars. It seems less costly since I pick up a box of 30 every other week from now until Halloween. The toy goodies I pick up cheap after Halloween for the following year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the great ideas. I think I'm definitely going to try treat bags so I can get a count of ToTs. And smart idea in picking up a box of full size bars every other week until Halloween. I was just at Sams this week - should have thought of that :confused:

·
Crypto Hunter
1,280 Posts
jenlea81

While in Sams you may want to look for the big box of Mars Variety pack. There is a bonus pack with 6 extra bars so you get 36 for the price of 30.
I think it has a good selection too:
10 Snickers
8 Twix
3 Snicker Almond
6 Milky Way
3 Three Musketeers
3 Snicker Peanut Butter
3 Dove Bars

I found this at BJ's Wholesale Club but it's probably at Sams too

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I usually do goodie bags too since it's a great way to keep count.

This year I'm doing Halloween Pez dispensers along with whatever non-candy stuff that's leftover from last year. I had a ton of skull bracelets, rubber bracelets, various rubber bugs & things like that leftover since we only had 30 kids with it being a weeknight & all. I expect about the same number this year (depending on the weather) since this year is another weeknight Halloween.

I'll also get some other candy but not sure what yet.

·
Undertaker
3,190 Posts
We had been giving out full size candy bars, bags of cookies and Kudos for the last several years. Howver, I might be unemployed by Oct 1st; if thats the case, prolly gonna be Abe Lincoln's instead.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
My god I wish I lived where you did! I would be in heaven with 600 Trick or Treaters!! Where abouts do you live?
It's fun but it's a non stop stream of kids and adults for two straight hours and it gets hectic keeping track of everyone walking through the haunt. Our numbers grew along with our haunt as very few other people on our street decorate, but these same neighbors now have to buy a lot more candy because we draw the numbers! LOL!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts